Honestly, I'm shocked I even still have hair!

lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
7 Mistakes Many Naturals Make | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care

After reading this article, I thought back to all the dumb stuff I put my hair through once I thought I could *because I was natural*.

*I never deep conditioned.
*I used so much shampoo, I'm surprised I didn't scrub my strands away.
*Not only did I bleach my whole head to go blonde, I flat ironed it without any product/heat protectant.
*I passed my flat iron over the same sections multiple times.
*I used my heat tools on the highest settings; I burned off a section of hair with my curling iron once.
*I never slept with a scarf on my curly hair.
*I would go weeks without combing my hair, straight or curly.
*When I did comb it, I would rip my comb or paddle brush through it without any concern for breakage.
*The products I used contained mineral oils, silicones, alcohols, and all kinds of foolishness.

I can't even begin to explain how it is that I still have hair growing from my own scalp. I would have given up a long time ago, but my hair still keeps hanging on lol.

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I too am guilty of these things. I used to shampoo my hair DAILY. And with the worst shampoos too. Sigh. I also used Pantene like it was going out of style and just loaded the products on so that I didn't have to deal with the frizz. Oh, my ignorance should have ruined my hair! Luckily, I found this website and am now loving my hair. And I have a younger sister who comes to me for advice and we share tips and tricks, so now she doesn't have to make the same mistakes! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm exactly the same! I never deep conditioned, I used to use straighteners almost every day and go over the same sections of hair multiple times. I even used curlers without a heat protectant AND I would rip through my hair with combs too. It'd come out in clumps!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • mizzmizz Posts: 12Registered Users
    I did the same. I also relaxed my hair as I got sick of my curly hair at one stage. Also always used to comb my hair dry took me ages to realise I need to comb it only when wet.
    3A/3B Pattern , Medium texture, Low porosity, normal density, and high elasticity.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Me too! I cannot even count how many times I burned my ends off with either my blow dryer or my flat iron. I literally smelled and saw the burnt hair fall from my hand. And I really didn't care. I look back and wanna slap myself! I thought the higher the heat the better, because it was so hard to straighten my thick hair in spots without really high heat.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights