Protective style killing my head!!

alexisevansalexisevans Posts: 15Registered Users
I have never had braids and I've never protective styled. I just got box braids done and my head is killing me! Is this normal since I've never gotten braids and not use to this type of pain. I've already took a Tylenol but is head pain okay?

Comments

• belwillcoilybelwillcoily Posts: 303Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have never had braids and I've never protective styled. I just got box braids done and my head is killing me! Is this normal since I've never gotten braids and not use to this type of pain. I've already took a Tylenol but is head pain okay?

Sounds like the braids are in too tight. Whether your hair is braided with extensions or just your hair braided, it can be installed too tightly. I advice you to take them down/out ASAP as a headache will be the least of your worries because tight braids can snatch hair right out of your scalp and cause damage to the follicles.
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • GotitorDontGotitorDont Posts: 26Registered Users
    My mother got what I think were senegalese twists before and they hurt her scalp. She had a constant headache. They were expensive and were supposed to stay in for 1 to 2 months but she ended up taking them out after a week. Wasn't worth the pain.

I advise you to possibly do the same if it's causing headaches.
    Hair type: 4b with 3c on top
    High density, medium porosity, thick with medium width strands, back grows faster than front

Length: APL | BSL | MBL | WL
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No hair stye should give you bad headaches, so I'd say the braids are way too tight. You should take them out because pulling the hair too tight can be really damaging (plus, you know, painful).
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you need to take pain killers the braids are too tight. Curly and kinky hair is elastic so having braids in shouldn't hurt.

In fact if the braider is highly skilled your braids should look tight but you won't feel a thing.

Also never let a braider braid your edges unless you want to go bald.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I recall having box braids many years ago and the first day was uncomfortable, then they loosened up. But it wasn't the level of pain you're describing here.

So, just another voice of agreement: a hairstyle shouldn't feel like punishment.

It must be disappointing to have sat there patiently as your hair was being done, anticipating a positive result that would last a while, when we're suggesting you take it all down. But I think you'll feel relieved once it's all out.
  • IamCiCiIamCiCi Posts: 5Registered Users
    Try some olive oil (minimum) on your scalp, if you paI'd alot to have them done you dont wanna waste your money, give it a day or too rub olive oil on your scalp & after about 24-48 hrs if it still hurts, hang it up & take them out
    ! Wish you well :-D
    Sent From My Samsung S3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file