CurlTalk

GF Curl & Shine Leave In

Well, yesterday I decided to buy a bottle of this to experiment. Even though I try to stay as far away from cones as possible, I thought to myself since I have CoN at home I could try this out, and if it doesn't work for me, oh well, I can wash it out without any issue.

So here's what I did yesterday...

Washed with CoN to start off as clean as possible. I also used Tea Tree Oil to try to eliminate my flakey scalp issue...

Conditioned with Suave Toasted Vanilla & Sugar. Let it sit in my hair while I went about my regular showering routine. Detangled and rinsed it out.

Then I put a fairly good amount of the Curl & Shine in my hair. I raked upside down and then scrunched. Then I smoothed and Scrunched my Dep Texturize Gel. I plopped overnight.

This morning I unplopped and here is my reaction...

OH...MY...GOD! :shock: I had curls coming out of everywhere on my head! I had this one big coil that just kept falling onto my forehead. It was like I was in a commercial for curly hair products! My curls were so much more defined and tighter, nice and smooth, shiney! I was so :D :D :D :D

And check this out...this morning we had a HUGE rain storm here in NYC. I mean, torrential rain and high winds that were sending umbrellas flying all over the place. Mine broke a little and I was getting tossed around and wet. I wound up hopping a cab to work it was so bad. When I got out to run into my office building, big rain drops fell on my head. When I got in, I went to the restroom and saw very little frizz. :shock: :D :D :D

And one of my coworkers was in there too and she noted that my curls were extra curly today. I said that in this weather I'm shocked I don't have a big puff ball on my head. She said "No no, they are tight and tapered. They look very nice today. You know, I used to pay to have hair like that a very long time ago..." :lol:

Anyway, I'm very :D :D :D :D :D :D about this. Now I see why so many of you are stuck on the GF leave ins! I think I'm going to be using C&S for a long long long time...I hope I don't get build up or anything bad :(
3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.

Comments

• mrfhnlmrfhnl Posts: 276Registered Users
    so this has a lot of cones?
    3B, normal porosity, med to coarse texture
    Deva Inspired, LiveCurlyLiveFree Trained Stylist
  • kjwavykjwavy Posts: 362Registered Users
    mrfhnl wrote:
    so this has a lot of cones?

It only has the a-cone (same cone as in the Deva products), but it's higher up on the ingredient list in the GF :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    My hair seems to really love the GF CnS too. It's great when you find something that works, isn't it?

dominicanaheat- I think we might be hair twins!!! :D :D You're the first I've seen here close to mine!! When I opened your album, I did a double take. Mine is pretty thick & yours seems a lot thicker than mine wow- beautiful!!!

ETA-- I don't seem to get build up from CnS-- I do use gentle poo every few weeks & haven't had a problem yet. Nothing like when using straight cone serums.
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Well it's warmer now, it's time to switch back to curl and shine. Thanks for reminding me!

I'm glad you got good results it's amazing what a difference it makes
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • SkibiesSkibies Posts: 156Registered Users
    I want to try this and the Giovanni Direct, thanks so much for the post.
    3&4 Curls and Corkscrews
    Poo:Marshmallow Shampoo Bar
    Conditioner:Yes To Tomatoes & She Scent It Avocado Conditioner
    Leave-in:QB Burdock Cream
    Styling:QB Amla & Heavy Cream
    Hair Mask:Bentonite Clay
    :afro: *NO MORE HEAT STYLING MY HAIR, JUST LOVING MY HAIR*
    My Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Frizosbonitos.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
  • ClaritaClarita Posts: 198Registered Users
    I just remembered I have some of this! I'm going to try it today along with the Dep texture gel, too. Thanks for the reminder. :)
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Low
    Elasticity: Low
    Density: Medium/High...I think

~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    That's great!

Just make sure not to rely on CON to get it out (it won't). A mild 'poo with a betaine used every couple of times would definitely do the trick! Enjoy the good hair day! :D
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • mrfhnlmrfhnl Posts: 276Registered Users
    so not good for no pooers. :(
    3B, normal porosity, med to coarse texture
    Deva Inspired, LiveCurlyLiveFree Trained Stylist
    There are plenty of no pooers that do fine with this leave in.
    CoN is a Cg friendly shampoo. It doesn't have any sulfates in it. I think it's coco... betaine that is the cleanser but I know it's CG at any rate.

I just ran C&S over my hair to calm the frizz (it's 11% humidity ack!) and boy my hair feels good.
    2c/3a?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

• wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    medusahair wrote:
    CoN is a Cg friendly shampoo. It doesn't have any sulfates in it. I think it's coco... betaine that is the cleanser but I know it's CG at any rate.

I just ran C&S over my hair to calm the frizz (it's 11% humidity ack!) and boy my hair feels good.

Sadly, it doesn't. :( CON just has that decyl stuff in HCC, and that can't remove any cones. But it's true that some are fine with amodimethicone! I hope this poster is one of those!
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    i just tried it too-scored some at walgreens. i just co washed w suave naturals as usual and used garner curl and shine leavein as the only product after rinsing the CO wash. plopped and took pics after it dried before bed, then took more in the morning. it held all day while hiking. great stuff! i have been using various GF prods and the A cone is OK in my hair--i just co wash with suave except for my pre coloring poo every 6 wks. i'm very happy with it. giovannie works for my hair too as does boots white and the deva prods. i put new pics up of garnier C&S on fotki
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • ClaritaClarita Posts: 198Registered Users
    I just used the C&S leave-in w/ the gel and it worked really well! Lots of bouncy, shiny curls! It's too soon for me to tell if it will build up, but I usually don't have a problem with similar products. Back in my "cone-days" I was able to use Pantene CO every single day and only poo (also w/ pantene) once a week. Go figure! I guess everyones hair really is different. :)
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Low
    Elasticity: Low
    Density: Medium/High...I think

~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~
    Oh well dang that's the shampoo I used. I guess the A cone doesn't build up on me. Good stuff for frizz and my hair loves the apricot oil in the GF conditioners
    2c/3a?

• tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    What is CoN? I'm reading this and dying to know! Pardon my ignorance... :oops:
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    tooj68 wrote:
    What is CoN? I'm reading this and dying to know! Pardon my ignorance... :oops:

Cream of Nature (shampoo) :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    CON is cream of nature, it can be found at many drug stores. Activate shampoo, has betaine in it. It smells kinda fruity and does not dry out your hair. I haven't had any problems with build up either with the C&S.
  • AnotherSunnyDayAnotherSunnyDay Posts: 94Registered Users
    I love the Sleek and Shine leave in..but I've been thinking about trying Curl and Shine.. If anybody has tried both, do you think Curl and Shine will make a difference in terms of making my hair curlier? I like Sleek and Shine because I really need frizz control, but if curl and shine does that AND enhance curl.. I'd be one happy girl:)
    C&S leaves my hair curlier but S&S has more moisture
    So which one you use depends on what you need and of course that was in MY particular hair that I noticed this.

Thanks for the tip on the activate shampoo, I'll have to track some of that down. I haven't had buildup so far but I keep trying to find a cg shampoo with coco.. betaine in it
    2c/3a?

• lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Has anyone tried the 'sheer' version yet? The one for finer, more flyaway hair? Just wondering if there's really a difference in this and the regular.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    You're welcome to those of you who have been meaning to try this :)
    medusahair wrote:

Sadly, it doesn't. :( CON just has that decyl stuff in HCC, and that can't remove any cones. But it's true that some are fine with amodimethicone! I hope this poster is one of those!

Ack well hopefully I am one of those, too! :lol: I washed my hair again tonight and it seemed to be very clean after I used CoN to wash. But if I see any sort of build up happening I have a betaine based shampoo that I don't use too often because CoN is wonders for my hair. Thanks for the tip! ;)
    tinabcurly wrote:

dominicanaheat- I think we might be hair twins!!! :D :D You're the first I've seen here close to mine!! When I opened your album, I did a double take. Mine is pretty thick & yours seems a lot thicker than mine wow- beautiful!!!

Why thank you! You know i had to take a trip to your fotki and yes I agree, we are hair twins! That's awesome! :D I think I've only had one hair twin on this board since joining in 2005.
    3a/3b thick coarse WL dark brown hair. CG/Mod CG since: 5/4/05. Current products: Right now my hair is in such a tizzy over this winter weather we are hving that nothing really seems to be working. I need a haircut.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    Activate shampoo is definately CG. But I honestly only use it like once a month.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    i have continued my experiments with GF c&S leavein. i really like it. I find tho that overnight plopping gives me the best curls. i could have had 3rd day hair with this method. 3/3/07 I plopped overnight --there are pics from both at night and in morning. last night i cowashed and used the GF CS and it air dried --went to a dinner party with it wet and it did not dry completely in the plopping turban, so the curls were a bit looser. I pineappled overnight and it came out ok this morning, but not fabulous like it did on 3/3. pics of both days are on my fotki. I am coming to the conclusion that there is a group of products that work equally well for me. when I dry my hair at home in the plopping turbans, I usually go through 2-3 turbans. sometimes i go to sleep with my hair dripping wet in the second turban, wake with damp and air dry. hair is best tho when i go to bed with it middling damp and wakeup with it slightly damp and then the curls are great. unfortunately my best hair is usually at night before bed or in the morning, rarely in the evening when i go out since i insist on hiking till the last minute and then swimming , jumping in the shower and running out the door with the plopping turbans and drying in the car!!
    oh well :)
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • bibblesbibbles Posts: 54Registered Users
    Hi All

I have been trying to get hold of this GF curl and shine for a very long time but they don't seem to sell it here in the UK.

Anyone any ideas?
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    banjo, your hair really looks phenomenal in those fructis pictures!! :o You haven't experienced any build-up problems from the Soft Curl Cream? I tried it once and really liked my results, but hadn't realized it had dimethicone in it. I stopped using it after that, but if you haven't had any problems removing it with Suave, then I might be willing to give it another try. :?:
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    Wow Banjo that overnight plop with the GF sure is great in your hair! I am going to have to try that!
    2c/3a?

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    so this is the leave in. not the regular curl and shine conditioner that you are just using as a leave in?
    i just want to be sure i buy the right one! :wink:
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    so this is the leave in. not the regular curl and shine conditioner that you are just using as a leave in?
    i just want to be sure i buy the right one! :wink:

Yup, the leave-in in the shorter bottle with a squirt top. Great stuff! :D
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Posts: 652Registered Users
    fabulous!!
    i'm going to pick some of that up this week. i need to get some new makeup so i might as well add this to my list.
    banjo, your hair looks AWESOME and i can't believe how FREAKIN LONG it is!!! how long is it wet?! it's grown SO Much from when we first started posting on here!

does this stuff help with frizz and shine?
    i have a bunch of new growth and i had a bad experience with a hair stylisting using thinning shears on my head....so the little hairs stick out all over...i'd love some cones to help hide those! i'm hoping this is the answer!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • DominicanaHeatDominicanaHeat Posts: 2,729Registered Users
    Banjo's hair is GORGEOUS! I love the length and color and the GF is working wonders for her!

Curious to know, have any of you GF C&S ladies ever tried this without any other product on top? Just the leave in as the only product?
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Curious to know, have any of you GF C&S ladies ever tried this without any other product on top? Just the leave in as the only product?

I have! Pictures here :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5: