Finger detangling- Is it worth it?

lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
Currently I detangle once a week with a large shower comb and I don't get an abnormal amount of shedding.

I do a coconut oil pre-poo for about 60-90 minutes using a shower cap. Afterwards, I spray my hair with water and soak it in V05 Moisture Milks conditioner for slip and separate it into 4 sections to detangle. Afterwards I jump in the shower to co-wash with Tresseme Naturals conditioner and I usually run my fingers through my hair repeatedly to rinse everything out.

I used to detangle in the shower but repeated drain cloggings have forced me to detangle before I shower lol.

I don't really have a problem with my current detangling routine because I'm not losing a ridiculous amount of hair. What I'd like to know is if finger detangling really makes a difference? What are the benefits?

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found that finger detangling just doesn't work well for me. Or maybe I still haven't mastered it yet. I detangle in the shower and after I put my product in I usually comb it again with a wide-toothed comb. I tried finger detangling and it didn't make much of a difference for me. I'm interested to hear what others have to say though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Finger detangling made a phenomenal difference to my hair and my overall routine.

I used to spend ages ripping through my hair with a comb and would lose a bunch of hair, but finger detangling is done in a couple of minutes and I lose next to no hair. Plus I have zero breakage now & no split ends. I think a lot of my split ends before came from combing and brushing!

It's just quicker, easier and better for my hair really, because I can feel the tangles and gently pull them apart. With combs you can't do that and are literally pulling knots until they come out. Finger detangling allows you to separate the hair and get rid of knots more easily & more 'safely'. I can't see myself ever going back to combs!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    I think it is very individual as I did try to "save" a step and detangle with just oils/conditioner dry and my scalp actually started hurting. I was finger detangling mind you- not with a comb though. That was an awful experience, lols. In the shower I haven't noticed too much of a difference one way or the other as long as I have a conditioner with good slip. Today I used a comb to see if there was a difference and I didn't notice too much of one. I don't know if this will be different once my hair gets long enough to brush my shoulders curly.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I found that finger detangling just doesn't work well for me. Or maybe I still haven't mastered it yet. I detangle in the shower and after I put my product in I usually comb it again with a wide-toothed comb. I tried finger detangling and it didn't make much of a difference for me. I'm interested to hear what others have to say though.

I believe I commented on this topic in one of your posts already :). At the time I hadn't tried much finger detanglig but lately I have been trying to it more. While I haven't completely stopped using a comb and I'm not 100% satisfied with the finger detangling I want to do whatever is best for my hair (least damaging). I think I'm making progress.....
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SortaRican wrote: »
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »

I believe I commented on this topic in one of your posts already :). At the time I hadn't tried much finger detanglig but lately I have been trying to it more. While I haven't completely stopped using a comb and I'm not 100% satisfied with the finger detangling I want to do whatever is best for my hair (least damaging). I think I'm making progress.....

Glad to hear you're making progress! I agree, and want to do whatever is least damaging to my hair. I have stopped using the one comb I used to use (the teeth were very close together) and have just been using the wide toothed comb I have. I try to just use it in the shower when there's conditioner on my hair and have noticed less breakage, but I've noticed that finger detangling doesn't work as well on the top of my head at the roots (it clumps together and looks horrible). So, I just take the comb and work on that part without combing the rest. Seems to work (for now)! I think I'm going to try finger detangling more though!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

• lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    One thing that does concern me about finger detangling is the ability to remove all shed hair. I don't see how you could get it all out just by finger detangling and that's important because if you don't get all of it out, it'll cause more knots and tangles with your "good" hair.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It honestly just depends on your preferences. I hate combs, no reason in particular. Even when I wore my hair straight, I rarely used a comb or a brush. I figure if I have a natural comb on my hand, why the heck would I go out and buy one?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • MadQueenMadQueen Posts: 73Registered Users
    I shed a lot of hair every time I detangle and I've never had a problem with removing them by finger detangling. It's the gentlest way to detangle and it has worked for me so far, but my hair is not very long and it doesn't tangle much, so there's that. If you're getting a lot of tangles, then it might not work as well.
  • MadQueenMadQueen Posts: 73Registered Users
    sixelamy wrote: »
    It honestly just depends on your preferences. I hate combs, no reason in particular. Even when I wore my hair straight, I rarely used a comb or a brush. I figure if I have a natural comb on my hand, why the heck would I go out and buy one?
    Because with a comb it's like having a hand with many more fingers. ;)
    lovebonita wrote: »
    One thing that does concern me about finger detangling is the ability to remove all shed hair. I don't see how you could get it all out just by finger detangling and that's important because if you don't get all of it out, it'll cause more knots and tangles with your "good" hair.

