We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Can anyone help me type my hair?

whitegirlcurl52whitegirlcurl52 Posts: 9Registered Users
I have quite interesting wavy hair. It's very limp, almost straight, in the front and as you work your way back gets increasingly curly. I have some pictures of the different views (on different days too) so you can see what I mean. Do I have multiple types? Is there a way to make the front curlier to blend it better with the rest of my hair? I've tried adding more product or scrunching more on the front but it never seems to help. Thanks for any comments or suggestions!
uploadfromtaptalk1385571904871.jpg
This is just a view of the back of my hair
uploadfromtaptalk1385572000310.jpg
This one is the side view of my hair
uploadfromtaptalk1385572108403.jpg
Here you can see the difference between the front part that I've pulled aside and the curls hidden behind
uploadfromtaptalk1385572249643.jpg
And this is somewhat of a better view of the front part of my hair that is more limp.
uploadfromtaptalk1385572328562.jpg
Here is another side comparison view from the summer. (Sorry for all the pictures!)

Any help would be very appreciated! I've been curlygirl for almost five months now and have yet to figure out why this keeps happening!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    Your hair seems mostly 2b, with some 2a in the front and some tighter waves in the back. Multiple curl types is very common. As for the front of your hair, you can try braiding or twisting it kinda loosely while it dries, so it dries with more texture. If you have to, spritz a mixture of water, sea salt, and gel only on the front pieces. Make sure you keep it well moisturized, and only do the front pieces, to try to blend it with the rest of your hair
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • whitegirlcurl52whitegirlcurl52 Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thank you! I'll try the braid suggestion next time I style my hair. :)

• JessiiLeighhJessiiLeighh Posts: 195Registered Users
    Thank you! I'll try the braid suggestion next time I style my hair. :)

You're welcome! Just make sure to braid your hair in a way that matches your curl pattern. Too tight and it won't match the rest of your hair.
    :wav:
    3a, fine/med strand thickness, high density, low porosity
    CG since April 2012
    BC October 2012
    Cleanser: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey or CJ Daily Fix
    RO Conditioner: Mop Top Daily Conditioner
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: Either Raw Curls Spray Gel, Raw Curls Medium Hold Gel, or MopTop Curly Custard, and always topped with Curlisto Control II Gel
    Sealer: Pure Argan Oil
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Also some long layers in front might help it bounce more. Are you doing any protein treatments and DTs? What's your routine?
  • PyjamaLlamaPyjamaLlama Posts: 72Registered Users
    I have the same problem but the other way wrong - the front of my hair goes into ringlets and the back hangs limply. I have found putting more product in the less wavy parts helps, and gently smoothing the more wavy parts. Also, since my hair has been shorter (APL instead of BSL) with a couple of long layers in the back, the back has been much wavier :) your hair is really pretty by the way!!!
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a problem I noticed recently, though I think mine is probably due to heat damage. I actually found twisting the front parts of the hair around my finger when wet and then scrunching works wonderfully to blend it into the rest of my hair.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Thanks for all the advice! Chupie, my routine is usually detangle with conditioner, lowpoo, condition, then I flip my head over and use some regular conditioner as a leave in and re-detangle a bit. Then i use cold water to scrunch a bit and close the hair follicles and then use some type of styling product. Right now it's gel. Then i plop. My conditioner is tresseme naturals, my shampoo is yes to cucumbers and my current gel (just bought it, only used it twice so far but I'm liking it) is LA looks. I know I should DO more often than I do, I only do a evco DO about once a month. But that basically sums it up. My hair is about medium texure and I'm not really sure about my porosity. I thought it was high but I don't know now! :P

Thanks for all the advice! Chupie, my routine is usually detangle with conditioner, lowpoo, condition, then I flip my head over and use some regular conditioner as a leave in and re-detangle a bit. Then i use cold water to scrunch a bit and close the hair follicles and then use some type of styling product. Right now it's gel. Then i plop. My conditioner is tresseme naturals, my shampoo is yes to cucumbers and my current gel (just bought it, only used it twice so far but I'm liking it) is LA looks. I know I should DO more often than I do, I only do a evco DO about once a month. But that basically sums it up. My hair is about medium texure and I'm not really sure about my porosity. I thought it was high but I don't know now! :P

Do you mean EVOO? I was thinking you may need protein. There is IAGirl's gelatin protein treatment. Also, maybe think about coconut oil over EVOO. You might try plopping before gel, not after, or sometimes, plopping doesn't work well after a certain length. Try what I call mini-plopping where you just use a flour sack and coil up a section in the towel, hold and squeeze holding it for like a count of 10- 20 seconds and carefully letting down. And I seriously can't recommend Sweet Curls Elixir FSG enough for defining. You can also make your own, there are a million recipes. I'd sure try it. To me it looks almost like you are getting build up. I don't know from what. You could try a PINCH of citric acid in your conditioner once, to see if you can detox. I almost wonder if the EVOO is too heavy for your hair? Do you diffuse? Some of us wavies just get WAY more wave if we diffuse.
    By evco I meant extra virgin coconut oil. Sorry for the confusion! I never thought about plopping before gel but it's definitely something to consider. I've never tried a protein treatment so I'd be interested in trying that too. Would you apply that just how you would a deep treatment? And how often? Also? I did just think of something... When I turn my head over to re-detangle, my hair tends to lay a little weird. It also then affects how it lays after I let it down. However, if I don't turn my head over, I never get the same definition and it especially doesn't add any volume or wave to my roots. Any suggestions on what to do about that? I am trying to grow my hair out, so flipping it over is going to start getting heavy and a bit unmanageable. But if protein would help with definition I am 100% willing to try it!

