noobie... terrified

Rocket_RedRocket_Red Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all.

I have 2c/3a curls. but my hair is also fine and porous.

I had no idea there were names for the frizzy mess that resides atop my head. After spending 23 years trying to learn my hair, and work with it rather than against it, we reached an agreement that I would chop it really short and flat iron it every day, and load it full of wax. I have LOVED this hair stage of my life the most. But, I am getting tired of the admin of "controlling" my hair.

I get build up on my scalp really easily, and have been told to stay away from leave in conditioners. I am looking to grow my hair out, but I don't know what to do. My scalp loves shampoo and deep cleanses, my hair on the other hand loves oils and waxes and soaks up moisture and loves to be sealed.

Is there a middle ground? Is it possible to keep a clean scalp, without killing my hair?

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You've come to the right place. Most important thing to do is read and learn. If you read the stickies at the top of each forum, it will help you understand what everyone is saying.

A lot of folks on this website follow some type of the Curly Girl method (essentially not using sulfates or silicones.) There's a lot of information on this website; however, this link has a lot of useful information Live Curly Live Free | the naturally curly hair experts The ebook on that site has most of the information in one place, so it's a great investment.

You need to become ingredient savvy. That way, you won't need strong detergent to clean your scalp/hair. A lot of people cowash (conditioner washing.) It's using a cheaper conditioner to "wash" your scalp--you use the pads of your fingers to clean you scalp. If your using water soluble products, they rinse out in the shower. If the ingredients aren't water soluble, when you need to, you can use lowpoo (shampoo without sulfate.)

Not sure why you were told to stay away from leave in. Most curly hair needs the moisture, especially if you live somewhere that has a cold dry winter (you'll learn about dewpoints in the process of leaning how to take care of your hair.)

My fine/low porosity hair likes the more natural products. I stay away from most chemicals, especially polyquats.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I would recommend getting a copy of Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here). Live Curly, Live Free is an excellent book, but it builds on the information in CGTH, and is much more technical. CGTH will give you the basics, including techniques with lots of nuances.

As for cleansing and conditioning, CG emphasizes cleansing your scalp, while giving your hair the nourishment and conditioning it needs. (A lot of that is technique, and the video segments on the DVD which comes with the book are extremely helpful.) With fine hair, you may well want to continue shampooing, but switch over to what's called a low-poo, a shampoo which doesn't contain one of the sulfate or anionic, harsh detergents; but instead relies on milder, less damaging detergents.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • Rocket_RedRocket_Red Registered Users Posts: 4
    thank you so much for the replies.

I will start reading everything that I can. As scary as it is, I am looking forward to happy healthy hair.

I was told to stay away from leave in conditioners, because I have craddlecap (psoriasis). I also get little pimple like sores on my scalp, these appear when I am stressed or my hair is stressed (if I straighten it too often or wash with hash shampoo).

I have found a place where I can get sulphite free shampoo, so getting some of that this weekend.
    I do something called a baptismal (or sprinkle) rinse, which is in CGTH. Basically, you rinse your hair so lightly that you're leaving a lot of your RO conditioner on your hair, in a dilute form; then you squeeze excess water and conditioner out of your hair in your bare fists. With this, I often don't feel any need for a leave in conditioner (which I would only be applying to the ends anyway). It leaves my hair really well conditioned, but (surprisingly) doesn't weigh down my superfine hair.

If that were leaving too much conditioner on your hair, one option would be to hold the mass of your hair up, away from your scalp with one hand, and rinse your scalp to the degree you need to clear conditioner away from it.

I really do recommend the book. It answers most questions about the method, and goes a long way to dispelling confusion. There are a lot of people who say, "Oh, I can't do CG because... " never realizing that their concerns are addressed in the book, they're still doing CG, and they didn't need to reinvent the wheel.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    after doing so much reading it is making more and more sense.

I am now looking for a cone and sulphate free shampoo.

thanks again for all the help everyone.
    Please speak up if you want help with that. (It would help to know something about where you are, and whether you prefer drug/grocery store brands or salon quality. I see you've already noted your hair properties.
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008
    Please speak up if you want help with that. (It would help to know something about where you are, and whether you prefer drug/grocery store brands or salon quality. I see you've already noted your hair properties.

I live in Durban, South Africa.

I have not really given salon products a thought, but I figure that if I am not going to buying conditioner, then getting a salon quality product will probably work out to what I have been spending up till not on shampoo and conditioner.

I came across this brand when doing on online search. Can I ask for an opinion? Enchantrix Products | Shop | Family Conditioner (500ml) There pet shampoo actually sounds quite nice, from looking at the ingredients. Enchantrix Products | Shop | Pet Shampoo (500ml)
    When I first tried to pull up those pages, I got an error message, but they're loading now. Those products look like they should work well!
    Peace,
    Morgan

CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file