what colour goes with X eyes?

rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
okay, here's a repost of info i put here a couple of months ago in response to a question from Gretchen.

let's hope the system doesn't eat this one!

:D

if you have Blue eyes try - lilac, lavender, shades of brown, camel and taupe; pink is the new shade for spring, make sure you find one that doesn't make you look albino or teary.

if you have Green or Hazel eyes try - pinks [again, be careful of the tone], darker purples like eggplant, deep mauve and plum, darker blues are better than light ones, but avoid them if you have blue stripes in your irises.

if you have Brown eyes try - any shade of brown lighter or darker than your own eyes [i have to wear VERY DARK browns!], peach, steel blue, steel gray, dark purples [light ones could give you that albino look].

these are the shades that work BEST, but the nice thing about makeup is that you can experiment with other colours for fun!

enjoy!

My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Comments

• kennesawkennesaw Registered Users Posts: 29
    Rouquinne, have you ever heard of people being "allergic" to purple eyeshadow/liner? Do you know what the ingredient is that causes the problem? Thanks!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    strangely enough, i *have* heard that.

but i have no idea what causes the irritation. sorry! :(

it make sense that it's probably some interaction between the blue and red dyes. you might have to use a more expensive brand of makeup to find a purple you like that doesn't cause the irritation - and definitely one that's milled VERY finely; Bobbi Brown, NARS and the new MAC eyeshadows have this silkly texture that you have to feel to believe.

if you wear these shadows dry, you get sheer colour, but if you dampen your brush or applicator, you'll get more intense results.
    My blog:

• kennesawkennesaw Registered Users Posts: 29
    Thanks for the suggestions! It's hard to justify buying expensive eyeshadow you think you might be allergic to though. Personally, I think it's the red, because I do fine with dark blue.
    i suggest trying a more grey shade of purple.

it might have less of what irritates you.

and a more expensive brand is likely to have less of the irritant than a cheaper one. :(

a creamy formula might also be better than a powder.
    My blog:

• Confused CurlyConfused Curly Registered Users Posts: 229
    kennesaw wrote:
    Rouquinne, have you ever heard of people being "allergic" to purple eyeshadow/liner? Do you know what the ingredient is that causes the problem? Thanks!

I have that problem too. Even with the expensive stuff. The first time I noticed it was when I was about 18 with a Lancome liner. I have two purple MAC eyeshadows a bluer one and a pinker one and I have no trouble with them.

I've also noticed that purple eyeliner is dryer than other eyeliners.

Rou - what about dark hazel eyes or light golden brown eyes. Mine are a mix of golden brown and golden olive green. I don't really know if they are brown or hazel. They are kind of inbetween. I guess they are light dark eyes. Similar to Drew Barrymoore or Demi Moore.
    Do you know why they call it "PMS"? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was taken.
    --Unknown, presumed deceased
    cali, i'd do the green/hazel ones for best effect. but definitely try a couple of other colours and see what works.

i've done rust with dark blue and it looks strangely good on my dark brown eyes!

My blog:

• HairproductjunkieHairproductjunkie Registered Users Posts: 363
    Rou, what color eyeliner would you wear with brown eyes? I usually use a toupe or burgandy colored eyeshadow. I've heard that I should use brown eyeliner because I have brown eyes, and that I shoudn't because it makes my eyes not stand out. I'm CONFUSED!!!
    GuardianB wrote:
    Southern gals rock :!:
    if you have really dark brown eyes like mine, you can definitely get away with black, though it might look harsh or biker-chick-like or goth if you've got pale skin!

i wear really dark brown [Bonne Belle Midnight Bark or Espresso] but dark charcoal grey would work too if you don't want to wear black every day.
    My blog:

bumping for amt!
    My blog:

• AmmerieDriftsAmmerieDrifts Registered Users Posts: 73
    rouquinne wrote:
    bumping for amt!

Thanks for your advice in the other thread and for bumping this - you're awesome!
    bumping for Naz!
    My blog:

• Kurly_NazzyKurly_Nazzy Registered Users Posts: 76
    posted this in general beauty tips
    but i'll post it here now
    "but what about brown eyes?
    my eyes look hazel in the sun
    and when i try using differnt colors
    to bring the hazel out
    my eyes just look darker
    i've tryed white black olive green
    differnt shades of brown
    silver, gold, blues
    it all just makes my eyes look darker
    (i'm a yellow/pink based tan,light tan)
    any suggestions?
    thanks ppl"

rouquinne i've tryed the colors you've suggested
    and they just make my eyes look darker
    or the color looks bad with my skin tone
    i have a very unique skin tone and alot of the "for brown eyes" colors ppl suggested in magazines and on boards either make me look washed out
    make my eyes look darker or both
    i'm going to have to fine a picture of some one with the same skin tone as me if that would help..
    unless u can help with out one
    thankyou.
    n
    very thick brown 3b/3c curls
    ::::::::........
    purple, very dark blue [ MAC Intoxicate, which i suggested to jp]?

what's wrong with making your eyes look darker? that's what i try to do all the time because mine take on a reddish cast in sunlight, i can't even claim hazel. :(

is there an actress or model or singer that has a similar skin tone to yours?
    My blog:

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I must be loosing it. All this time I thought this thread was about people with cross eyes.

:oops:
    hmm.. thats hard i'm kinda a cross between
    Nadia
    bjorlin1101a_small.jpg

and Salma
    hayek.jpg

just their skin tone though!
    thx
    n
    are you trying to achieve a natural look like Salma's?

she appears to be wearing medium golden brown with dark brown liner.

there are several colours from MAC and Cargo i could recommend, but you really have to try them first.

the best thing is an all-brand beauty event at a store, and it just so happens that The Bay is having one across Canada at the end of the month. it's called Girls Night - an annual beauty event that takes place at all Bay stores in April. they have live music, snacks, makeup demos and makeovers at all the counters, generous free samples, and draws for gift baskets. i won the draw at the MAC counter 2 years ago - and, no, it wasn't fixed! ;)

the tickets are $10 and i think it's worth it.

i'd go to Arden and ask about the colours they use on Catherine Zeta-Jones in some of her ads, and i'd try Cargo and MAC. [Cargo has a lovely lipstick that i can't wear Casablanca, that i think you should take a peek at.]

Holt Renfrew is also having a lot of makeup events this month - but the brands are pricier. :( Laura Mercier is this coming weekend, Bobbi Brown the following weekend, and Stila on the last weekend of the month.

i'm so sorry i can't be of more help. if you like, you could fly here to Ottawa and we could go shopping together! :D
    My blog:

so gold?
    yeah a long time ago i wore a goldy green eye shadow and ppl kept asking if i was waering contacts
    i'll try gold and see how it goes
    thankss

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file