Need Suggestions for Curl "Encourager"

HisreputationHisreputation Posts: 39Registered Users
I've been doing CG pretty religiously for about 6-8 weeks. Before that, I was semi-religious for about the same amount of time.
I've pretty pleased with the results I've gotten in my notoriously curly places (whispies around my temples/neck): with styling, I've gotten some 2C/3A! Unfortunately, the bulk of my hair still laughs at the thought of curling up to match-- at least somewhat-- the ringlets.
You can see what I'm already using below, but I'm wondering about adding some sort of curl enhancer/definer/booster. Basically, I'd like to find a product that encourages the reluctant waves in the body of my hair. Any suggestions?

I'm also wondering about using a spray-type gel. Anybody use those? What's your opinion? I ask because I have a hard time evenly distributing my gel without disrupting the wave pattern.

Finally, I've had my eye on the John Frieda Dream Curls spray. I know it's not CG, but I may give it a try anyway. Maybe I'll be one of the few that do better with cones. Does anyone know if the cones in it can be removed with a low-poo shampoo? I'm currently using Giovanni TTTT (which, consequently, I really like!).

Thanks!

P.S. I know styling has a lot to do with results. See my other post (Damp Hair?) for a description of my routine.
Low-Poo: Giovanni TTTT
Rinse Out: Yes To Coconuts Conditioner

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    You can remove cones with coco betaine:
    What's the Scoop on Silicones?

AG Re:Coil is awesome for curl enhancement, but be careful of the polyquats if they are a problem for you. I have to use sulfates to get them out, but I love this product still.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    I think a spray gel would be really effective for you, because you can get an even distribution without adding too much to weigh down your waves. I know devacurl has a spray gel that my aunt loves, but you can also just thin out your gel with water and put it in a spray bottle. Mousses are also great for volume and bounce without the weight of a gel. As for an actual encourager, you might want to add some protein for a boost. Devacurl B'leave-in worked really well for me. I've also heard a lot of great things about AG re:coil in the curl encouragement department.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    G TTTT will remove cones, so you're safe there.

I have an uneven pattern as well.. it's annoying, the parts above my ears are stubbornly 2a/b and will not match the rest of my hair. To a certain extent, it is what it is.

Mag sulfate and products with mag sulfate will be curl enhancing, but mag sulfate can also be drying. AG Re:coil was already mentioned. You can also add mag sulfate (epsom salt) to FSG.

For fine hair, protein can be curl enhancing.

For me, using a gel and diffusing is what gets me the curliest results.

You can also try plopping, see if that helps.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • HisreputationHisreputation Posts: 39Registered Users
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I need to check out this AG Re:coil.

I'm with you wavydaze: gel and diffusing gets me the curilest results.

JesiiLeighh, do you find that the hold "factor" of your gel is diminished when you dilute it? Because the majority of my waves are weak, I have to use a really hard hold for them to stay for any amount of time.
  • JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I need to check out this AG Re:coil.

I'm with you wavydaze: gel and diffusing gets me the curilest results.

JesiiLeighh, do you find that the hold "factor" of your gel is diminished when you dilute it? Because the majority of my waves are weak, I have to use a really hard hold for them to stay for any amount of time.

No, not really, because all spray gel really is is thinned out gel. Try Biosilk Rock Hard Gellee, apparently that's the hardest hold ever. I'm sure if you dilute that you'll be fine no matter what. You can use a spray gel and then scrunch some regular gel into your ends for a last touch.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    I second the AG:Recoil or adding mag sulfate to FSG. My hair LOVES mag sulfate and has much better waves when I use it. I don't seem to have problems with it drying out my hair.

I also like to use Spiral Solutions Daily Protein Leave In Spray. I don't like to do PT's, so I use this spray instead. I spray it on my wet hair before applying leave in conditioner and other products. A little bit works fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use
  • HisreputationHisreputation Posts: 39Registered Users
    Sounds like lots of folks love the AG Re:coil. Like so many things though, you either love it or hate it (in this case, because the mag sulfate dries out your hair). I guess that would be my one concern in purchasing it. I have some epsom salts in the house already. I wonder if I could mix some into the diluted gel, and test it that way?
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Posts: 1,239Registered Users
    I've been using the John Freida Dream Spray for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. I feel like it enhances my fine waves without making them too crunchy. It also seems to work for putting back some life into my second and third day hair. :afro:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file