Tips for big chop (with transition)

MerdibirdyMerdibirdy Registered Users Posts: 5
Can anyone suggest some styles or any tips for that matter for after the big chop? I know not everyone's hairs the same and i know what works for my hair heath wise, but if you have something to suggest my ears are open. I am big chopping for new years after transitioning for 10 an a half months. My hair is 3b and 3c/4a (my hair is a much looser curl in the back than say the crown). Also i only have the gist of what my "curl pattern" is because of mini chops and old pictures. But thanks to my mom not allowing my to bc sooner i go back to school 2 days after bc-ing so i need to get it together lol.

Comments

• lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    How long is your hair now, or can you give an idea of about how mych you need to take off?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • MerdibirdyMerdibirdy Registered Users Posts: 5
    My hair (unstretched) is shoulder length all around
    The back at most has an inch of relaxed ends while the front has about four inches of relaxed ends
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    Ok, you won't lose too much length in the back. My front and nape are way shorter than my middle now. When I bc'd I had more length in the back than front. I wore wash and gos a lot with headbands or pinned back in some way. I don't mind going out with a wet head but its not that cold where I am either. Now I'm really loving doing braids or flat twists in the front like a headband. You could also try washing at night early enough to have damp hair at bedtime, and braiding or twisting sections loosely. Take down, fluff and refresh as needed in the morning.
    You could also probably get away with a fake cinnabun tutorial I saw on you tube. It used a puff, looped and pinned down pieces to tuck the ends.

Have you experimented with any hairstyles already?

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • naturaltee813naturaltee813 Registered Users Posts: 2
    I kinda did the big chop and small bantu knots have been my go to since I have and inch or less left from my relaxed ends. Doing this has helped trained my new growth and also helps it blend in with my relaxed ends.

Once it grows out a little more I will start to experiment with twist out. Right now I rock it in a fro- hawk

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
    Merdibirdy wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest some styles or any tips for that matter for after the big chop? I know not everyone's hairs the same and i know what works for my hair heath wise, but if you have something to suggest my ears are open. I am big chopping for new years after transitioning for 10 an a half months. My hair is 3b and 3c/4a (my hair is a much looser curl in the back than say the crown). Also i only have the gist of what my "curl pattern" is because of mini chops and old pictures. But thanks to my mom not allowing my to bc sooner i go back to school 2 days after bc-ing so i need to get it together lol.

These links are from "fefe912", who is on here. I thought her styles were so cute:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ily-world.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ve-styles.html
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte

These links are from "fefe912", who is on here. I thought her styles were so cute:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ily-world.html

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ve-styles.html

She has amazing styles! I love it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte

Also, if your crown hair is shorter that may account for the tighter curl. My curls get looser as my hair gets longer. MahoganyCurls, [on youtube], said you can't gauge your hair type during transitioning, [I definitely agree with this, too much permed hair attached to determine], and right after the BC, you have to allow your hair to grow out a bit.

Just a thought...
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Leave a Comment