Opinions please...

jenn75bjenn75b Posts: 23Registered Users
So, I have 3b hair. I have a very high forehead and have deep creases in my forehead. I've become more self-conscious of these, as I'm now 38 so they are much deeper, but have always been deep.

I'm sort of having a hair mid-life crisis. I feel like I would do better if I had bangs, but the only way to have full bangs would be if I straighten my hair regularly.

Currently I've been wearing half-bangs...straight-ish, and I try to blend the top with a straightening iron to make it a more gradual transition to the curly ends. I've even contemplated and tried really short, full bangs (very edgy, too edgy for me...my dad said flat out that he hated them.).

I've attached some pics so you can give me some opinions on which look is most flattering. One is of me with no bangs, one is with my current side bangs, one is when it was shorter and I straightened it (no bangs then).

Go ahead, be brutally honest. I can take it. Yes, my hair is darker in some than others...I'm wearing it somewhat dark these days.

Comments

• jenn75bjenn75b Posts: 23Registered Users
    Here's one more current pic, it's clearer than the middle pic above, but cut off a bit.
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    I really couldn't tell that you had lines with any of the pictures at all before I looked for them. Your curls without bangs are of course gorgeous- but being a curly girl myself, I might be a little biased. Have you tried maybe a deeper side part with your curls, and styling them to fall towards your face in the front? I don't know if that would work but it might be worth giving a shot rather than straightening so much.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I will be 100% honest. I think you look best in the first picture, with no bangs. There's no reason to be self conscious about anything. Nobody is going to look at you and be like, "Omg look at her huge forehead and those lines!" I really don't see anything unattractive about you. Wear your natural hair with confidence! :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    First pic hands down. I love love love your root curl. Your forehead is FINE.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the no-bangs look!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,607Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    First pic for sure. I love your hair curly and you are gorgeous. The lines on your forehead are miniscule and not worth worrying about (of course this is from someone who doesn't think wrinkles or sags or anything age related is worth worrying about).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Wow, I wasn't expecting that! Thanks all! I guess I am more concerned about the size of my forehead moreso than the lines, but there's always botox, right? lol. I am getting tired of the bangs...of having to actually "style" my hair. I guess in some respects being a curly girl can allow for some laziness. I remember back when I was straigthening it (for a little under a year I did that)...I have no idea how I did it for that long...but it was shorter then.

I guess I'm just going to throw my insecurities out the window and opt for pure laziness. Not sure how I will do these bangs curly until they grow out more. Maybe just stretch them out with clips while it's drying so they're not as kinky...my hair is kinky when it's short.

Thanks for your honesty, folks!
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Agreed. 1st pic hands down. I feel like the bangs draw attention to your forehead (there's nothin wrong with your forehead)! Your hair and yourself are beautiful!
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
    Also... If you prefer the bangs Id suggest a deeper side bang
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • ashkins09ashkins09 Posts: 75Registered Users
    Coming from having a big forehead myself I understand that part. I usually do side bangs. Recently I cut my bangs too short and they don't wanna curl like they used to when I did have them short. You look good for your age :) and I can barely see any of those lines on your forehead. I like the long bangs on you.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
    greencup13 wrote: »
    Also... If you prefer the bangs Id suggest a deeper side bang

Thanks for the feedback...you know how to make a girl blush! Could you please expand on what you mean about "deeper"?
    ashkins09 wrote: »
    Coming from having a big forehead myself I understand that part. I usually do side bangs. Recently I cut my bangs too short and they don't wanna curl like they used to when I did have them short. You look good for your age :) and I can barely see any of those lines on your forehead. I like the long bangs on you.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App

Thanks for the input, and the compliment! I told my boyfriend that I might lose the bangs and he actually said he likes the bangs better. I'm currently exploring all bang options. :) I don't know if I could wear them curly.

I know what you mean about if you cut them too short they just don't go the same, the curl pattern is different and suddenly they are uncooperative until they grow more.
    Ok, I realized the pics I posted of me with side bangs are from the summer. My bangs are longer now...I didn't like them that short. I took a pic just now...my hair is on day three so it's pulled up. But here is an idea of with and without the side bangs. I took a pic with the bangs back so you get an idea of w/out bangs when my hair is up/back.
    Sorry, double post...see post above for explanation of these pics.
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i also like the first pic best. you have beautiful curls.

i do agree with lori.m -- maybe just a tiny bit onto the side, like an 'off-center' part?
    i think i'd stick with the first look, try an off-center part (you know it's not a middle part and not so much to the side??) -- no cutting, just flipping hair over, if you don't like it, flip it back!

btw, you are toooooo young to be having a "mid-life" hair crisis!! LOL!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    duh! i just took a closer look at the first pic, and that is exactly what you have, an off-center part.
    i really like that photo, think your hair looks great. you are lucky to have 3b curls, in my mind, the perfect curl. love that it curls from the root, not like 3a curls.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I actually like the side-swept bangs on you... but I think they should be longer. Like long side-swept bangs... I think what you currently have in the pics are short side-swept bangs? I don't know if the long bangs would work curly but I guess you could try.

