Probably been asked and answered a zillion times

amanda819amanda819 Registered Users Posts: 1
So, I've been perusing these message boards for the last few days and finally decided to make the jump and attempt this whole thing. But, I am finding myself very confused. Like I said, I've been looking around here and can't seem to find a straight forward answer anywhere.

How many different products does one use? Or maybe I should say how many 'steps' are there?

1) Wash with a sulfate free shampoo (low poo)
2) Wash the scalp with silicone free conditioner (co-wash)
3) Condition the rest of your hair
4) Get out of the shower (haha)
5) Leave in conditioner
6) Curl cream/Gel/ Whatever else

Now, I understand (or at least think I understand) that the low poo is optional. So, does that mean that if you omit that you need one co wash conditioner, one other conditioner, and one leave in conditioner? Or is all of the conditioner that you use in the shower the same one?

I am probably WAY over thinking this but I just want to understand before I go out and buy all kinds of things.

Yesterday, I went to Trader Joe's and got some of their shampoo and conditioner (I read about it on here). And I used my old (bad) shampoo one last time, and then lathered up my hair with conditioner in the shower, combed through it with my fingers and then rinsed clean. Didn't have a leave in that was acceptable, so I just used an old t-shirt and used the 'plop method.' I noticed that my hair was a little bit less frizzy this morning, although that could just be my imagination haha.

So, am I kinda-sorta-maybe on the right track? Do I need to buy some more types of conditioners? If so, what should the difference be between them? (Is there something special to differentiate between a cowash conditioner and a 'regular' conditioner?)

Thank you so much to anyone willing to lend me a little insight and help me to feel a smidge less clueless! :)

Amanda
(Hair type is somewhere between 2a and 2b)

Comments

• KellyofCurlsKellyofCurls Central MARegistered Users Posts: 67
    I'm still super dupah new to this CG thing so hopefully some more experienced curlies will chime in soon.

I don't think anyone can help steer you towards products without knowing what type of hair - fine, course, thick thin, porous, low porousity, normal, etc.

But the steps... I have 3A curls & fine/thin hair.

I am still working out a schedule for my hair and seeing what works best.

Today for example in the shower I did:

1. protein treatment - gelatin, drop of oil, little bit of vinegar and a drop or two of conditioner mixed up.

2. cowashed with Tresemme Naturals conditioner.

3. plopped

4. FSG (flax seed gel I made myself)

5. Diffused a bit

And I was done. I use FSG everyday. I usually don't use more than 1 product in the shower. Sometimes I cowash with Sauve Naturals. Sometimes I use Loreal's Evercurl Cleansing Conditioner. I have 3 products in the shower, but usually only use 1 of them on any given day.

But that's because I have fine hair. My hair tends to get weighed down by too much conditioners. It's all about figuring out what kind of hair you have and experimenting.

I read something someone said was to look at people's signatures to see what type of hair they have and try to follow those that have similiar hair types to you to see what they're using.
    3A, Fine, Unsure of porosity
    Curly Girl since 11/10/13 - Still figuring out what works best for my hair!
    lopoo 1x per week with - Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo
    Conditioners: Sauve Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Sports Gel
    Curl Refresher - water. Still looking for something
    PT: IAGirl's Protein Treatment
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    You can have many or as few steps as you want.

The main idea is to ensure your hair doesn't dry out as dry hair tends to equal loss of curls.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    It depends on your hair properties, how you like your hair to feel, and the dew points.

Some people can load the conditioner and products on, while other people need to use minimal amounts (like me).

Some people do well with cowashing, others do well with lowpooing. Some use a rinse out AND a leave in, others just skip the rinse out and go straight to the leave in, because it's a waste of product in some cases.

If you're doing a sulfate wash, the cowash can be skipped. I'd go straight to a deep conditioner and then do a leave in, or not wash your DC out all the way.

As for stylers, some people like a leave in conditioner underneath their gel. Some people like a leave in conditioner, a cream, and a gel. Some people just like a cream, while others prefer a leave in detangler and a gel. It's really mix and match with what your hair will do well with. Me personally, in the summer I like a leave in conditioner with a gel on top. In the winter I like a cream, a butter for a sealant, and a gel.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I strongly suggest getting a copy of the book, Curly Girl: The Handbook (also available here) for the real deal on CGing.

The short answer, however, is that to do CG, you only need two things: a silicone free conditioner, and a silicone free styling gel. Some people also need a sulfate (and silicone) free shampoo, known as a low-poo. The rest is individual preference, as people tweak the system.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    amanda819 wrote: »
    1) Wash with a sulfate free shampoo (low poo)
    2) Wash the scalp with silicone free conditioner (co-wash)
    3) Condition the rest of your hair
    4) Get out of the shower (haha)
    5) Leave in conditioner
    6) Curl cream/Gel/ Whatever else

Now, I understand (or at least think I understand) that the low poo is optional. So, does that mean that if you omit that you need one co wash conditioner, one other conditioner, and one leave in conditioner? Or is all of the conditioner that you use in the shower the same one?

Okay, so basically you can either co-wash or low-poo. Low pooing is just like washing your hair 'normally' - apply the low-poo, rinse it out then apply your conditioner.
    For co-washing you basically just use the conditioner as a shampoo, rinse that out and then apply more conditioner to condition with.
    Either of the above two are both CG, so do whatever is right for you. Some CGers don't get on well with co-washing and prefer low-pooing and vice versa.

As for leave-in conditioners, these can be optional, depending on whether or not you 'baptism rinse'. A baptism rinse is leaving some of your conditioner in your hair (so not washing it out properly), which allows you to omit using a leave-in.

Then, yes, you add your stylers and such, then scrunch and pump and leave to dry (not touching it during the drying process).

As the above poster said, you should buy the Curly Handbook (second addition). It's only a few pound and is SO helpful (separate chapters for each curl type plus a DVD to see the tips in action).
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    Welcome!

Do purchase the book and/ or read the stickies on this and the general haircare board.

As stated you low-poo OR co-wash. Can use between one and three conditioners, some use the same product for all three steps (wash, rinse out, leave in), others prefer to wash with a light product and condition with a richer one.

How many products depends on hair properties and ingredients. Even those with hair that does well with protein (fine or damaged) often don't like protein at the roots (= dry/ build up), ditto oils (= greasy not clean).
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 St. LouisRegistered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I use three different conditioners. I have a cleansing one, a rinse out, and a leave in (I actually have two different leave ins). I think it is just up to your personal preference and what you feel works best for your hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I have a cowash, a deep conditioner, moisturizer, & gel (custard). The moisturizer I use as a leave in. I'm toying with the idea of using the deva curl line. I love the no poo, the one condition & leave in. But don't like how the leave in & gel play together. (White ball city) I also like the detangle spray. But if I have a conditioner with a ton of slip no need for the detangle spray.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Are you considering B'Leave In the Deva leave in? I've cocktailed that with all the Deva gels except the Light Defining Gel (which I don't have) with great results and no problems for over four and a half years. I have never had it form white flakes.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file