Dying hair dark red

AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Registered Users Posts: 180
Currently, I'm a dirty blonde. I've never used any chemical treatment or color on my hair before. I really want to dye my hair dark red, like the pictures attached. I'm definitely going to go to a salon, but I have a few questions. First, exactly how damaging is it? I'd definitely step up the protein and deep conditioning masks. Secondly, how often would I have to touch it up? And is there anything in particular I need to know about taking care of dyed hair? Thanks!ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1387245706.495537.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1387245718.007242.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1387245732.841469.jpgImageUploadedByCurlTalk1387245750.893115.jpg

Comments

• Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    How damaging it is depends on the health of your hair before you dye it. Dye can be damaging and drying. Also with red dyes they tend to fade rather quickly to a brown color I found out. Maybe try research Henna as a healthier alternative?
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Permanent chemical red is evil for fading out due to the size of the molecules, what is the most damaging is not necessarily the initial application but 'refreshing' the lengths each time. This can cause high porosity on the ends which means the brown molecules can build up and red molecules fade even faster.

I ended up switching out from permanent red to a high pigment semi permanent and have far better colour retention, more even and far less damage. Semi permanent may or may not take well on virgin hair depending on its condition and porosity.

To reduce damage from a permanent colour process you can pre treat with coconut oil and/ or hydrolysed protein (wheat or soy). These ingredients are also proven useful for aftercare, as are ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

For best colour retention reduce water exposure: use dry shampoo to stretch washes, leave in instead of rinse out conditioner, only acidic products, a super gentle cleanser (red shampoos are useless and often harsh), cool water only never hot. Avoid long intensive conditioning sessions because this leaves the hair wet and cuticle raised so dye molecules leach out.

Body art quality henna is certainly an option that is non damaging but it is VERY permanent, so be sure you actually suit the colour before jumping in. It can also loosen curl pattern for some. The advantage of any DIY service is that you can run strand tests on shed plug hole hair or hidden head hair when you run your skin patch tests.

Although salons may be more experienced, the health of hair is not their priority only aesthetics. They offer many highly damaging services from flat ironing to relaxers to bleaching.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BruchildaBruchilda Registered Users Posts: 126
    Firefox 7275 I m really following your usefull posts.:compress:

How can you tell if a product is acidid from just reading the label?
    Leave-ins should as well be acidic ?
    You mentioned hydrolised wheat or soy. What about hydrolised keratin? I find this ingredient in quite a few conditioners.

You say henna can be very permanent, but I have read that the real henna is only red.. any other colours are additives no relative to henna (not that I care but if this is the case, could they be as permanent and stable?)
    However I think that bodyart henna is black.
    (I m always interested in superpermanent jet black/blue black:albino::albino:)
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Body art henna dyes hair reddy-orangery-brown. It is a greenish powder. If it's black it's had a chemical added to it which could leave you with chemical burns on your skin.

I used body art henna on my hair earlier this autumn.

The difference between body art henna and henna for hair is that body art henna has finer grains.

Plus the henna that I've used for hair has herbs like Alma added to it. This makes it more acidic and makes the colour it dyes hair more brown.
  • BruchildaBruchilda Registered Users Posts: 126
    naahh I m not interested in any color other than jet/blue black...
    Ive been dying it more than 5 years that way. If I could find something to be superpermanent on this color it d be excellent :P
    Thanks for ur answer!
  • Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    Indigo is a black dye I believe but I don't know much about it?
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    [email protected] is correct - you want to use henna and indigo if you want a natural black dye.

You can either mix the indigo in with the henna before application or henna your hair first and then put indigo on your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file