I remove all my shed hair! I section my hair when I finger-detangle so all of the shedding is removed, as well as tangles. I wouldn't be able to just straight finger-comb without sectioning my hair (well, I would, but it wouldn't be half as easy)

DC:

• testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was a big skeptic when it came to finger detangling because I have a lot of hair and I also shed a lot. However, I have been finger detangling for almost two years now and I it has made a huge difference. The amount of shedding is about the same for me (and I have no problem removing all the shed hairs) but I am no longer experiencing damage from excessive manipulation. I used to have to comb through my hair, run my fingers through several times and then often comb again.

I have also found that finger detangling has cut my detangling time in half (at least). I thing this also has something to do with the CG method in general. As my hair has become better moisturized it tangles much less.

Oh and one more thing, I detangle in the shower and finger detangling has helped me not get hair down the drain because the shed hairs come out in my hand.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users
    lovebonita wrote: »

And this is why i went back to using detangling tools on my hair...whether its a wide toothed comb or my new Tangle Fix tool....I found that I HAD to go back to using something bc after just finger combing for about a year...i started finding dreads in my hair in the shower...and they were all consisted of mainly shed hair! Also...i had tons of SSK's...now...i don't really see as many as i used to!:blob:

I'm going through some sort of hormonal change right now too and my hair is shedding a little more...so finger detangling is a no no for me. I used to love finger detangling only but after the nightmare of my hair creating its own free form dreads....no:disgust: lol
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair can get some pretty bad knots. However, I have been finger detangling for about 8 months. I noticed when I used a comb, my scalp would hurt because of how much I was tearing. It still can take me up to 45 minutes to detangle with my fingers, but it doesn't hurt. Plus I have more control over the knot. I did; however, ask for the goody tangle brush for Christmas, just as a back up for the days my knots get ridiculous where my fingers simply don't cut it. ;)
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I try to finger detangle but my hair is so thick it doesn't work so well. I love my tangle teezer & denman brush.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with BoticelliBrit and sixelamy I kind of started finger detangling by accident and can't even remember the last time I used a comb because I needed it.
    I tried nopoo for a year with baking soda and acv and read that you had to brush your hair to distribute sebum needless to say I was a dry frizzy mess with tons of breakage and used a wooden comb and boar bristle brush. Cringe cringe lol

Anyway I like finger detangling because I lose close to no hair. And seeing my sister and mother rip through their hair as well as hearing the snapping as well as seeing it on the ground is probably enough to keep me doing what I'm doing. After a while it just comes natural. Don't get frustrated. Learning to do it will be so worth it. I think the coconut oil pre poo will definitely help. I've been long overdo for that and here I sit with my head saran wrapped with a beanie underneath- supercute lol.

I know a lot of people like to use a denman after removing every other row and detangling gradually starting from the ends and making their way to the top. Remember to saturate you hair with conditioner before though.

Another way if your finger detangling doesn't really make you satisfied is dry detangling. I used my shea moisture smoothie to do that once and it was great too. I know it sounds weird but I didn't have anything :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Experimentation is definitely key here!!! Please don't give up as a curly sistah I urge you to believe and just be gentle/patient. Don't ever do your hair when mad or sad etc. Bad things can happen. Its so easy to get frustrated with a tangle in yout presence so knot worth it. (Wink wink knot instead of not get it? Lol I'm quite lame)

Checkout the detangling article as well. There is one on naturallycurly.com abd you can find it througb search. Its quite helpful ;)

