Overconditioned??

HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
Okay, I have been trying out some different techniques lately, but using the same products. I have no idea what I have done to my hair, but it feels very strange. Very soft and it feels lighter and has lost almost all of it's wave. I have washed it two days in a row now with the Yes to Blueberry which has a sulfate and it still feels very soft. Is it possible that it is overconditioned even though I washed it? I have read some threads that reccomend doing a PT to correct, but I just did one for the fist time a couple days ago. Should I do another one so soon? Also, I have noticed that my hair color has gotten lighter. It used to look dark brown/almost black. Now it is auburn. Even my husband remarked how much lighter it has gotten. Has anyone else had that happen?
Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
Current routine:
Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted

Comments

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Yeah, you may need some protein. You don't necessarily have to do a protein treatment. Light protein might be enough to help out. You could add some of that Ion Reconstructor or Ion Effective Care stuff from Sally's to your conditioner (not to the entire bottle, just in your hand), leave it on for a minute or two, then rinse. I use a daily leave in protein spray from Spiral Solutions. I only use it on wash days as part of my routine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    When hair is overconditioned, it will feel pretty mushy when it's wet. If you've washed 2 days in a row with a sulfate, I doubt it's overconditioned.

The change in color sounds like either a buildup problem (that you've removed) or if your hair is colored, the sulfate took a bit of color out. My hair changed color after I got leftover soap scum from soap bars out of my hair. It was such a richer and deeper color.

If your hair felt good after a PT, it wouldn't hurt anything to do another. Do your products you use out of the shower contain protein? I find I need protein at every wash for my curls to be at their best, whether it's in my RO, LI, or styler.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    Thanks ladies! I will try adding some more protein to my routine and see if that helps. I believe the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie has some protein in, but since it is so rich I only use a little bit.
    Current routine:
    I am fairly certain that I have misdiagnosed my hair. I think because it felt so soft I just assumed it was overconditioned. I have not done any other treatments. Just washed and conditioned. As soon as I get out of the shower my hair is already starting to dry. Then when it is dry it is super soft and fluffy and no wave. I did a PT several days ago (iagirls recipe) and initially my hair seemed fine. I guess maybe the treatment combined with the bit of protien in my product was too much. I also just noticed that the YTB conditioner has amino acids, which I just read are the same as protien. Eeek! How do I fix this? I just clarified and slathered my hair with a ton of conditioner (deva one c) and coconut oil. Do you think this will help?
    Current routine:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @Heathernator cute username!! Now that that's outta the way let's get down to business.

Okay so first off the shea moisture products contain silk protein etc. And I have read and can personally attest to the fact that those proteins have little to no affect on hair as other protein does. Hence I can get away with using it (thankful cause lawwwd knows where I'd be without sm).

Anyway what you did now should help. It may have just been buildup and your hair probably needed to be clarified. What have you been using to style?

Also with coconut oil and the deva one x etc. Just be careful. Don't get me wrong that shouldn't cause much harm if any at all. I'm just saying be careful because sometimes less is more and when you over complicate things for add too much at one time it can be confusing to figure out what is causing your hair to do what.

So that I can make it tricky for us to figure out what's causing your hair to do its doing right now. Maybe try to simplify your routine so we can narrow it down etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Thank you! :) You are right! Even my husband said I should chill out and not overdo it hahaha! It is hard to really describe, but my hair felt dry when it was wet and after I would apply product (my current routine: Kinky Curly Knot Today as LI, then a bit of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and last, some Herbal Essence Set Me Up gel) My hair would seperate into individual strands and was kind of stiff when I would try to diffuse, but not in a gel cast sort of way, but then when it was totally dry, it felt very soft. Does that make any sense? Other than the protien treatment I have been using the same products for the last couple weeks and was really starting to love my hair. So, I am not really sure where I went wrong.
    Current routine:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay so on days when you don't want the gel cast way to curls use just the smoothie. I know it sounds insane but just try it and see what happens.

If you want more of a gel cast-->which is actually good because it can really help you style...
    see when you apply gel to dripping wet hair in the shower (which I suggest) its easier to distribute. Scunch it gently and squeeze the water out once applied and then plop in a towel for some time. Experiment with plopping you will love it. Find how long is ideal for you. I honestly used to leave mine in a plop while I got dressed, ate breakfast etc. and then I would take it down.

The thing with diffusing is that sometimes it can disrupt your gel cast. You know how you were saying when you diffuse your hair feels dry in a not so gel cast way? Its because your using the smoothie underneath and that is making it dry not like a gel cast. Thus weighing your hair down.
    You can also try getting small clips and apply gel with your finger tips to your roots and a little on the clip. Then clip the pieces of hair at your crown etc. where you want the extra lift and leave them in. Once your hair is dry or even if you diffuse side to side (not upside down cause that would screw up the clip process lol) you then gently remove the clips without disturbing the gel cast. Instant volume when you scrunch out the crunch.

I used to also get lots of volume and definition by flipping my head upside down and diffusing when my hair was longer but I always preferred the wild big hair look and you might not be a fan lol.

When you use the smoothie alone (if you decide to) it will work similiarly. I used to put an okay amount and then plop. Let it air dry once you take it down and then scrunch out the imaginary crunch and viola!
    If you find the smoothie takes super long to dry I used to even spray it with the moisture mist to make it have a little bit of crispiness like a gel cast does.

I know this is a lot of info. So please let me know if you are confused so I can clarify.

