Natural hair don't need trims?

asagiasagi Registered Users Posts: 194
So I just went to a new salon that's opened up this week. I'm still getting used to having to deal with my hair in its natural state so can't tell everything yet so I asked the main hairdresser does my hair need a trim. She ask me if it was texturized and upon being told no said that if my hair is natural then it doesn't need a trim. Then she said natural hair don't need trimming. I'm a bit confused is that true? Also I asked if she can cornrow my hair since it's short. This other hairdresser that was just standing there watching me ever since I stepped into the place suddenly grabs my hair and starts pulling it all over my head to see the length. And she pulled hard! I mean is that necessary? Do all hairdressers do this? Is it because it's believed natural hair is stronger than relaxed hair she felt she could pull that hard? I never experienced that when I had relaxer and I did put in cornrows from time to time.
Curl type: 3C/4A
Strand thickness: Fine-Medium-Thick
Porosity: low to medium to high (depends on where on my head)
Density: medium - high
Co-wash :Tresemme's Naturals Conditioner
Moisturizer: Aunt Jackie's Girls Baby Girl Curls: Curling & Twisting Custard
DC: Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breaking Strengthing DC
PT: Hair Mayonaise/Coconut Oil
Sealant: Jamican Black Castor oil
Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Any one who touches you without your permission especially if they are hurting you is abusing you - tell them to stop immediately.

I suggest you take your business elsewhere as no hairdresser should pull your hair to hurt it.

While natural hair is stronger than relaxed hair depending on your individual hair it may not be that strong.

Natural hair does need trims however if you take care of the ends it doesn't need to be trimmed that often. You should learn to dust your hair yourself.

If you use a salon that has 99% Black clientèle you may find that the hairdressers aren't use to cutting hair so will avoid it if possible. I suggest you use a salon that has a more mixed clientèle.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    Whether or not anyone needs a trim is somewhat subjective. Some people go years w/out a trim or never trim and their hair is perfectly healthy and full, w/out obvious splits or breakage. Then again, others find their hair thins out and splits a lot - more so if they're using chemicals or heat - and so they choose to trim it as needed.

Or another reason to get the next trim or cut is to maintain a shape that makes the hair easier to style and manage. For me, I know it's time for a trim when my layers are growing out to the point where my hair/curls start looking weighed down and less springy.

Not every stylist will truthfully answer your question about how often to trim because s/he makes $$ every time you step into her salon. It is to a stylist's benefit to tell you to get a trim from them as often as possible.

Use your own eyes to gauge how often you need a trim. Trust the look and behavior of your hair. You'll probably know when you need a trim.
  • asagiasagi Registered Users Posts: 194
    Thanks for the advice you guys!
    Curl type: 3C/4A
    Strand thickness: Fine-Medium-Thick
    Porosity: low to medium to high (depends on where on my head)
    Density: medium - high
    Co-wash :Tresemme's Naturals Conditioner
    Moisturizer: Aunt Jackie's Girls Baby Girl Curls: Curling & Twisting Custard
    DC: Profectiv Mega Growth Anti-Breaking Strengthing DC
    PT: Hair Mayonaise/Coconut Oil
    Sealant: Jamican Black Castor oil
    Gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Registered Users Posts: 428
    Korkscrew how much do you suggest I trim? My length and ends are old damage but the rest is healthy thanks to CG! I was thinking an inch or two so my curls could spring up again.
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    You might consider a hair analysis such as Goosefootprints on Etsy, review on Pedaheh's Wavy Library blog.

You can ask her to compare ends to lengths say, and advise how much is badly damaged. Personally I trim whatever is straggly, seems overly porous or has lost some of its curl pattern.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I personally trim every four months of so, usually if I notice I've got split ends or if my ends in general look like they're in need of it.

Everyone is individual and nobody knows your hair better than you, so I think that when you think you need a trim then that is when you do.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Ok thank you :)

*Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I've noticed the majority of hairdressers are very rough. I don't understand the need for it, IMO. How often you trim depends on if you have split ends or not, or if you need some shape to your hair. I definitely would NOT say that all natural hair doesn't need trimming.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Korkscrew how much do you suggest I trim? My length and ends are old damage but the rest is healthy thanks to CG! I was thinking an inch or two so my curls could spring up again.

Hmmm. Well, sounds like you already have a good idea about how much of your hair is old and damaged, correct? So maybe the next question to ask yourself is, how much of your damaged hair are you willing to part with right now?

You could gradually cut it out, assuming you don't have horrible split ends. My personal choice would be to lop off most or all the damage at once for the healthiest, springiest looking hair possible. But I'm extreme that way ;)
    Yea that's about right I think I'm just afraid of someone cutting it wrong. I just love my long hair so much and it tangles a lot but I don't have much split ends at all. I might have a few and that's it

I understand your hesitation. Best to research stylists first IMO. I figure "better safe than sorry". I have 3 blog entries about deciding if and when to cut your curly hair and how to go about getting the best curly cut possible. Feel free to check those out if you want (see my sig line for links). It's interesting how on the one hand,it's just hair, but on the other, we put so much time, patience, $$$ and effort into our hair that it's something to be guarded too ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file