*Current Routine*

• VelociraptorVelociraptor Posts: 6Registered Users
    Finger detangling landed me in a lot of trouble with my hair! I finger detangled for two months and my hair began to form serious knots which led to me having to cut off a significant amount of my hair. This may have just been me, but I would say finger detangle with serious caution :)
    I find that finger detangling still gets a lot of the loose hair out, but doesn't separate the roots as needed. I'm still experimenting, and I love hearing everyone's opinions!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• CurlyCitaCurlyCita Posts: 152Registered Users
    I tried finger detangling for about a week. I like it but at the same time I love my wide tooth comb. I do not feel as though it makes a huge difference but I believe that with my hair, I am able to get more tangle out with a comb rather than my fingers. Sometimes I will do a little finger detangling before I actually detangle with my wide tooth. I feel as though as long as you don't hear ripping or anything, either way could be fine. :)
    Hair type: 3c/4a, high shrinkage :/, high density,medium porosity. ~1inch to APL stretched. Big Chopped: Oct. 2012
    Routine & Products: Sundays- DC on dry hair w/Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream & Olive Oil. Wash w/As I am Coconut Cowash. Condtion&detangle w/any VO5 conditoner. Braid in 5-8 braids w/Shea Moisture Smoothie.
    Wear braidout rest of week. Rebraid every night.

MAYcowash w/VO5 conditioner mid-week and rebraid again. I always unbraid w/Coconut oil on hands.
    Oh sorry. Btw my hair has a 3c curl pattern with high density. I use Tresemme Naturals or Cantu She Butter Leave In to detangle on soaked hair. Just now tried Shea Moisture Conditioner and i like that too.
    Hair type: 3c/4a, high shrinkage :/, high density,medium porosity. ~1inch to APL stretched. Big Chopped: Oct. 2012
    Routine & Products: Sundays- DC on dry hair w/Cantu Shea Butter Leave in Conditioning Repair Cream & Olive Oil. Wash w/As I am Coconut Cowash. Condtion&detangle w/any VO5 conditoner. Braid in 5-8 braids w/Shea Moisture Smoothie.

MAYcowash w/VO5 conditioner mid-week and rebraid again. I always unbraid w/Coconut oil on hands.
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    Ok- this thread really made me start paying more attention to what my hairs look like when I detangle in the shower. This is what I've found for myself: I definitely prefer finger detangling to a comb. I spread out the hairs from my wide tooth comb and those from my fingers on separate occasions in the shower to do this. What I found was that I actually lost more hair with the comb, but some of those hairs were actually shorter and not shed hairs. With my fingers pretty much all the hair I lost was shed hair, and there were few to no hairs without the bulb on them.

I can't thank you enough, lovebonita! Well I guess my hair can't thank you enough- I had removed my comb from the shower and put it back in just to revisit after replying to this thread. I guess I know now that I don't have to worry as much if it's not there. Good luck with figuring out the best route for you!
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
    I finger-detangled last week and while I didn't LOVE it.. I didn't hate it. I can tell I definitely need to practice this but I'm all for something that reduces breakage. I'm glad I helped you!
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I finger de-tangle and have for 11 months, it works best for me.

I tried using that large tooth shower comb with the beads on the end and although the comb through was very easy after a few weeks my ends looked terrible. I had to trim my ends so I went back to finger combing and my ends are beautifully curly.

I haven't had a problem de-tangling and I have been getting "4-day hair" with my process.

I de-tangle every night by sectioning my hair, spritzing it then finger combing before either braiding or "pineappling" it then wrapping in a silk scarf. I finger comb to style in the morning. Doesn't take long at all.

I have three different solutions which I alternate using to spritz with each night, "Purified water mixed with 1/6 cup SM CH Styling Milk", Purified water mixed with 1/4 cup Aloe Vera" and "Purified water mixed with I tbsp KC Curling Custard"...which I store all three in spray bottles in the refrigerator.

To co-wash, I apply coconut oil to my scalp, massaging as I go. Then I section my hair and coat each section with conditioner, finger combing as I go. I leave in for a few minutes, squeeze out in the shower, and "lather" under water, and rinse.

This doesn't take any longer than when I wore my hair straight. My hair stays moisturized so it is easy to de-tangle.
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • GermanaijaGermanaija Posts: 44Registered Users
    For me, I find I do lose less hair when I finger detangle. To be honest though, I just don't have the patience to do it. I've done it a few times and unless my hair was detangled and stretched the day before its just too long to do and I get frustrated lol. When you get frustrated with your hair you'll end up being rougher with it anyway so I just use a wide tooth as gently as I can.
    My hair gets way too many tangles for me to leave the comb alone.

Sent from my C6903 using CurlTalk App
    @CurlyCita I think that is most important above all. Your definitely doing the right thing. Combs and brushes aren't bad its the way their put to use that can be bad. I cringe because my mom and my sister rip through their hair with brushes and combs. You can literally hear and see it snap off when their getting ready to go somewhere. The worst is they start ripping through from the very top of their heads too. They think I'm crazy when I tell them I haven't brushed in ages. Yet I'm the one with a collection lol: I have a boar bristle brush, two hair picks, a rattail comb, wooden comb, and a tangle teezer lol. But its cause I'm obsessed with braiding my cousin's hair! And I'm a hair junkie!

One quick tip though dry detangling is great when using your fingers especially with the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie (atleast I've found). And then whatever you do don't flip your head upside down in the shower (I'm guilty of this) because it can ruin all the hard work you put in to detangling. If you combe or brush your hair when wet I highly reccomend doing it in the shower slathered in conditioner and using either of these: a wide tooth comb, tangle teezer, or a denman with every other row removed. Best of luck on your "knotty" quest lol (I'm a corny loser). ;)

*Current Routine*

@bringingcurlies oooh my goodness ive flipped my head over in the shower before. Smh never again. U are so right. That tangles curls right back up.

But yes great tip for everyone as mentioned: SLATHER with conditioner first before detangling. Ends to roots. Plain water may not work on curly hair because even water can slightly strip hair and there will be no slip forreal

I finger and comb detangle but only use my comb now if i havent detangled in a while which i try to do atleast twice a week.

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do everything upside down from washing to styling, I get best volume and root wave from that. I prefer it for washing and detangling, it's easy to get right in at the scalp.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    I flip my head upside down in the shower after I've put my conditioner in so I can give myself a little head massage :)

DC:

So I finger detangled this weekend and I loved it! I still prefer to detangle on damp hair vs. wet hair so this was my routine:

I pre-pooed with coconut oil then split my hair into 5 sections. I sprayed each section with water and added Roberto V05. Then I detangled, working from ends to roots just like I would if I were using a comb. When I detangle with a comb it usually takes me about 15-20 minutes and it didn't take too much longer with my new method. After I detangle a section, I two-strand twist it. Then I hop in the shower to co-wash with Tresseme Naturals. Usually I rake through my hair with conditioner on it during this process.

I loved it! I had like zero breakage, only shedding, and I really felt that I got most, if not all of the shed hair out.

Okay so here's where you guys are probably gonna judge me/laugh at me lol:

I don't detangle in the shower because I HATE the feeling of loose strands of hair. I really HATE HATE HATE it with passion that burns like the fire of a thousand suns. Combine a loose hair with water x the 50-100 strands we are supposed to lose per day x 7 days worth and you have the recipe for the biggest anxiety attack ever and who wants to find their loved one passed out naked in the shower with tangled hair?? When I used to detangle in the shower I'd just immediately rinse my hands under the shower stream and let ALL my shed hair go down the drain, resulting in clogging of epic proportions.

I always wash/handle my hair upside down in the shower, for a related reason to above; I hate getting loose strands of hair stuck to my body. Luckily, I haven't had any adverse affects from flipping upside down, and I attribute that to the fact that I wear twists in my hair to get into the shower and only undo them once my head is already upside down so there's no Baywatch flipping going on in the shower.

Gaahh I'm a weirdo lol.
    I can only cowash and shampoo upside down myself but I know a lot of people who have extremely tangle prone hair especially from the "flip back". I also style upside down too because it can distribute better too and then it goes into a plop from there (also upside down). Gosh come at me!!! :P

*Current Routine*