Is it just me..

lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
Or do new naturals say what they won't do a little too quickly?

I remember saying "I'll NEVER do henna; that's way too much work and this isn't that serious."

I remember saying "I'll NEVER trim my ends with the search and destroy method. That's way too much work and this isn't that serious."

I remember saying "Protective styling is so stupid. What's the point of having long hair if you always wear it up?"

:afro:Y'all I do all of these and more because my hair IS that serious!

What do you do now that you swore up and down you would never do for your hair?

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I told myself I'd never be a product junkie....

hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    Conditioner only styling will never work for my hair. . .one week in and my hair has never retained this much moisture!

"Well I guess it's alright for some people to go without silicones and sulfates, but my hair will probably be fine without them. . ." Bwhahahahahaaaa says me now, my conditoner only routine is cg friendly. :-/

"I don't understand why people feel the need to make all these homemade hair treatments, it's not that serious." I've made my own shea butter mixture and some hot oil treatments, planning on trying IAgirls protein treatment soon, among other things, lols.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I actually don't think there's anything I said I wouldn't try. I was quite open to trying things when I started CG and, since I'm only a few months in, I'm still really eager to experiment.

But there are certain things I don't think I personally need to do, and so can't see myself trying any time soon, like protective styling.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »

hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

If I wasn't so scared of buying fail products, I'd be a huge product junkie! As it is I'm too worried I'll waste my money on stuff that won't work (I know, I'm such a penny pincher haha)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • bobbybobby Posts: 785Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lovebonita wrote: »
    Or do new naturals say what they won't do a little too quickly?

I remember saying "I'll NEVER do henna; that's way too much work and this isn't that serious."

I remember saying "I'll NEVER trim my ends with the search and destroy method. That's way too much work and this isn't that serious."

I remember saying "Protective styling is so stupid. What's the point of having long hair if you always wear it up?"

:afro:Y'all I do all of these and more because my hair IS that serious!

What do you do now that you swore up and down you would never do for your hair?

I told myself that I would never grow my curls out again but I have learned to embrace having them. I pretty much stick to my routine, which I keep fairly simple. However, I would be open to trying some things. However, dying/coloring my hair are not options, neither would perms. Not going to screw up my hair with chemicals. However, I would be open to doing a perm rod set.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always said I'd never give up the 'creamy crack', but I did.

Not reducing my shampooing. I have. (Once a month)

Never use organic products. I use some.

I didn't think I would have to change my hair care routine. But I did once I realized my hair would be better off for it. So glad I did.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I used to think leaving the house with wet hair wasn't an option. Now I realize I can't live my life like that. I don't feel great about how it looks but I just don't care anymore. I'm too busy for that. I started CG to make my life EASIER, so I'm not going to be a slave to my insecurities.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mustangbunny you are so right. I went natural & cg to simplify my life. Since I've simplified my routine. My hair & I are much happier for it.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice

hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

If I wasn't so scared of buying fail products, I'd be a huge product junkie! As it is I'm too worried I'll waste my money on stuff that won't work (I know, I'm such a penny pincher haha)

Save receipts and return them to the store! I've returned lots of products. :D
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users

hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Save receipts and return them to the store! I've returned lots of products. :D

I actually returned about $30 worth of non-CG friendly stuff to Walmart about a month ago.. It was wonderful!
  • naturallyjaznaturallyjaz Posts: 63Registered Users
    I said that I would never become a product junkie, but I am one. I'm currently waiting on two products to be delivered to me and this past Sunday went to Walmart for food and house things, and ended up being another hair product. I said that I would never co-wash and I have just begun doing it. I have to continue doing it to really see how I feel about it.
    Last relaxer: May or June 2007
    BC: May 10, 2013
    Type: 3b/3c
    Hair properties: curly, wavy & fine texture; medium thick to thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity

Current Loves:
    Shampoo: Shea Moisture Black African Soap Deep Cleansing, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention, Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Leave-In: Design Essentials HCO Leave-In Conditioner and Blow Drying Lotion
    I said that I would never co-wash and I have just begun doing it. I have to continue doing it to really see how I feel about it.

I love it now that I don't use products with 'cones in them! My hair and scalp still feel super clean even without the suds and sulfates lol
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine was the product junkie thing as well. I was like that's just ridiculous. I don't know how you need that much stuff. Its funny cause I always tend to justify it now. "You just wouldn't understand haha." Now I open up my stash and admire how far I've come lol :D
    Its a bittersweet feeling though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • naturallyjaznaturallyjaz Posts: 63Registered Users
    lovebonita wrote: »
    I said that I would never co-wash and I have just begun doing it. I have to continue doing it to really see how I feel about it.

