Scared of the Big Chop!

CurlyHairedNewBCurlyHairedNewB Registered Users Posts: 1
This is my first month in transitioning. I have been relaxing my hair every 6-9 months since I was 10 ( I am 16 now). I have decided to grow my relaxor out and go all natural. My hair is down to my bra clasp when it is straight. I am nervous about the big chop because it took me a year to grow my hair from my jaw bone to the bra clasp.
I also need some suggestions on good products that will bring moisture to my curls:)

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Unfortunately while we can tell you loads of products until you know your natural hair properties they are of no help to you.

I would suggest you:
    1. Do your big chop and use the products you use now.
    2. Look at main site and work out your density, strand width, porosity and curl type.
    3. Try the LOC method with your products.
    4. If your products aren't working have a look at product reviews or come back with specific problems.

Getting your products right is trial and error. There are no miracle products simply because peoples' hair changes all the time due to weather, hormones, lifestyle, etc.
  • coracora Registered Users Posts: 456
    Also realize that you don't have to big chop to go natural. Plenty of women just cut off the equivalent of their new growth every few months. Eventually you'll have a full head of natural hair.
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    This is my first month in transitioning. I have been relaxing my hair every 6-9 months since I was 10 ( I am 16 now). I have decided to grow my relaxor out and go all natural. My hair is down to my bra clasp when it is straight. I am nervous about the big chop because it took me a year to grow my hair from my jaw bone to the bra clasp.
    I also need some suggestions on good products that will bring moisture to my curls:)

If scared of the big chop- I would hold off. Still like blueblood said- go to the main site. When comparing my relaxed hair to the descriptions I was able to figure out signs and symptoms that I had while relaxed and why things didn't work for me even back then for porosity and strand width. Curl type isn't as important as the other items in your care, but can give you a starting point for products after you figure out the other items.

I transitioned for a 10 months and just trimmed my hair every 6-8 weeks before cutting my last few ends out when I got frustrated with trying to blend my relaxed ends into finger coils, lols. I'll be one year fully natural on Christmas Eve. It looks like you have a wash and go in your picture- this is actually the way I wore my hair during my transition and now too. My curls personally got less wavy and more curly as my pattern developed. (I'm trying to break the habit, but I really really just love my curls and get disappointed when I've tried styles like bantu knots, and flat twists b/c they don't have as much curl as my wash and go.) I wish I had known earlier in my transition phase about using moisture mists (bought or homemade) b/c my hair would get dried out pretty fast.

With products you'll have to just experiment (just like blueblood suggested) on these because everyone's hair is different, and I would say it also wouldn't hurt to consider different styling methods that curlies use. Check out Welcome, search the forums for the curly girl method/google it, and try LOC/LCO with your products. LOC/LCO stands for Liquid, Oil or Cream: Liquid can be water or leave-in conditioner/conditioner, Oil an oil of your choice, and cream is a styler product.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file