Lush Henna?

CurlyGinger93CurlyGinger93 Registered Users Posts: 18
I've never used henna before and thought maybe the Lush henna would be good to try. It seems less complicated than everything that I've been reading! Just add water and go pretty much.

Has anyone used it? Or is there something better out there? I want auburn/red hair.

My hair right now is pretty much the color of a penny but a bit darker. In the sun it is like bright copper. I would say it's a medium brown. I want to change the tint from coppery brown to red, but still have it look pretty natural.

I've had my hair salon highlighted before and it NEVER holds color. 5 washes and 90% of the color is gone and yes it was permeant dye. :banghead:

I want something that is permeant and makes my head redder than it currently is.

If I use lush I was going to get the caca rouge.

Comments

• lovebonitalovebonita Registered Users Posts: 134
    Curlyginger if you're gonna go through the trouble of henna, just go for it! You can order some really good quality henna from mehandi.com or you can do what I did (kind of involved but I was desperate and impatient)

I did a ton of research about bad henna and didn't want to end up with a cheap compound henna and have my hair melt off. I dyed it last year and most of my hair still has the dye in it. You're supposed to use BAQ henna for your hair so I Googled Henna Artists where I live and contacted one to see if I could buy some henna from her. She was a little hesitant at first because she normally doesn't sell hers but she ended up selling it to me (yay!) so my first experience mixing my own was great!

It's not that hard to mix your own if you research first. I mixed 250g of henna with 50g of amla powder (to keep my curls from loosening) and ~2 cups of water and let it sit overnight. You don't have to babysit it or anything, just let it do it's own thing. Right before I applied, I added ~1 cup of Tresseme Naturals conditioner and ~1-2 tbs of EVOO until the texture was a little thicker than Greek yogurt.

That's it! Not difficult, cheaper than Lush, and the red color is amazing!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Oh my gosh, that is expensive! I just did my first one this past weekend, and it really wasn't hard at all to mix my own. It's a ton cheaper as well. I fully agree with the previous poster, everything she said!! You don't need all those added ingredients in a henna, and I hear lemon juice dries your hair out a lot.

Do some good research - it took me 2 full afternoons and a few questions on here to understand what the heck I was going to do. If you have chemical dye on your hair currently, it is imperative that you get Body Art Quality (BAQ) henna, or it will react very badly with your hair. Not sure what the Lush one is, it doesn't specify... which means it's probably not.

I got all of my ingredients at mehandi as well and just mixed it with water and let it sit for an afternoon while I was out before applying it.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • CurlyGinger93CurlyGinger93 Registered Users Posts: 18
    I checked out the mehandi website but it was so confusing, I couldn't tell what was what or how to order.
    I found a site called Henna Color Lab that has BAQ henna. I might order some from there. It has amla too, which I think I need because I'm barely a 2b wave.
    This site is a ton cheaper than lush as well.

Thanks for the replies!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    There's also Henna Caravan where I just got my indigo. My friend is a henna artist and gets her stuff there. Plus their shipping is cheaper than mehandi. There's also Henna Sooq that I've heard of.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    I strongly recommend the henna from HennaSooq.com. She knows her henna and it's excellent quality. Mehandi.com has good henna, too, but I was a little turned off by a customer service experience I had and really turned off by the shipping prices. The shipping may be better now, but I don't know because I haven't ordered from them in over a year.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • CurlyGinger93CurlyGinger93 Registered Users Posts: 18
    I ended up ordering from Henna Color Lab. The process was super easy and shipping was cheap. I ordered wine red color and original henna, I'm planning on mixing them together. Hopefully it's good stuff, it said it was pure and BAQ!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file