Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!!

sara.adams.5sara.adams.5 Posts: 8Registered Users
So I've been doing CG for a about a month now and it was going okay but my hair is very limp, kinda frizzy and not clumping together the way I would like.

This is my current routine
* Cowash with L'Oreal Everclear Cleansing Conditioner and comb my fingers through my hair.
* Rinse
* Add a pump of L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity Defying Leave in Cream
* Coat my hair in Curl Keeper
* Add a dime size amount of Herbal Essenses Totally Twisted Gel
* Scrunch like crazy!
* Plop with a teeshirt for about 20 mins
* Let it air dry

Here are some pictures for reference
This is before CG
Pre CG.jpg
This right after I started
AfterCG1.jpg
AfterCG2.jpg
This is today! As you can see I'm not happy haha
AfterCG3.jpg
Curly type: ??
Porosity: Low
Density: Medium
Width: Medium
Length: Medium (Past Shoulder to Bra Strap)

Co Wash/ Rinse Out Conditioner: Suave Natural Coconut
Styler: Curl Keeper/Herbal Essenses Set me up Gel
Sealer: Live Clean Argon Oil

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe you have buildup? When my hair goes limp and doesn't curl like I would like, it usually means it has too much buildup and is weighed down. But I'm not an expert. Maybe you can try cleansing it and see if that helps? Best of luck dear!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• sara.adams.5sara.adams.5 Posts: 8Registered Users
    I have a bottle of Live Clean shampoo (its sulphate free) that someone left at my house.. Would that be enough to cleanse?

• lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I have a bottle of Live Clean shampoo (its sulphate free) that someone left at my house.. Would that be enough to cleanse?

Yep you might need to clarify because of that Herbal Essence gel.. It probably has silicones in it which build up without the use of a sulfate cleanser..
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lovebonita wrote: »

Yep you might need to clarify because of that Herbal Essence gel.. It probably has silicones in it which build up without the use of a sulfate cleanser..

Agreed! I think that might help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• JanetteJanette Posts: 2Registered Users
    Post results x
    I thought it was silicone free... maybe I was wrong! Any suggestions for another gel or maybe a mousse? :)

I thought it was silicone free... maybe I was wrong! Any suggestions for another gel or maybe a mousse? :)

Take a quick look at the ingredients when you get a chance. Dimethicone is the most common silicone in products.

I personally really love Kinky Curly Curling Custard as my styler. It's got a really snotty texture but if you can get past that it works miracles at defining and clumping!
    Edited because 1. MadQueen is right and PEG 12 Dimethicone is water-soluble and 2. so are parabens. Learn something new every day!
  • MadQueenMadQueen Posts: 73Registered Users
    PEG 12 Dimethicone sounds like a water-soluble silicone. Aren't they easy to wash away?
    Well shoot! And I got it off a Curly Girl Approved list of products too! So do I have to start my CGM over again? A sulphate free shampoo will not be enough to remove it?

photo 1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

I gave it wash with a sulphate free shampoo, then co washed with Tresemme Naturals and tried a mousse instead of the gel (made sure it was silicone free :thumbleft:)

Way better curls today!!

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some of the Herbal Essences gels are CG. Look for ingredients which end in -cone, -conol, -col, or -xane, which are all cones. I don't do well with any cones, so I avoid the ones which are water soluble, as well as those which aren't.

Either way, it may help to clarify once.

What I don't see in your routine is a rinse out conditioner, which is an important step in CGing, more so than leave in. I would also recommend your trying the baptismal (a.k.a. sprinkle) rinse, in which you throw two or three double handfuls of water at your hair, then squeeze excess water+conditioner out in your bare fists. I had much better luck with Curl Keeper as a year round product once I started doing this. (I had emailed Jonathan Torch of Curly Hair Solutions for suggestions about using it in winter, and he replied that the key was adequate conditioning.)

I second the suggestion of Kinky Curly Curling Custard. However, I think you might do better with Jessicurl Spiralicious Styling Gel or Confident Coils (I suggest requesting a sample or two of it, or getting a two ounce bottle so you can try before investing in a full sized bottle). In fact, FSG (such as Jessicurl's Rockin Ringlets Styling Potion) is probably something you'd do well with, as it gives great clumping and seems to dry nearly weightless.

Root clipping would also help.

If you don't have a copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here), I strongly recommend getting one, and reading it cover to cover, as well as watching the videos. There's a lot of useful information tucked away in places you might not expect to find things which pertain to your hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • KikiFinKikiFin Posts: 34Registered Users
    Also, you could try increasing plopping time. I have 3a curls and the longer I plop, the better they get in terms of volume and form.
  • etosetos Posts: 221Registered Users
    My hair goes limp when I don't use proteïn for a while. You could also try a PT and see if that gives you more volume.
    highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
    wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
    RO + LI: different every time
    Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
    Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm pretty sure the HE Totally Twisted gel is CG unless a recent formulation change. PEG = water soluble so CG.

Several things could be working against you.... maybe your hair doesn't like the L'oreal cowash, maybe you're layering too many products, maybe using too much product. Maybe you're getting buildup from something. Try less, see what happens.

Have you figured out your hair properties (porosity, hair width, density, elasticity)? Pick products based on your specific properties and the dew points in your location... not necessarily what everyone else is using/doing is going to be the answer for you.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • MyLittleCurlyMyLittleCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    Hey!

A couple questions.

I noticed you are low porosity. Have you read up on any of the characteristics of that? I ask because with low porosity hair its very easy for it to get weighed down. That being said. You may not want to do cowashes but do sulfate free shampoo and conditioner (cowash did NOT work for me).

Also, do you know if your hair likes protein? I ask because I actually had the limp problem when I first started CG. For me, I found that my hair was overly moisturized (yes that can happen) and so it needed more protein to help balance it out. You have medium width hair though, so I would try smaller amounts first in case your hair doesn't like it.

L'Oreal brands dry out my hair. I have heard people like Giovanni's 50/50 shamoo. I haven't tried it. I second Curl keeper (it's also water soluble).
    New to accepting my curls :D
    Curl type: Finding this out! ,Porosity: Really Low, Density: Medium/Thick, Width: Fine

Poo: Deva No poo, Curl Junkie Daily Fix
    RO: Deva OneCon, Curl Junkie Strengthening
    LI: ??
    Products: ??

Hair likes: Protein (maybe)
    Any advice is greatly appriciated :afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file