Shampoo every wash?

I've noticed that when I don't shampoo when I wash my hair, my hair always looks worse than when I do. I use Shea Moisture MR shampoo and conditioner. Should I use their cowash conditioner when I cowash or should I just shampoo Everytime I wash?

Comments

• sKorpio1190sKorpio1190 Posts: 1,862Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I shampoo every time i wash too. When I don't my hair gets weighed down. So far it has always worked for me and I don't use cg shampoos usually
    Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity :shock:
  • AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
    So it's not bad? Cuz everyone says to not shampoo a lot, but I only wash every other day. When I cowash it it flat and frizzy....I'll probably just try shampooing every time.
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    I shampoo every time as well. I use a sulfate free shampoo. It's only bad to shampoo a lot if you're using a damaging shampoo that has sulfates or other harsh detergents.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Shea butter can build up, it's not well suited to co-washing IMO.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    So it's not bad? Cuz everyone says to not shampoo a lot, but I only wash every other day. When I cowash it it flat and frizzy....I'll probably just try shampooing every time.

I think it depends on ur hair. I know everyone says sulfate shampoos are bad but my hair is healthy
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I shampoo every time I wash. My hair does not like cowashing. It's not "bad" if it works for your hair. Everyone is different, do what works. If you're going to cowash, I'd go with a lighter conditioner though.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I shampoo every time I wash. My hair does not like cowashing. It's not "bad" if it works for your hair. Everyone is different, do what works. If you're going to cowash, I'd go with a lighter conditioner though.

I tried it too. Made my hair heavy and feeling greasy within a few days. Plus I hate when products don't lather. I just can't wash my hair with cowash because it had no lather and it's impossible for me to distribute
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You have to do what works. Just use the gentlest shampoo you can get away with. :)

💮

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸
    http://Fotki.com/BlackAngelPlayah
    http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    http://YouTube.com/BlackAngelPlayah
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
    Does KC come clean work well for daily shampooing?
  • CurlyGrey3CurlyGrey3 Posts: 508Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like KC Come Clean, but I find it very strong. I use it as an occasional clarifier. I use Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection shampoo (the sulfate free one) almost every wash. My hair likes to be clean. I tend to get build up otherwise.
    Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
    Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
    Current favorites:
    Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
    Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
    Style: FSG, BRHG
    Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
    CurlyGrey3 wrote: »
    I like KC Come Clean, but I find it very strong. I use it as an occasional clarifier. I use Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection shampoo (the sulfate free one) almost every wash. My hair likes to be clean. I tend to get build up otherwise.

Hmmm. How weird. I think I read on their website that it was "gentle enough for daily use." Darn. I think I used one of the Yes to - something shampoos once but wasn't crazy about it. But maybe I'll look into it again since it's cheaper than KC
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I found out that my frizz came from using sulfate free shampoo. Cowashes are not designed to lather as the lather from shampoo is what strips the hair of oils in addition to the detergents and sulfates. I clarify occasionally but I don't use a sulfate free shampoo any more.
    I found out that my frizz came from using sulfate free shampoo. Cowashes are not designed to lather as the lather from shampoo is what strips the hair of oils in addition to the detergents and sulfates. I clarify occasionally but I don't use a sulfate free shampoo any more.

I used a sulfate free shampoo today and my hair was less defined and falter than yesterday when I used a sulfate one

I used a sulfate free shampoo today and my hair was less defined and falter than yesterday when I used a sulfate one

So y'all just cowash? What do y'all use?
    I don't cowash. I use shampoo daily. Today I tried to cowash and my scalp is very oily. Not doing that again
    sKorpio, have you tried the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo? That's the only shampoo that I have been able to use at every wash and it leaves my hair so soft! I use it as a face wash as well, it's that good. Although I do have to use YTCucs once week or week and a half for any buildup issues starting. But heck, if it works.
    No I haven't. I'm assuming it's sulfate free?
    Yeah, it's silicone and sulfate free! I use the Moisture Renewing shampoo by Shea moisture and I love it! I'm planning on buying the coconut and hibiscus curl and shine one next
    The only reason I hesitate is because I used one of their products in my hair before and it weighed it down and made it oily
    What did you use?
    The gel soufflé
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cowashing makes me shed like crazy. I have forced it on myself many types though. I never learn lol. I now shampoo my hair once a week and then style since its winter.

However if I wash my hair a few times during the week I will cowash one day and I find water only with good massaging works great too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:

Yes, it is sulfate free and amazing! (The Moisture Retention shampoo dried out my hair like crazy.)

FYI I tried the soufflé as well and absolutely hated it!! So now I alternate the milk with the smoothie and use KCCC.

Yes, it is sulfate free and amazing! (The Moisture Retention shampoo dried out my hair like crazy.)

FYI I tried the soufflé as well and absolutely hated it!! So now I alternate the milk with the smoothie and use KCCC.

Does it have protein in it? According the that live curly live free hair analysis, I should stay away from protein. Also, I found KCCC to be too heavy too. The only product I use is the spiral spritz. And, if I add anything else I look like a wet dog

Does it have protein in it? According the that live curly live free hair analysis, I should stay away from protein. Also, I found KCCC to be too heavy too. The only product I use is the spiral spritz. And, if I add anything else I look like a wet dog

I can see that. It definitely dries odd. I have to scrunch mine a lot, but my hair does very well with it.

Here are the ingredients:
    Contains de-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, aloe vera leaf juice, vitamin E, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) seed oil, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (coconut oil), Panthenol (vitamin B-5), rosemary extract, silk protein, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract. *Denotes certified organic ingredients.

Silk is the more mild protein, but I'd use your judgment. I personally can't really tell the effects from it (my hair seems to need a lot of protein).

Here BotticelliBrit was recommending it at every chance she got (which is how I got using it), now I am.. lol

ETA: I get mine from Target. I've had to return a few SM products that didn't work. If anything you could try it out and return it if you don't like it.

I can see that. It definitely dries odd. I have to scrunch mine a lot, but my hair does very well with it.

Contains de-ionized water, Decyl Glucoside (sugar beets), Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea butter)*, aloe vera leaf juice, vitamin E, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) seed oil, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate (coconut oil), Panthenol (vitamin B-5), rosemary extract, silk protein, Lonicera Caprifolium (honeysuckle) flower and Lonicera Japonica (Japanese honeysuckle) flower extract. *Denotes certified organic ingredients.

Silk is the more mild protein, but I'd use your judgment. I personally can't really tell the effects from it (my hair seems to need a lot of protein).

Here BotticelliBrit was recommending it at every chance she got (which is how I got using it), now I am.. lol

ETA: I get mine from Target. I've had to return a few SM products that didn't work. If anything you could try it out and return it if you don't like it.

Really?! I didn't know I could return hair products to target after I tested them! 😱

Really?! I didn't know I could return hair products to target after I tested them! 😱

Yeah, same for Sally's Beauty supply! It's so convenient haha
    That's why I love Sally's. I was sad because target has products I wanna try but I didn't know they had the same policy as Sally's. *grabs car keys*
    I know me too. I need to get the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shone shampoo and conditioner! Haha
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I know me too. I need to get the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shone shampoo and conditioner! Haha

Haha yes, get it! It's amazing!!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list