Denman brushes

PyjamaLlamaPyjamaLlama Posts: 72Registered Users
I've heard lots of really good things about these brushes, and I was wondering if anyone has tried them??
If you have tried them, are they good??
If you tried one, which one??
I have REALLY knotted hair that easily mats, and I need a brush that can really help with the tangles. My hair is 2a/2b, APL and I'm not sure on the porosity (it takes about 5 hours to fully dry from wet) by the way. Do you think it would help!?
Thank you :)

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Can't say I've ever used them, buuut I know a lot of people have had luck with the tangle teezer
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    I have a basic Denman brush in my shower; haven't used it in awhile since I felt like it broke up my curl pattern too much. Detangled well, but I don't have much issues with tangling and can use my fingers or wide tooth comb to detangle. Will have to try it again
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've heard lots of really good things about these brushes, and I was wondering if anyone has tried them??
    If you have tried them, are they good??
    If you tried one, which one??
    I have REALLY knotted hair that easily mats, and I need a brush that can really help with the tangles. My hair is 2a/2b, APL and I'm not sure on the porosity (it takes about 5 hours to fully dry from wet) by the way. Do you think it would help!?
    Thank you :)

I have a knock off Denman brush that only cost me $1.49 and works just as well as the name brand. It works better for clumping my curls together. Plus u can remove some of the teeth if u feel like it's pulling your hair out. As with any styling tool, u have to use extreme care. Start by combing/detangling the ends slowly then work your way up to the roots.
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    I use a denman to apply my leave in for curl definition. At this point I've already detangled my hair though. Occasionally I'll use it on dry hair after gently separating the curls with my fingers, I only do this when I need tangle free hair for an updo. The brush is very gentle, and really helps me with curl definition. If you're only needing the detangling, I can't really speak to how it behaves in very tangled hair.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the denman brush for detangling & curl definition. But after my cut, I figured out I that with a good detangling conditioner I can use my fingers. I know of a detangling spray that I like. Kyle taught me a lot.
  • AKgirlAKgirl Posts: 341Registered Users
    I love my tangle teezer for detangling in the shower.
    2a-2bFii NP?

Low poo: Deva Low-Poo, Jessicurl GLS, Moroccanoil Volumizing Shampoo, Aveda Be Curly
    Condish: Cure Care, Redken Body Full, Deva One C, and Jessicurl Aloeba
    LI: Aveda Be Curly Style Prep <3
    Products: Deva FFVF & Jessicurl Spiralicious (LOVE), TRESemme Curl Boosting Mousse
    Hairspray: Aussie Sprunch, TRESemme Curl
    locking Spray
    Experimenting with lots of products in my cabinet...

My hair loves protein, plopping, and diffusing! Trying to find a way to style and air dry.
  • PyjamaLlamaPyjamaLlama Posts: 72Registered Users
    Thank you for all your replies :)
    I have a tangle teezer, but it just doesn't really detangle enough for me, it never quite gets to the tangles on my underlayer. Do you think that this would mean that the denman wouldn't work for me?
    Detangling in the shower with my fingers doesn't give me as nice waves as if I brush (I don't know why, I have tried lots of times but my waves are always limp afterwards)
    I've seen that there are lots of different types of denman brush, are there any specifically that you guys think would suit my hair?? And maybe help curl definition??
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    The one I have is the d7. Have you ever tried clipping the top layer out of the way while you comb the tangled hair underneath?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    And after using my Denman brush in the shower, I remember why I quit using it: it gives me really, really stringy hair along the lines of angel hair pasta. I'm going to give it to my straight haired BF to use
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for all your replies :)
    I have a tangle teezer, but it just doesn't really detangle enough for me, it never quite gets to the tangles on my underlayer. Do you think that this would mean that the denman wouldn't work for me?
    Detangling in the shower with my fingers doesn't give me as nice waves as if I brush (I don't know why, I have tried lots of times but my waves are always limp afterwards)
    I've seen that there are lots of different types of denman brush, are there any specifically that you guys think would suit my hair?? And maybe help curl definition??

Most use either D3 or D7
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file