Henna hesitations...

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
So... I ordered some henna and amla last weekend with the intention to dye my hair sometime in the near future. Red hair would not be new to me, but I haven't colored my hair in over a year. My hair is an ashy medium brown with red and blonde highlights in the summertime. In the winter it's just blah.

My only hesitation is.. my hair grows super fast - about an inch per month. I've never used henna before, but I hear it's messy, it takes a day to prepare, and you leave it on for 2-4 hours. Is all this a pain in the butt for maintenance? It's not like my roots would blend into the rest of my hair like the color I previously dyed my hair. Not sure what to do here. I'm torn between gray hair and maintaining a color... which is worse?

Any advice or tips from any of the henna heads out there, that would be great!
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    Henna doesn't take a day to prepare unless you are using a really acidic liquid like lemon juice. I use Jamila from HennaSooq and I mix it with chamomile tea. It's ready in 2-2 1/2 hours. I leave it on my roots for 2 1/2-3 hrs because I'm going for a medium copper. I don't want it any darker than that. I do my roots every 4-6 weeks. I don't find it to be high-maintenance and I really love the color and health of my hair with henna.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Thanks for the reply! I'm a total newb, so pardon my questions.

I thought you had to leave it out a day to let the dye release? What is the difference between leaving it out a few hours vs. 24 hours? And how do you know it's ready to go?
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Last time I used henna I mixed it with water, left it for 2 hours and applied it. My henna was from an Indian grocer and that was the instructions on the packet. The henna was mixed with 8 herbs so as my hair is dark brown it stayed the same colour.

The reason to leave it for hours is if you mix it with other products i.e. lemon juice the henna needs to react with it properly.
  • RytokaRytoka Registered Users Posts: 309 Curl Neophyte
    I usually mix it the night before and let is sit on the counter, you can also make a double batch and freeze it so all you have to do is thaw it out.
    I leave mine on for 3-4 hours so I do it on Sunday when I have nowhere to be, I just use the day to treat myself, mud masks and lazy movie day :)
    Katie
    2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
    Co Wash: As I am
    RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
    LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
    Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
    Color: Henna
    Tools: Diffusing
    :thumright:
    So someone let me know if I'm wrong. I'm just going over the hennaforhair ebook and to mix it with an acidic liquid, you'll leave it overnight.. or for 2 hours if the temp is 95 degrees. If you don't use acidic liquid and let it sit, the red will be much less and will fade.

So now I just have to figure out how strong I want it. I guess I'll do 2 tests on sample hair and see which I like better. This is kind of confusing and I keep finding conflicting information on here since everybody does it differently.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    There are many who say that using a very acidic liquid makes the henna come out a "rustier" color, and there is no evidence that using lemon juice, etc. makes the henna last longer or take better. It can also be extremely drying to the hair. I've used tea from day one (I've been hennaing for at least 1 1/2 years). My henna isn't going anywhere lol. Using such an acidic liquid like lemon juice is what makes henna take so long to release the dye. Using lukewarm/cool tea or water allows it to release much faster. If you go to the Long Hair Community, they have a subforum where henna is talked about a LOT. That's where I learned so much about it. A lot of the ladies there are extremely knowledgeable about henna. Hope that helps!
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    sixelamy wrote: »

So now I just have to figure out how strong I want it. I guess I'll do 2 tests on sample hair and see which I like better. This is kind of confusing and I keep finding conflicting information on here since everybody does it differently.

Everyone does it differently because everyone's hair is different - colour, porosity, curl pattern etc - and while you can quality control henna, you can't ensure that it will produce exactly the same colour in every batch for the same supplier. (Ever colour matched paint or wool?)

When I last used henna 14 years ago I still mixed it with water but my first mixing and application was under the guidance of a housemate. As the supplier was different and I left it on for longer I got redder hair.
  • lovebonitalovebonita Registered Users Posts: 134
    So someone let me know if I'm wrong. I'm just going over the hennaforhair ebook and to mix it with an acidic liquid, you'll leave it overnight.. or for 2 hours if the temp is 95 degrees. If you don't use acidic liquid and let it sit, the red will be much less and will fade.

Hey if you're mixing amla with your henna, DON'T add lemon! Amla powder is acidic enough to release the dye in the henna; if you add lemon on top of that you'll likely completely dry out your hair and scalp.

My friend and I just henna-ed (I just made that word up) this weekend and we had completely different mixes:
    Mine was 250g of Dulhan henna, ~2 cups water, 50g amla and let that sit overnight. Then, right before applying, I mixed about 1 cup of Tresseme Naturals conditioner and 1tbs EVOO. It was smooth, thick, and pretty easy to apply.

My friend used 125g of Dulhan henna, 1 can of coconut milk, ~1/2 cup water and let that sit overnight. Then, right before applying she added ~3-4 tbs Jojoba oil to hers. Hers was a lot thinner than mine and dripped while it set.

We both got pretty similar results and she didn't even use an acid!
    I did my henna on Saturday and I did 1/2 henna 1/2 amla with distilled water (and then added some conditioner before I put it in). I let it sit while I was at a craft show, and it came out perfect! I didn't quite have enough (very dense hair over here), so I plan to do a second application this week when my next shipment arrives. I love it! I think I will try some tea next time, I hear it's good for the hair. My hair didn't come out dry, but it sure felt dry when applying it.

Thanks everyone for the replies, you have helped a lot in my understanding.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    Can to use henna if you don't want to color your?
    You can use cassia which, I believe, brings out the natural highlights in your hair and makes it shiny.
  • MaurMaur Registered Users Posts: 8
    Love your color.
    2C* Normal Porosity * Medium Density * Chin length
    Still playing with products (using mostly Deva right now)
    Wavymaur:love10:

Working on finding my inner curl.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    I did my henna on Saturday and I did 1/2 henna 1/2 amla with distilled water (and then added some conditioner before I put it in). I let it sit while I was at a craft show, and it came out perfect! I didn't quite have enough (very dense hair over here), so I plan to do a second application this week when my next shipment arrives. I love it! I think I will try some tea next time, I hear it's good for the hair. My hair didn't come out dry, but it sure felt dry when applying it.

Your hair looks gorgeous! Loooove the color on you! congrats on a very successful henna treatment :D
    Korkscrew wrote: »

Your hair looks gorgeous! Loooove the color on you! congrats on a very successful henna treatment :D

Thanks! I did a second with with henna, amla, and indigo... perfect color! I did less amla which made my hair super soft this time, I am in love!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights