Leave-in recommendations

BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So I'm on the lookout for a new leave-in as I'm really not loving what I use now. I don't find it all that moisturising and it tends to sit on my hair if I apply it to dry hair.

Ideally I'd like one leave-in product to use on my wet hair (nothing too heavy, but I don't mind creams and butters) and also a lighter product to use on my dry hair in-between washes. Or hey, if you know one that's good for both then yay!

I have 3A hair, low porosity. So all of you fellow 3s or fellow LP gals, let me know what you've used and loved! Or if anyone else knows something that'll work for my hair type, that'd be great.
3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
DC:
Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Comments

• JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    I am major low porosity and have 3a hair, and my favorite leave in in the entire universe in Kinky Curly Knot Today. It NEVER causes buildup or weighs my hair down. I've cowashed with this stuff and it is great. The best slip I've ever experienced, all day moisture, and I mix it with water to spray on second day hair. The ingredient list is short and natural. If you haven't tried this, you need to.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't tried it! I figured that was just a conditioner and didn't know it could be used as a straight leave-in too!

What's the consistency like?

DC:

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    KCKT isn't a conditioner, it's a detangler. If you're looking for a leave in *conditioner*, you probably won't be happy with it.

I've started using the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus conditioner as a leave in, and it's pretty amazing!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    Actually I have to co-sign on the KCKT as a leave-in. It's my favorite one so far it's light, non-greasy, and super moisturizing!
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    KCKT is actually marketed as a leave-in and detangler. If you read the bottle, it says "leave-in/detangler". It is extremely moisturizing and perfect for my LP hair. It's a pretty light consistency. It's white/clearish, and has some air bubbles. It has marshmallow root which is amazing for LP hair because it is moisturizing and adds slip, but no weight. It's very smooth and easy to distribute. A lot of people, especially youtube gurus use KCKT. It's a MUST try for every curly.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • CurlieCooCurlieCoo Posts: 38Registered Users
    I love KCKT as a leave in and haven't traded it out for anything else since I started using it because I'm just that happy with it.

In fact, my daughter has straight/wave hair now (that's how mine was when I was her age) low-porosity hair and it was constantly in a tangled mess so I now use a dash of the KCKT on her hair too as a leave in and it makes an amazing silkiness to her hair.
    #1 Recommendation: "Search NaturallyCurly" search function for great info:smilebox:
    ~2C/3A~ Density-High Porosity-High Texture-Medium Climate-HIGH humidity Water-Hard well
    Low-poo: Nature's Gate Tea-Tree Cond: Suave Naturals, Organic Coconut Oil Leave-in: KCKT Styling: KCSS, KCCC, Dr. Bronner's Organic Hair Creme
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Today was my first day using the Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In-its funny you happened to post this lol ;).
    Anyway I will admit its on the pricier side but I will say its about the same as KCKT. I love KCKT but since I used it mainly as a detangler--> it seemed to be much more useful when my hair was longer. Now that its winter I wanted a nice glycerin free leave in.
    I think its good so far.. it smells nice and I can see it being good for conditioner only styling etc. It smells kind of sweet. I'm not a huge fan of the smell but all my products are quite fragrant so when mixed together they resemble something different anyway.:D
    I'll keep you posted on how I'm liking it still if you want.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Okay, so the general consensus here is that KCKT is pretty awesome as a leave-in, so I'm definitely going to try that out! And the consistency seems kind of perfect (not too heavy), so I'm excited :D

Anyone have any other recommendations?
    Today was my first day using the Curl Junkie Beauticurls Leave In-its funny you happened to post this lol ;).
    Anyway I will admit its on the pricier side but I will say its about the same as KCKT. I love KCKT but since I used it mainly as a detangler--> it seemed to be much more useful when my hair was longer. Now that its winter I wanted a nice glycerin free leave in.
    I think its good so far.. it smells nice and I can see it being good for conditioner only styling etc. It smells kind of sweet. I'm not a huge fan of the smell but all my products are quite fragrant so when mixed together they resemble something different anyway.:D
    I'll keep you posted on how I'm liking it still if you want.

Yeah, please do!

DC:

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ingredients wise Knot Today is indeed a detangler not a true conditioner, regardless of name, it's not rich in the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants) and is pH 7 do won't 'reset' the hair or encourage the cuticle to lay flat after shampoo.

That isn't to suggest it is a bad product, not everyone wants/ needs a true leave in conditioner, some get enough of an effect from their rinse out so just need products that, say, clump/ enhance curl or hold the style thereafter.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    I like KCKT as a leave in, but my favorite is As I Am leave in. It leaves my hair very moisturized without weighing it down.
  • KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    I would recommend shea moisture extra moisture detangler, (I dilute it , but ot makes more product!) Also people like as I am leave in, but it's not moisturizing to me. KcKt is nice but not very moisturizing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @KiraSavannah Do you have to order the detangler online?

*Current Routine*

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love as I am leave in conditioner. It has great slip & makes detangling a breeze. It's creamy but light. Very moisturizing. Plays well with just about any styler.
  • pearlcurlpearlcurl Posts: 8Registered Users
    I didn't know KCKT was a detangled and not a li per say! That's my fav! Love the consistency and scent!
    2c
    Modified CG since Dec. '12 (but had several false starts)

Favs right now:
    DevaCurl No Poo, One Condition
    KCKT
    CHS CK
    KCCC, DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

Have been trying more and more to embrace my curls and not abuse them but I still like to straighten sometimes!
    :afro: ;)
    Thanks ladies, these all sound great!

