Winter Hair Blues

jenn75bjenn75b Posts: 23Registered Users
This is more of a vent...

I have 3B. I'm in the North East so it's COLD outside! I don't want to let my hair air dry so I do diffuse it. I hate washing and doing my hair in the mornings before work due to needing a lot of drying time, but then that leaves me washing my hair at like 7 pm the night before so that I don't go to sleep on damp hair (which wreaks havoc on my hair). This is the time of the year when I wish I could just blow dry it completely dry and be on my way (straight hair envy)! I start to dream of straightening it, but then I know that even takes time, but at least when I wash it I can fully dry it.

Can anyone else relate???? I feel like I have to plan way too much around my hair, and I then let it go for days without washing and it looks like crap.

Comments

• lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I feel your pain! My girlfriends and I are doing a protective styling challenge this month.

Normally my wash days are Sundays which means Monday mornings my hair is pretty damp from sleeping with it wet. For me, wet hair means no volume and I hate puny buns.. I need to find a winter wash day routine that'll give me dry hair by Monday morning lol
  • okyouwinokyouwin Posts: 157Registered Users
    That's me! I live in the NE too and my hair has seriously changed since the summer. I am having a problem getting 2nd day hair now so I'm dealing with wet hair every morning. Instead of applying product to soaking hair in the shower I've been drying with a microfiber towel and then scrunching in my gel. Then I diffuse till mostly dry. My hair seems to dry much quicker this way.
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,507Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I certainly relate. I don't ever wash my hair at night because I hate sleeping on wet or damp hair. I don't really get 2nd day hair so I usually wet my hair nearly every morning. I do get tired of it sometimes and in the winter I have lots of 'hat hair' so I often just wear my hair up in a pony and don't bother trying to make it look nice.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can relate! It's cold here in the UK (isn't it always?). On the weekends it isn't bad because I wash my hair in the morning and it dries by early afternoon, which it usually when I go out. But during the week I have to wash my hair when I get home from work, which is about 5:30 - 6pm.

What I do is wash my hair as normal, then scrunch my ends with a microfibre towel to speed up the drying process. Then apply my gel etc. I go to bed about 10PM and by then it's normally 70-80% dry and has a gel cast formed.

I leave the gel cast in and carefully pineapple my hair (so I'm not sleeping directly on it) and then put it in a satin sleep cap. This helps protect the curls and ensures they dry properly (as does the gel cast) instead of in a weird way. In the morning I shake out my hair, which is now dry and scrunch out the gel cast and BAM ... good hair :)

Not as great as it is when I leave it to fully air-dry mind, but still pretty darn good.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • jenn75bjenn75b Posts: 23Registered Users
    Ahh, so glad I have some folks to relate to, but so sorry you are in the same position as me!

I actually had just reverted to putting gel on after I dried it a little, but the curl is just not as good as when I put it on fully wet, but then that does definitely extend the drying time. Maybe I'll have to go back to that way for the winter. Ponytails are my friend!

I thought about going shorter for the winter thinking it would help with the drying time, but 1) I know that I think I want it shorter but it will be too kinky for my liking, it always is when I go shorter, and 2) MUST have ponytail as an option!

p.s. hey jeepcurlygurl, I'm in Western PA (Pittsburgh), too!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,507Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ Hey neighbor! I'm 90 miles north but my sis lived in the Burgh for 25 years so I've spent alot of time there. : )

I also think about chopping off my hair every single winter. And when I do I always regret it, so I just try to live through the winter hair doldrums.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Oh, well I went to Edinboro for my undergrad so I'm quite familiar with the north as well!

Yeah, I know I'd regret the shorter hair, and more importantly I know my boyfriend prefers my hair long. Only reason I would want to go short is that I would possibly straighten it. But I'm pretty much too lazy for that. :)
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I certainly relate. I don't ever wash my hair at night because I hate sleeping on wet or damp hair. I don't really get 2nd day hair so I usually wet my hair nearly every morning. I do get tired of it sometimes and in the winter I have lots of 'hat hair' so I often just wear my hair up in a pony and don't bother trying to make it look nice.