I love it now that I don't use products with 'cones in them! My hair and scalp still feel super clean even without the suds and sulfates lol

That's great lovebonita! I don't use products with sulfates or silicones either. I just have to find a way to shampoo or co-wash my hair without it getting tangled to much, so I'm working on that.
    Last relaxer: May or June 2007
    BC: May 10, 2013
    Type: 3b/3c
    Hair properties: curly, wavy & fine texture; medium thick to thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity

Current Loves:
    Shampoo: Shea Moisture Black African Soap Deep Cleansing, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention, Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Leave-In: Design Essentials HCO Leave-In Conditioner and Blow Drying Lotion
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    That's great lovebonita! I don't use products with sulfates or silicones either. I just have to find a way to shampoo or co-wash my hair without it getting tangled to much, so I'm working on that.

A few weeks ago I tried an overnight coconut oil pre-poo treatment on my hair and shampooed the next day. I felt like I barely had to detangle at all. It was awesome plus my hair was super soft!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice

A few weeks ago I tried an overnight coconut oil pre-poo treatment on my hair and shampooed the next day. I felt like I barely had to detangle at all. It was awesome plus my hair was super soft!

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App

I just did a 90 minute coconut oil pre-poo yesterday and I loved the results! Same as above; easy to detangle and super soft
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    1) CG- "I think its is more about technique than avoiding certain ingredients."
    -- I am going on two years of CG and my hair has never looked this great with as little product and effort--

2) Finger Detangling- " I have way too much hair, way too much shedding and way too tightly curled curls for that; I NEED a paddle brush."
    -- I swear by finger detangling now; it has made a marked difference in the condition of my hair.--

3) Henna- "I don't have time for that."
    -- I love the process of hennaing my hair; its like a personal spa day.--

4) DCing- "Totally unnecessary if you regularly use a leave-in and regularly hydrate your hair."
    -- I DC faithfully each week with a light protein to counteract all that moisture from the leave-in and the hydration lol.--
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
    1) CG- "I think its is more about technique than avoiding certain ingredients."
    -- I am going on two years of CG and my hair has never looked this great with as little product and effort--

2) Finger Detangling- " I have way too much hair, way too much shedding and way too tightly curled curls for that; I NEED a paddle brush."
    -- I swear by finger detangling now; it has made a marked difference in the condition of my hair.--

3) Henna- "I don't have time for that."
    -- I love the process of hennaing my hair; its like a personal spa day.--

4) DCing- "Totally unnecessary if you regularly use a leave-in and regularly hydrate your hair."
    -- I DC faithfully each week with a light protein to counteract all that moisture from the leave-in and the hydration lol.--

It IS like a spa day! I do it with my girl friend and we make a day of it.. Wine and movies!
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wine and movies... I like the sound of that! I have recently converted two of my girlfriends to Hennaheads, I am going to have to suggest this next month when it is henna day :)
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • SamanthascurlzSamanthascurlz Posts: 1,082Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Never using cones again. Now I am modified lol
    CG, High Porosity, Fine, Low Density, Medium Elasticity
    Suave, V05, GF Go clean gel, ACV rinses, CO, and Gelatine PT.
    [URL="[url=http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/samanthascurlz-albums-evolvement-my-hair.html]Curls[/url]"][/url]Curls
  • smeyliesmeylie Posts: 9Registered Users
    me!
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    I said I would never dye my hair, welp . . I'm not blond naturally, so we all know what happened. Lol.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A looooooong time ago, I was already using the "conditioner only" method (this was before Massey's first book advocating this approach).

Then I realized going to extremes isn't good in the long run. I repeatedly suffered symptoms of product build-up (and not just from "cones") and needed to use a sulfate shampoo. On specially occasions I love using a heavy cone product, which is fine as long as I follow it up with sulfate shampoo :)

I have to sulfate wash at least 2xs per month to keep my hair in optimal condition.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I told myself I would never be a product junkie...and that didn't turn out so well. Hahaha.

:tongue5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    A looooooong time ago, I was already using the "conditioner only" method (this was before Massey's first book advocating this approach).

Then I realized going to extremes isn't good in the long run. I repeatedly suffered symptoms of product build-up (and not just from "cones") and needed to use a sulfate shampoo. On specially occasions I love using a heavy cone product, which is fine as long as I follow it up with sulfate shampoo :)

I have to sulfate wash at least 2xs per month to keep my hair in optimal condition.

Same here. Threw away all my sulfates and silicones (to my boyfriend's dismay, he is less picky about products even though he has gorgeous thick curly hair) and found I need a sulfate wash several times a month.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file