CurlTalk

Spam

curry curlscurry curls Posts: 969Registered Users Curl Dabbler
I can't figure out how to report posts on my device. The are at least 7 pages of spam in the general hair forum. Yikes!
Started CG July 8, 2008 :)

3[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Rinse out: Ion Effective Care Treatment
Leave-in/Styling: Alba Botanica leave in with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner :love2: on top

Comments

• sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    Yes, this is disgusting. They're taking over the general discussion on hair portion of this forum.
    Can't they be blocked?
    Do you have a limitation that people have to be a member for a period of time before posting?
    These seem to be new posters with many different names.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    They are back again.
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    Would be nice if could report from the app
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Would be nice if could report from the app

You can. Tap the post like when you're quoting, and hit either more or report (can't remember which) and spam is an option.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Thanks! Didn't notice that lol. Will report from now on
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    Thanks curlycanadian
  • sdkittysdkitty Posts: 358Registered Users
    they're back.....at least first two pages of message board is covered

can't these people be banned?

they are spoiling your/our board!
  • MarixpressMarixpress Posts: 91Registered Users
    This is out of control!
    Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
    3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
    SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
    Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users
    Omg wth is going on!!!!?

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Ladies, I am as puzzled as you are as to what is going on. We (mods) are working as quickly as we can to get rid of the spam. Trust me it is painful for me as a member, but more so as a mod. :sad3:
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Wow, 10 full pages of it on the general discussion board.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    What is going on is that this forum has been targeted because it's so easy to spam here. I expect that it will get worse and worse.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    JLeighs wrote: »
    What is going on is that this forum has been targeted because it's so easy to spam here. I expect that it will get worse and worse.

And it has come true: worse and worse
  • TrickTrick Posts: 140Registered Users
    We need to make it harder to sign up for an account, that would drastically reduce the spammers. Those Captcha thingies (where you have to type a generated phrase or words) during the signup process are annoying but they ARE fairly effective.

2c/3a, fine, low porosity.

Poo: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean (yes, it has A Sulfate!!, but I have Teflon hair)
    Co-wash (when I feel so inclined, which isn't often!): VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner
    Conditioner/LI:
    same for both -- whatever I have in the shower at the time (I experiment a lot)
    Style: EcoStyler Olive Oil <3
    Dry: Diffuse or air dry, or both...depends on my mood

• sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    ^ Completely agree!
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users
    This site is on crack lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    It would help too, to have new members' posts moderated and/or have them be unable to post links until they reach a certain post count. It would be fairly easy to tell who was artificially trying to increase their post count by what they posted, and potential spammers could then be banned before they caused major issues.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • atx_eveatx_eve Posts: 278Moderators
    So Ivan one of our tech guys sat down with me and here's what we talked about:
    • A captcha for every single post is annoying and we think there are better ways to prevent the spam. We have a captcha for registering, which means that the spammer is a real person in order to register, but then once they register, they get the spam bot and put it to work :angry5:
    • He could create logic in CT that limits someone's posts per 30 minutes. Since CT is an active forum we don't want to put that limit on someone who's already a legitimate active user. So Ivan looks at the time SINCE creating an account. We all know that people usually look around for a while before they start vigorously posting lol so Ivan can write code that essentially says "If you just created your account, we'll flag you as spam if you made 3+ posts in the first 30 minutes" or something like that.
    • Several regular users have been flagging things as spam and I am very grateful! Thank you so much :angel2: Another solution is to actually allow a user to ban spam, instead of just report it.

This is what we're working on today. Ivan also reads this thread. Thanks!
    :hiding: NaturallyCurly.com Social Media + Community Manager | evelyn@naturallycurly.com | Happy To Be Nappy | Kenyan With The Slowest Mile Time | Magical Black Girl
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,255Registered Users
    I think options 2 and 3 are both reasonable solutions, and I agree, option 1, a captcha every time anyone posts would be annoying /overkill. Although it might be ok as a short term assist in keeping the spam down, I dislike the idea of penalizing everyone for the actions of a few.

On the 2nd option (limiting new members to no more than 3 posts in 30 minutes before flagging as spam), I could see spammers maybe seeing the warning and simply waiting till the 30 minutes is up before actively spamming. Perhaps instead of a visible notice about it during initial signup, the new member could be warned later, say when they attempt to write a 4th post in under an hour. "Warning: You are in danger of being flagged as a spammer and banned. Please reduce your posting frequency" or something similar, perhaps as a pop up message so it can't be missed.

On option 3, I'd like to think that most veteran members could handle that level of responsibility without abusing it. However, I could see someone accidentally tagging a post or a thread as spam simply because they weren't paying good attention. Would there be any kind of higher level oversight or override capability if users were given the ability to flag spam? Is there any way to allow the mods to restore a post /thread that was deleted in error?
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users
    A captcha would definitely be annoying! Especially for us active posters who tend to comment on a lot of threads (another reason why limiting posts per 30 minutes would be quite irritating).

I think the idea of new members only being able to write a certain amount if posts in the beginning would be good. As would allowing other users to ban spam. We'd have to be careful with that last one though and make sure all the people in charge can be trusted :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • MadQueenMadQueen Posts: 73Registered Users
    I used to administrate a website and practically eliminated spam by adding the following question to the sign-up form: What is this site about?
  • nc-vanillanc-vanilla Administrator Posts: 50Administrators Administrator
    Thanks for the feedback.

@BotticelliBrit: The 30 minute time thing would only apply to new accounts. This is from a patter I noticed that spam accounts would be created and in a matter of 10-15 minutes they would have 10-20 spam posts.

@MadQueen: Our registration is tied into the rest of the system and not solely done through vBulletin. From what I've seen the registrationIP matches the post ip about 60% of the time.

Woke up this morning and I haven't seen any spam. Following a recommendation from a mod, I plugged in some logic that doesn't let new accounts post any links. They need X number of posts before they can submit links, images, etc.

We'll continue to be on our toes watching this. And I thank you all for your support.

-Ivan
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I think this is a step in the right direction, but (if feasible), I think that the requisite number of posts should be "quality"--that is, something like "I like your hair" wouldn't qualify as a quality post and wouldn't be counted toward the post total. Then a mod should approve the member to move up to the next level. That's what LHC does, anyway. There the idea is more to keep out f*tish types, but same general principle.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    Thanks for all the hard work in trying to get the spammers outta here

They're back...:-(
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    The spammers are terrible today! Happy New Year!
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,270Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    And they've began invading the Newbie forum too. Ugh. What is the deal? Why this forum? I wonder what the deal is. I've been on an awful lot of forums in my time, including those using vBulletin and this never happened. What is attracting the bots??
  • nc-vanillanc-vanilla Administrator Posts: 50Administrators Administrator
    Happy New Year. I cleaned up that spam. My next approach will be to add in some of that "throttling" logic. New users will only be able to post X many posts.

Thank you for your patience and support.
    Thanks for what you do to help out with defeating the spammers
    chupie wrote: »
    And they've began invading the Newbie forum too. Ugh. What is the deal? Why this forum? I wonder what the deal is. I've been on an awful lot of forums in my time, including those using vBulletin and this never happened. What is attracting the bots??

BF's Mum got a virus from a quilting website and I waxed philosophically at work on why a spammer would target a site where wee little old lassies frequent. A tech savvy guy piped in with, "because the wee little old ladies are an easy target." The spammers here are thinking we are an easy target :-(

Leave a Comment