ISO alternative to AG: Recoil Curl Activator

curvesncurlscurvesncurls Posts: 154Registered Users
So I tried a search and couldn't really find what I was looking for and I thought I'd post a question for opinions. I recently got a hair cut and I'm now finding that AG: Recoil is an HG for me. I always liked the results, but now I can use it without a gel and get really nice waves/curls that are soft, bouncy, and last at least 2-3 days. I'm in love!! Unfortunately, I'm also broke. I don't have to use a lot of product, but it's so expensive. I want to find something cheaper to get the same results. If anyone has any suggestions of things to try, I'd really appreciate it! It's important to me that products be cruelty-free and I would like to find something less chemical-y than the Recoil if possible. TiA for any help!
Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam

Comments

• HisreputationHisreputation Posts: 39Registered Users
    I'm not sure I'm qualified to answer this one, but I will share what I've recently started experimenting with. I asked for opinions on a wave booster, and received several recommendations for the AG: Recoil. I was concerned about spending a ton a of money on a product that would dry out my hair (as several posters cautioned that it might). I was also experimenting with diluted gel for easier distribution, so I just added some Epsom salts (same stuff that makes Recoil great) to my diluted gel solution. I got wonderful results when I sprayed this on dry hair and then diffused for 5-10 minutes. I have mid back length hair that I really have to coax the waves out of, and this seems to really help. I've only tried it a few times, but I've seen great potential.
    Low-Poo: Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse Out: Yes To Coconuts Conditioner
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    yes i would recommend making your own flax seed gel and experiment with epsom salt (mag sulfate), a curl enhancer.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • curvesncurlscurvesncurls Posts: 154Registered Users
    Great ideas! I've never tried my own flax seed gel but since I'm off for the holidays maybe I'll give it a shot. Does the Epsom salt affect shelf life at all?

Hisreputation, when you added the salt to the diluted gel, did it disolve on it's own or do you need to let it disolve in warm water before you mix it into the gel? Any drying effects?

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
    Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
    Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
    Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
    Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    I have the ISO Bouncy Creme. I have not used it recently. It has a VERY strong fragrance. I was having a lot of issues with frizz when I first started and I believe I was using too many products that had a lot of humectants in them, so I stopped using it. I also wanted a product with more natural ingredients. I will have to give it another try sometime and see how it turns out.
    Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
    2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
    Current routine:
    Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
    Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted
  • HisreputationHisreputation Posts: 39Registered Users
    I put the Epson salts and the gel into an empty spray bottle then add some warm water. Some gentle agitation is enough to get everything dissolved. Today, I made a second batch and used about a teaspoon/ teaspoon and a half of Epson salts, a teaspoon of gel and a cup of water. I didn't get as great results, but.there are several other factors that might have contributed to that. Next time, I'll probably add more salts and gel. As to drying, I've only used it three times, but I haven't noticed anything yet. I felt like it made my hair shiny when I used it in a humid climate.
    Low-Poo: Giovanni TTTT
    Rinse Out: Yes To Coconuts Conditioner

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file