Straightening 3b hair -- what products to use??

CSaint407CSaint407 Registered Users Posts: 30
It's been 2 years since I've worn my hair straight. I have gotten my fine thin porous hair back in the best condition it has been in in many years by using the most natural products I can find...no silicones, no sulfates, no drying alcohols, lessened use of PVPs. I've added protein treatments, learned to balance moisture to protein, as well as incorporated natural oils: EVCO, Grapeseed oil, Vatika oil and Castor oil for a variety of purposes like pre-poo'ing, sealing and conditioning.

Now that fall/winter is here I want to wear it straight BUT I do not want to lose the curl health/definition I have achieved (of course wink.gif). I'm leaning towards a roller-set (always got smoother longer set) instead of doing a blow-out/flat-iron to straighten. I may need to touch up roots or smooth a little w/ flat-iron after roller-set.

MY QUESTION is: What products should I use to "set" my roller set that do not contain all of the silicones and drying alcohol? As well, what do I use for heat protection?

Any experience/advice/youtube recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks and HAPPY MONDAY!
3b/a
Fine Texture
Medium Density
Color Treated
High Porosity
Medium Long Length

Comments

• CSaint407CSaint407 Registered Users Posts: 30
    <<bump>>
    3b/a
    Fine Texture
    Medium Density
    Color Treated
    High Porosity
    Medium Long Length
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Hollis, NYRegistered Users Posts: 1,665
    I was considering the same for the holidays. I was going to try the Chi silk heat protectant serum or whatever it's called after a roller set or before. I'm not very good at rollersets myself but the jane carter roller setting foam is awesome.

My hair doesn't stay straight for anything with a blow out and flat iron. It's just not having it.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
    There's a video of a girl on YouTube doing a really good silk wrap, I'll see if I can find it.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • geegee FloridaRegistered Users Posts: 40
    I have long waist length hair which is dyed and I straighten it from my time to time. Before I straighten it, I deep condition it and then use olive oil and tresemme heat protectant. When I decide to wash my hair again, I deep condition as well. My curls spring back up.

3a/3b curls.
    Medium texture, medium porosity, and extremely protein sensitive.
    Moderate CG? No harsh sulfates, limited 'cones.
    Poo: L'oreal Ever Sleek
    Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Deep Condish: L'oreal Ever Pure
    Styling products: Bumble & Bumble smoothing creme, Not Your Mother's Curl Creme, and Giovanni gel.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    You can use your usual gel, or a dilute version of it, on your wet hair.

In order to smooth your hair all the way, and not have curly roots which you feel the need to straighten, section your hair well, in strips approximately as wide as the length of the rollers, then smaller sections about as deep as the width of the roller, and roll it all the way to the scalp before fastening it. Do this over your entire scalp.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file