Same here! I wet my hair every morning in the shower and then style and go. Luckily, I can semi-dry it in the car with the vents on low-medium. But, that means I have to switch back and forth between defrost and having it on me. Lol. Curly hair problems, I tell ya!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jenn75b wrote: »
    Oh, well I went to Edinboro for my undergrad so I'm quite familiar with the north as well!

Yeah, I know I'd regret the shorter hair, and more importantly I know my boyfriend prefers my hair long. Only reason I would want to go short is that I would possibly straighten it. But I'm pretty much too lazy for that. :)

I keep thinking about going short too! My hair is only medium length now but I can't help but think about how much easier it would be shorter. Lol. But, I'm so afraid it is going to just be a big puff!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

jenn75b wrote: »

My stepdaughter is at Edinboro and so is my trainer at the gym. And probably a million other people I know. haha. A very popular university around here.

And oh yes the troubles of the curly haired! haha.
    I also wet my hair for second day hair, but not in the shower. I use a spray bottle of water, so it doesn't drench my hair, but sort of "resets" it and reactivates the product. So that I don't really worry about having to dry.
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

sheilacurl wrote: »

Well, I think I'm sold! I had researched these types of things before but didn't really see a lot of reviews so I wouldn't risk it. But this one is affordable enough and that thread you linked us to has some great things to say about it. Do you use it, sheilacurl?
  • KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    I live in the NE as well, and I have to wet my hair daily...in the morning. After some research I gladly found out that I can walk out with wet hair without getting sick, and that it was an old myth that you would get sick. But I still hate having to wet my hair daily. If I didnt I would even leave my house. I'm looking foward to the day that my hair is long enough to pinapple, or I either really order some extensions.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    I personally haven't gotten one yet, only because I have been getting along well with my diffusers. I use a bowl diffuser on my length for about 10 minutes then I go around my scalp (underneath my hair) with my devafuser for about 10-15 minutes or until I am satisfied that I don't have any damp hair touching my scalp. I don't rinse, style or do anything upside down so this works for me.

I may get one of those doohickies if I see one on sale or something because I am curious, lol :D

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

• risosrisos Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I relocated to the NE from the south. I def miss the encouragement and support the climate down south gave my curls. Living in the NE in the winter makes me contemplate straightening my hair everyday. Attending work with hat hair or bad second day hair don't do anything for my confidence level. My others option is soaking wet hair. So far I haven't found anything I'm proud of unfortunately.
    [FONT=&quot]Medium Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Long, 3b, Brunette, Highlights.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    Shampoo-[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Head and Shoulders[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Daily Conditioner & Leave In-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Conditioner[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Creme-Ouidad Curl Quencher Hydrafusion Curl Cream
    Deep Treatment-Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Highlights-Foils from the Salon[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users

I have this but haven't used it in awhile. I got annoyed with having to stay in one place while it was on my head. I would wash at night and watch TV (with the volume loud and CC on the screen) with it on. Sometimes I would get wonky spots, so that's why I quit using it. The few times I used it in the morning rush, I set the dryer in the second sink while I brushed my teeth, put makeup on, etc. inevitably, I would end up pulling the hose off the dryer.

Now that the dew points are in single digits, I've noticed my hair has not been as "nice." I keep reminding myself that day two hair, even in these low dews and being 2a/2b and much flatter instead of 2b/2c, is STILL way better looking than it was pre-CG.

Hey all, checking back in, as I used my soft bonnet for the first time yesterday and I love it! I just read my book while I sat there in a chair with the dryer sitting on my dresser. Much better than having to hold the diffuser on various sections of my hiar. I came into work today and got lots of compliments on how my curls looked better than usual. Yes, it takes time, but so does standing there using the diffuser if you do dry your hair. I'd much rather sit there and read or something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file