Anyway I think the bang look looks good on you but not because I think there's anything "wrong" with your forehead. I think you can wear it both ways but the bangs have the potential of looking more "chic" or whatever, if you care about that sort of thing.

I was also going to say that I actually like the straight hair... but I think it's because you didn't part it in the middle in that picture. So I also vote off-center part whether you decide to bang or no bang.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Gina-Gershon-Curled-Out-Long-Bob-With-Bangs.jpg

Layering-for-Top-Fullness-effect.jpg

sandra-bullock-hair-2011-5.jpg

long-bangs2.jpg

hairstyle-pictures-megan-fox-hairstyles.jpg

Latest-Kate-Middleton-Hairstyles-Ideas-For-2013.jpg

These are all variations on the longer side-swept bang... I think they might look lovely on you!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE the first pic of your curls. I would suggest getting a longer layer on the side and trying a deeper side part. I don't have bangs, but I part my hair and the one side is layered differently to give the illusion of bangs. That side of my hair tends to sit on my face more than the other side, breaking up my round face. I don't know if that explanation helped at all, but I would talk to your stylist and see what she can do with your curls to help frame your face more. Your curls are gorgeous!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Hi all, thanks for the further responses and compliments on my curls! I decided to try it today with curly side bangs. They are definitely too short, they will look better when they are longer and maybe a little more layered toward the side, without as much contrast between bang and side...I guess that's what a longer side bang is. Here's what it looks like today, and I think it's better than the whole straightening thing I was doing.

I did use the thinnest curling iron I have to work with the bangs a little, as the curl pattern is not cooperative and a little too kinky on its own to lay right.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jenn75b wrote: »
    Hi all, thanks for the further responses and compliments on my curls! I decided to try it today with curly side bangs. They are definitely too short, they will look better when they are longer and maybe a little more layered toward the side, without as much contrast between bang and side...I guess that's what a longer side bang is. Here's what it looks like today, and I think it's better than the whole straightening thing I was doing.

I did use the thinnest curling iron I have to work with the bangs a little, as the curl pattern is not cooperative and a little too kinky on its own to lay right.

Love it! I think it'll look even more amazing when they're a little longer. =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

Love it! But the most important part is how do you feel about it? I know we all said we like your first pic better but I know what its like when you dont like a certain part about yourself. Sometimes no comments can change how you feel. You look beautiful with or without bangs but just make sure you feel the same way! :)
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Medium coarse texture

Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Pretty!!!!
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Thanks all!

Yes, I can live with this look and I am much happier than I was with doing the more straight bangs...I never felt quite right about them. I have always had an insecurity with my high forehead. The deep creases have compounded that but for the most part my attitude is that wrinkles will happen...you can't fight it too much. The side bangs break up part of my forehead, so I do prefer some sort of bangs. Now they are not kinky but they are not straight, so they blend better with the rest of my hair and I couldn't ask for more!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm the wrong side of 40 and just grew out my bangs, wear them curly in a mini pouf or falling into my face depending how my hair naturally parts itself. I don't really like straightened bangs with curly hair, it looks fake (say I with pink-red hair!).

Don't underestimate skincare for plumping lines, I had mine invisible for a while when I was focused. EVERYTHING in my routine was about hydration, working with and strengthening/ boosting the barrier function (holds water in) with proven ingredients that doubled up as anti ageing/ collagen boosting.

No harsh or dehydrating cleansers/ exfoliators, no moisturiser can counteract that as we know from curly haircare. No pricey snake oil ingredients.

I was using a basic lotion cleanser with water and a muslin cloth, lactic acid to exfoliate weekly, SkinEssentialActive's KinNiaNag serum for day, a moisturiser with medical grade lanolin for night sometimes mixed with aloe vera inner leaf gel.

Obviously you should use plenty of a good micronised zinc oxide sunscreen, not smoke and feed skin from the inside with foods like oily fish and antioxidant rich produce.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blessings...

I have lines in my forehead as well, [from squinting], and I used to wear bangs to camouflage them as well.

Then I always noticed that when I wore my hair off my face, for some reason I relaxed my forehead and the lines didn't seem so deep.

See if that happens with you...
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Leave a Comment