hair dye recommendations for CG

twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
Hey guys,

I've never died my hair before and am planning to go for it in a couple weeks (unfortunately I inherited my moms premature greying genes :/). I hennaed my hair over the summer and really enjoyed the results, but found that it didn't cover my greys very well, and the process of hennaing hair is very long. My hair is super healthy right now, which is why I've been holding out in dying it because I want to keep it healthy. Buut as i mentioned, the greys are getting too much and i want to see them no longer. Being CG (and also wanting to keep my hair healthy), are there any hair dyes you can recommend? I really appreciate any recommendations as I'm new to this! I don't want to go into the store and randomly pick a brand.

Comments

• ashlyndmarieashlyndmarie Registered Users Posts: 211
    Shea moisture has a dye kit. They are an organic company so i assume their hair dye is safe. I've never tried it personally cuz Its sold in select targets not in my area. But I love their other products.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I hear henna is a good hair dye.
  • ashkins09ashkins09 Registered Users Posts: 75
    I also heard of shea moisture being good. Its pricey but I think its worth it. There's vegan semi and demi permanent dye that doesn't need any developer. This one I got at hottopic didn't damage my hair or nothing. It lasted longer than the permanent for me. It smells like bubble gum. It only comes in the funky colors. Since semi and demi only stain the top of the hair and won't lift the cuticle.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    When you do a henna dye, you really need a henna with a high lawsone count. I assume the one you used had a rather low one, since it didn't cover the grays. What henna did you use?
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • twistedgirltwistedgirl Registered Users Posts: 87 Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy: I used henna that I got from Lush

I looked up the shea moisture dye and it looks good! will have to check in my local target to see if they carry it. if not, any suggestions on regular brands I can buy? I would assume that those are obviously more harmful, but there's probably some that are better than others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file