New growth/breakage culprit for my fluffy frizzy hair?

HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
I have been learning so much since finding this forum. Such a wealth of information. I am still struggling to have a "good" hair day though. No matter what I have tried or how great my hair looks wet or still crunchy, after I sotc I end up with very fluffy, frizzy hair. At the crown as well as through the length of my waves. I have not had my hair officially analyzed, but I believe it is: med w/ some course (finding more grey everyday) texture, normal porosity and elasticity and med-thick density. When I first started I was using the Devacare products (no poo, one c) The no poo was irritating my scalp and seemed to dry my hair out. I am currently using Yes to Blueberry low poo and cond. KCKT as my LI. Experimenting with SM CES under HESMU gel. I like the supersoaker method, plop for 15 min, add gel after plop, then air dry or diffuse. It looks nice right after sotc, but then gets continuously frizzy as the time passes. I have a LOT of baby hair/new growth and probably some breakage as well. I believe it is these hairs that are causing me so much grief. They seem resistant to any and all products and techniques and since they are so much shorter and lighter they seem to "curl" up and stick out. Will these hairs eventualy grow out or am I just destined to always have frizzy flyaways? Sorry for the novel and thank you in advance to any who read it all the way through! Oh almost forgot I live in FL and it is fairly humid as far as the weather goes. I have attached some pics for reference.
Fine/Med texture, normal porosity and elasticity (I think)
2a(maybe 2b on a good day?)
Current routine:
Shampoo: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
Conditioner: Tresemme Smooth & Silky
Leave-In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
Mousse: Herbal Essence Totally Twisted

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Quite frankly, your hair hair looks pretty normal. It's not as bad as you think it is. I have these too, I think pretty much everyone does. My hairstylist told me that shorter hairs (from breakage, or from previous thinning shears) will cause frizz. After you SOTC add a little bit of product over the canopy, if you don't already. That should help some. Your humid climate I'm sure doesn't help either. I think this is something you will just have to deal with and apply some product closer to the roots as it happens. Get a product that's good on dry hair, like CG Smoothing Lotion or SM Reconstructive Elixir oil. You don't have to get these specifically, these are just suggestions of products that have worked well on dry hair for me.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Kinky Curly Knot Today is not a true conditioner it's more of a detangler. For enduring clumping you may need more of the major emollients - the fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants.

Also watch for using too many humectants in your climate - glycerin, honey, propylene glycol and aloe vera are common ones.

Also try adding your stylers before the plop, you may be messing with your hair once it is overly dry. It can be easier to get even distribution to all areas including roots and crown on wetter hair.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • HeathernatorHeathernator Posts: 45Registered Users
    You are so right Sixelamy, Thank you! :) My youngest son has not been sleeping well, so I have not gotten a good nights sleep in over 3 days. Think I am just tired and frustrated with everything in general lately. I guess I just assumed that I must be doing something wrong. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Current routine:
    Thank you Firefox 7275! I had been avoiding putting products all the way to my roots. Was worried it would weigh them down. I will give it a try! :)
    Current routine:
    No problem.. hoping you can figure it out! I get frustrated with mine too a lot. Your products look good, I use/used a lot of the same ones :)

The only other thought I would have would be the polyquat in the gel. I had a bit of a time with frizz from polyquats. If yours is the same formulation as mine, its polyquat-4, which shouldn't cause too much of a problem, but can for some.
  • chloe92uschloe92us Posts: 1,203Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would suggest using the KCKT all the way to your roots, the SM CES only on the mid shaft to ends as a sealer, and gel (be sure to use enough!) everywhere, but lightly near your roots. That should help with the flyaways.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
    Thanks Chloe92us! :) So many great suggestions! Going to wait it out a couple days and will update after my next wash. Thank you! :)
    Current routine:
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    Plopping causes my hair to frizz. I don't dry my hair with any kind of cloth at all. I squeeze excess water out of my hair with my hands, apply product, and then diffuse or air dry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
    Okay, so I washed and restyled my hair today and I am loving it so far!! I low poo'ed with YTB, used Devcurl One C as my RO. Applied KCNT as my LI all the way through roots and crown. Then used SM CES through the length (used more than I did last time). Plopped for about 45 min (got distracted and lost track of time) Applied generous amount of HESMU gel then diffused to almost dry (didn't take very long since I plopped so long) Then for the hard part let it finish drying completely and didn't touch. Just SOTC with a teeny bit of coconut oil. Big improvment from the other day! Thank you for all the tips! :)
    Current routine:
    Your hair looks nice and shiny!! Very pretty! :)
    Thank you Sixelamy!! :) I was very happy with the results! Think I am finally figuring out a good routine for my hair.
    Current routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file