Best of luck!!
    *Current Routine*

when trying stuff with your hair don't get frustrated. it takes some getting used to. After all there are so many techniques out there and remember: we are so lucky to be able to experiment. You can always wake up the next day and try again. So don't beat yourself up over it. And think about it we are so lucky to have that option. I have a younger sister who has the most beautiful naturally straight, reddish brown hair ever and she fries it and rips through it every day with a hair brush and flat iron. We always want what we can't have. Be happy that you can have Victoria's secret model hair without the hassle lol. My sister would be so mad right now haha

Its funny. Sometimes listening to your hubby may prove right. Although be careful lol. I mean if I was guy I would find it weird that my girl has to go online to figure out how many ounces of gel she has to put in her hair and how she should put it in etc. when I think she's beautiful regardless. Besides they'll be like I can't tell a difference while we're over here checking the dewpoints and whether our products have glycerin etc.

I have a little brother and he's probably a good indicator of when I should just relax lol.
    *Current Routine*

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    What was the protein treatment you used?

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Mustangbunny: I used the IAgirl's protein treatment. I used 1 package of Knox gelatin, almost 2 cups boiling water, several drops of coconut oil, 5 drops apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp of honey. I added the honey mostly because it made it smell better.

Bringingcurliesback: I also like the wild, big hair look. :) Thank you for all the advice! I am hoping the extra conditioner I used today will help and I promise to not try too many new things at one time so I can narrow down what the cause is. I have been having so much fun with my hair lately, maybe I just got carried away.

I think part of my issue is while I have been happy with my results recently, I still have not achieved my "perfect hair". I have a picture of me when I was 19 and it is one of my favorite hair pics! I think all I did back then was use some mousse and diffuse upside down with a volumizing diffuser and my hair was amazing. At least I thought so. :) Maybe I am just guilty of "loving" it too much. And it is possible my hair has changed over the years also.

P.S. Attached a copy of the pic of my 19 year old hair.
    Current routine:
    Cute picture!
    I don't want to confuse you further but I find that a full package of Knox is a bit too much for my hair. It definitely is different for everyone but protein overdosing is harder to come back from then over-conditioning. It took me a long time to figure out what that felt like but when my hair has too much protein it is flat at the roots, feels lightweight and flyaway and still is somehow soft and stiff. It's almost static-y feeling. It also starts to get straighter. A lot of people describe it as crispy ends but I don't ever get that feeling.
    When I'm over-conditioned my hair feels like it is never dry and the curls are defined but very frizzy and my scalp feels wretched and greasy. My hair also feels heavier.
    Hope that helps and does not make you feel more confused/frustrated!

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

That totally helps! Thank you! :) So should I continue to condition until it feels normal again?
    Current routine:
    Yes without a doubt conditioner is never ever a bad thing.

Maybe you should diffuse upside down and get yourself hold of a mousse. Since that's kind of how you did it back then.

I remember I used to just really use mousse back when I first started wearing my hair curly. The good old days ;)

Do let me know how it goes!!

*Current Routine*

That totally helps! Thank you! :) So should I continue to condition until it feels normal again?

Yes! I always know I'm on the right track because my hair starts to perk up right away, though it takes several washes for me to get back to normal.

Go Red Wings!

Yes without a doubt conditioner is never ever a bad thing.

Curly hair in a nutshell, haha.

Go Red Wings!

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Be careful with leaving apple cider vinegar on your hair, that might have something to do with the way your hair is feeling. If you're gonna leave a treatment on your hair for any length of time, you don't want something acidic like ACV sitting there.

My hair is always fluffy, but still curly after sulfate shampoos. The smoothie does a really good job at taming the fluffies and frizz. I agree with bringingcurliesback? that the protein in the SM products have very little to no effect on the hair. I need lots of protein, but after using those products for a month, I got overconditioned, my hair was mush and not curling as much.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hair does well with acidic products, most conditioners are. What it doesn't do well with is very low pHs or straight up drying acids such as neat vinegar or a strong dilution in water.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    My hair is almost back to normal. I have focused on just conditioning for the last few days. Did not use any styling products, just water washed or co-washed and conditioned. It is feeling much more normal. Today is the first day I attempted to style. Conditioned with Deva One C, used a tiny bit of Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie as a LI and scrunched in some HETT Mousse, then diffused upside down. Was happy with the results! Hair had a nice wave and no crunch. Will continue to try this routine and let you know how it turns out. :)

P.S. I am almost out of the Deva One C any suggestions for an equally moisturizing, protein free conditioner that I can pick up at Target or Wal-Mart? Thanks!
    Current routine:
    @Heathernator I think a good drugstore one other than shea moisture would be some tresemme naturals.

*Current Routine*

But its probably not heavy as you'd like but yeah its still good. Suave coconut is also good to keep on hand. Mixing for dt's etc. Too

*Current Routine*

Omg almost forgot my favorite was once yes to carrots but I just never went back to it idk why lol

*Current Routine*

Thank you Bringingcurlies back for suggesting I go old school and try styling my hair like I did years ago! My routine is so much simpler and I am sooo happy with the results! Apparently, my hair likes mousse! :) I even got a comment from a total stranger on how nice my hair looked the other day!! That is a first! :)
    Current routine:
    @Heathernator I'm so glad! ! And those compliments are definitely the best! My hair used to love mousse too. Hmm... haha

*Current Routine*