Ugh! Greasy patches?

betsysbetsys Posts: 3Registered Users
Ok, I've been getting the occasional greasy patches in my hair for years now. Sometimes my hair would be just fine, and then I'd wash and dry it, and end up with a sudden greasy spot as big as the palm of my hand on just one part of my scalp. (Happens on what should be clean hair, not after it's been "dirty" for a while) I would have to wash my hair 2-3 times with a regular shampoo to get it clean. For the past 2-3 months, I've been trying to do modified Curly Girl, mostly to get rid of the greasy patches. I was pretty happy with how my mostly 2b curls looked otherwise, before I started the modified curly girl.

I've eliminated silicones, after finding out that my holy grail leave in/detangler was loaded with them, and I've been using Derm Organic Shampoo and Conditioner, which are silicone and sulfate free. My hair is now more 2a than 2b, but that might be partly due to the drop in humidity with the seasons changing. My hair doesn't have the body it used to, and i've really struggled to find a leave in with enough slip to get my tangles out. I've found that I still have to use a sulfate shampoo about once every two weeks, just because my hair just doesn't feel clean-and boy, how I love how soft and shiny and curly my hair is after using "real" shampoo! I've kept up with the mostly lo-poo routine, however, because the greasy patches finally went away! I've just been hoping I'd find a lo-poo or conditioner my hair liked better,

However, this week, the greasy patches have come back! It's just one, palm sized spot by my ear, but it's there, and my Derm Organic or Suave Naturals Clarifying won't wash it out, (sigh) The only thing I've changed is I starting using Miss Jessie's Leave-In Condish, because it helps tremendously with the tangles. However, I've read the label multiple times, and there aren't any silicones or polyquats that I'm seeing.

Any ideas what is causing this? It's driving me crazy!
betsys

2b, some 2a
fine
low to normal porosity

Derm Organics Shampoo and Conditioner
Miss Jessie's Leave in Condish OR a yes to Blueberries conditioner/water/evoo mixture to detangle
Healthy Sexy Hair Beach Spray OR Deva Curl Gel to style

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    I'm sure you've already thought of this, but could it be something as simple as those spots not being rinsed thoroughly enough? My hair is fairly thick, and I have to rinse up side down to make sure the shampoo and conditioner are completely gone.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • betsysbetsys Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks-my hair is fine, but I still rinse it for a long time, just to make sure I get everything out.
    We have hard water, but I use a filter on my shower head. I'm wondering if the filter isn't taking out enough of the "junk" in the water. Could that make my hair gummy/greasy in places at the roots?
    betsys

2b, some 2a
    fine
    low to normal porosity

Miss Jessie's Leave in Condish OR a yes to Blueberries conditioner/water/evoo mixture to detangle
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    If you over wash your scalp it will produce more oil as it will be too dry.

Have you ever had a doctor or derm look at the patch?
  • betsysbetsys Posts: 3Registered Users
    No, I haven't yet. The oily patch isn't always in the same area.
    betsys

2b, some 2a
    fine
    low to normal porosity

• jakrussel3jakrussel3 Posts: 423Registered Users
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to get those too and it drove me crazy. I've decided it was because I wasn't rinsing well enough. I say that because it'll still happen sometimes when I've been lazy about rinsing. I have to part my hair in sections and massage my scalp some more while rinsing. It happened a ton when I was still using sulfates, but it doesn't happen as much now since going sulfate free because I spend so much more time rubbing and massaging my scalp to get it clean and to rinse it clean. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hair Properties: 2A/2B, Medium-fine, Normal porosity, Normal elasticity, Medium density
    Low Poo: DevaCare, Yes to Cuc's
    Rinse Out: DevaCare One Condition, Yes to Cuc's
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Lavender, Yes to Carrots Scalp Conditioner
    Curl Cream: AG ReCoil, Organix Moroccan Oil Curl Cream
    Gel/Mousse: Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG w/ Mag Sulfate added, Sweet Curls Elixirs hard hold gel, DevaCurl Frizz Free Foam, Aquage Uplifting Foam
    Protein: Spiral Solutions Protein Spray for daily use

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file