DC:

• wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Botticelli Brit... you don't list your hair texture (fine, medium, coarse)

Are you looking for an LI w/ protein or without? That's important!

I have fine hair on the lower side of the porosity spectrum. Regularly using KCKT made my hair limp. I don't usually use an LI at all, but when I do it must have protein, and it must be light. Of all the stuff I've tried, I like SheScentIt Okra Hair Repair or Giovanni Smooth as Silk as leave-ins the most. I once layered SSI Okra with SSI Vanilla LI (spray) and that worked out well too.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
    wavydaze wrote: »
    Botticelli Brit... you don't list your hair texture (fine, medium, coarse)

Are you looking for an LI w/ protein or without? That's important!

I have fine hair on the lower side of the porosity spectrum. Regularly using KCKT made my hair limp. I don't usually use an LI at all, but when I do it must have protein, and it must be light. Of all the stuff I've tried, I like SheScentIt Okra Hair Repair or Giovanni Smooth as Silk as leave-ins the most. I once layered SSI Okra with SSI Vanilla LI (spray) and that worked out well too.

Oooh yeah, thanks for pointing that out. My hair is medium! And I don't mind if it has protein or not, since my hair doesn't seem to have a problem with protein.

I didn't know the Smooth As Silk line had a leave-in, or do you just use the conditioner as a leave-in? I'm quite interested to try Giovanni products as I've heard some good things and I can get them locally, rather than online!

DC:

This is my second day hair after using the Beauticurls Leave In last night.

It just occurred to me. Boticelli Brit have you ever used regular conditioner as a leave in? Now that I think about it I jever formally used a leave in conditioner very often before I got kckt or this cj leave in. I always just leave a little bit of my conditioner in.

One thing you probably cannot go wrong with although I personally have not tried is the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. I have never heard a person hate that.

*Current Routine*

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is my second day hair after using the Beauticurls Leave In last night.

It just occurred to me. Boticelli Brit have you ever used regular conditioner as a leave in? Now that I think about it I jever formally used a leave in conditioner very often before I got kckt or this cj leave in. I always just leave a little bit of my conditioner in.

One thing you probably cannot go wrong with although I personally have not tried is the Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. I have never heard a person hate that.

*raises hand* I hate it - on wet hair. Eww. Sorry to be the downer.. lol It is great on dry hair for me though.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

I do baptism rinses on weekdays when I wash my hair, so I leave some of my regular conditioner in and don't use a leave-in. But on weekends I do a deep condition and don't want to leave my deep conditioner in, so I'd rather have an actual leave-in product. Also I don't want to waste my normal conditioner by applying that after I rinse out my DC as it's quite expensive lol.

Plus I also want a leave-in / moisturiser to put on my hair in between washes to keep it from drying out :)

DC:

• SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCKT is a leave in. The behentrimonium methosulfate is a conditioning agent. Unfortunately it is lower on the list of ingredients. I like it because it's light. Lately, I have been combining it with KCCC and I have gotten optimal results. But it is whatever floats your boat.
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    I agree with Samanthascurlz. It also has marshmallow root which conditions & softens, as well as cetyl alcohol. I've used it a lot and it does condition my hair. I do like As I Am better because it is more moisturizing, but I def agree that KCKT is not just a detangler.
    @sixelamy and @BoticelliBrit. I am loving the Beauticurls Leave In but I have only used it twice. Once on dry hair and once on wet. I will say that it felt like it worked more on dry hair. Another thing is although I like it its not miraculous or super show stopping. Its just another leave in conditioner to be completely honest. And I'm starting to feel that way about Curl Junkie in general. Its amazing and smells lovely. I love the packaging and it makes me tingly just using it. But a lot of the products have yet to real me in head over heels. Ladies we have very similiar hair and my verdict at the moment is: its fine but it ain't know Shea Moisture that's for sure. I LOVE SHEA MOISTURE.

*Current Routine*

Here's a couple pictures you might find useful. A list of ingredients as well as product claims etc.

*Current Routine*

That's weird it uploaded the same picture twice lol. Well here are the ingredients

*Current Routine*

I agree with Samanthascurlz. It also has marshmallow root which conditions & softens, as well as cetyl alcohol. I've used it a lot and it does condition my hair. I do like As I Am better because it is more moisturizing, but I def agree that KCKT is not just a detangler.

Do you know where I can get the As I Am leave-in? I'm in the UK and can't find it on any of my usual sites!

DC:

@sixelamy and @BoticelliBrit. I am loving the Beauticurls Leave In but I have only used it twice. Once on dry hair and once on wet. I will say that it felt like it worked more on dry hair. Another thing is although I like it its not miraculous or super show stopping. Its just another leave in conditioner to be completely honest. And I'm starting to feel that way about Curl Junkie in general. Its amazing and smells lovely. I love the packaging and it makes me tingly just using it. But a lot of the products have yet to real me in head over heels. Ladies we have very similiar hair and my verdict at the moment is: its fine but it ain't know Shea Moisture that's for sure. I LOVE SHEA MOISTURE.

Me too! Their shampoo & conditioner are OBSESSIONS of mine haha

DC:

@BoticelliBrit I'm also getting to the point where glycerin is just dumb. I'm starting to not care anymore lol.

*Current Routine*

• lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    Have you guys tried Giovanni Direct Leave-in??
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lovebonita wrote: »
    Have you guys tried Giovanni Direct Leave-in??

I want to try it so bad. Some people like it better than KCKT and it's a little cheaper too! But I still love me some KCKT haha
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file