By evco I meant extra virgin coconut oil. Sorry for the confusion! I never thought about plopping before gel but it's definitely something to consider. I've never tried a protein treatment so I'd be interested in trying that too. Would you apply that just how you would a deep treatment? And how often? Also? I did just think of something... When I turn my head over to re-detangle, my hair tends to lay a little weird. It also then affects how it lays after I let it down. However, if I don't turn my head over, I never get the same definition and it especially doesn't add any volume or wave to my roots. Any suggestions on what to do about that? I am trying to grow my hair out, so flipping it over is going to start getting heavy and a bit unmanageable. But if protein would help with definition I am 100% willing to try it!

Ope! Sorry. If you do the gelatin protein treatment, you'd follow it with a deep conditioner. How often depends on your hair. Another thing people do is just get some NPF from Sally's and put a bit in with their condtioner. I just used CJ Repair Me for the first time today and love it. Seems to do the best job at all in one of anything I have tried. (and they have a Black Friday sale tomorrow on the Curl Junkie site). If flipping over is causing an issue, some people I know finger comb their hair back from their forehead in the shower as the last part of detangling to get more volume. Also, clipping the roots up helps with volume in the crown. You can search around for a lot of great posts on that. I will say LA Looks is more of a hard hold gel. Generally you need a "clumper" under that. I love CJ Pattern Pusha, and I have discovered the Sweet Curls Elixir to be GREAT at defining and shine (I just posted a couple of pics on the thread under reader review of using only a leave in and the SCEFSG). Ummm. I have used Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly as the clumper, Jessicurl Confident Coils. Some people call this the "filler" and the gel a "sealer". Another great technique for clumping is the Supersoaker method. If you haven't watched that video, it's great. A lot of people start with that and modify as needed. Some people can get great definition with one gel, but most of us wavies seem to need a filler in there to help with definition and clumping. Also, like I said, pixie diffusing with a bowl diffuser helps tremendously. You should join the FB wavy group (see this thread http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/144110-wavies-have-you-seen.html) . You will see a ton of people with hair similar to yours. (I'm much more s'wavy and not nearly as wavy wavy as you).
    Wow I didn't expect to get this much help and advice! Thank you so much!! I'll definitely look into protein and deep treatments as well as a good clumping product. I did notice that the gel seemed more of a sealer that a clumper or definer. I'll be using all of this advice and will probably keep checking in to post some progress or any more questions. Thank you tons!!

So just as an update, I did a modified version of the super soaker method (I had been doing something similar to it before but it was difficult to control upside down.) I'm not sure if it was all the finger coming I did in the first place because I don't have a Denman brush, or what but my curls came out pretty stringy. I didn't do anything upside down this time and used a bit more gel than last time. I'm looking into getting the sweet curls flax seed gel as a filler. I'll attach some pictures to show you the comparison. I also only plopped for 5 minutes as opposed to my usual 1.5 hours or overnight. And I was out and about in the cold weather, but even in the shower my hair felt stringy and greasy no matter how much water or conditioner I added. It was a soft water shower tho, which my hair is not used to.

This is the non upside down dilemma I seem to have too often. My curls seem to end up stringy and a bit greasy. The pictures are from thanksgiving and then today for comparison. They are both first day styles.
    uploadfromtaptalk1385848488783.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385848503209.jpg

I know it's difficult to see a difference but today's hair is definitely greasy and stringy. It also has less wave or curl and also less volume. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    Brushing, finger combing, re-detangling or raking products through can all pull out weaker waves. You might mess with your hair less, just palming products on and scrunch'n'pump to encourage wave. If needs be do everything upside down, don't detangle one way up then detangle again the other way up.

That is a very long plop time too. If you think about it some parts of the hair are concertina'd into waves and other parts are flattened/ straightened against the head.

Hydrolysed protein definitely encourages wave so is worth trying. I would do a treatment after clarifying and/ or chelating, don't pile protein over possible build up.

What are the surfactants in your low-poo and how well are you rinsing out your detangling conditioner? Some shampoos will combine with some conditioners to create build up: especially anionic with cationic ingredients due to their opposing electrical charges.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    With soft water your hair (and body for that matter) will never feel rinsed. Are you visiting? I actually think the first pic looks great. Little hard to see that second one.
  • jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    The front of my hair is less wavy too. Sometimes wrapping the hair around a finger helps me, sometimes it doesn't. Looking at your hair, some layers in the front might lighten things up so it would wave more too. I know you're trying to grow it longer, but you're probably going to need layers in there somewhere. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file