Mixing hair colors for auburn - please help!

ValentinaNValentinaN Registered Users Posts: 4
So basically I wanted to change my hair color from a medium brown with gold and copper undertones to Emma Stone's rich auburn hair color and used 4.4 Medium Brown/Red from L'Oreal's Majirel collection. Silly me! :pale: There is far less (medium) brown and too much copper and the result is not natural, especially since I only used a 6 developer and the color didn't really grab to the roots, turning them purple rather than red.

Now I want to start mixing colors by myself (I don't really trust my hairdresser) so I'm thinking of mixing 1/2 4.3 golden Medium Brown +1/2 4.4 medium brown/red. Should I use less 4.4 since my hair is already red? Or should I better mix 4.0 medium brown natural instead of 4.3? This is my first time mixing colors and I don't have much info on this :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• ValentinaNValentinaN Registered Users Posts: 4
    I am adding now another question:

If I dye my hair now with 20 volume developer then my purple roots and "lowlights" will become medium brown/auburn as the rest of my hair or dark brown/black? Is the 6% developer enough to strip the older color? Or should I use a color remove such as Color B4 and try again later?:cry:
  • JLeighsJLeighs Registered Users Posts: 904 Curl Novice
    I wish I could answer your question. Mixing colors is a tricky business which is why it's so important to strand test. I wouldn't do any more all-over coloring until you've done a strand test because if it ends up being a complete disaster, you're going to end up at the salon anyway with an expensive color correction. That's what happened to me. If you don't trust your stylist, get a new one. Seriously. I have a fantastic stylist who is a master at coloring. I use henna now, but he knows his colors and does an excellent job.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file