Finally letting my hair do its thing!

dlcooper77dlcooper77 Registered Users Posts: 8
Hey, everyone!

I'm a 36-year-old recovering flat iron addict. For more than 20 years, I've been wrangling my curls into submission, but I've been feeling the need to embrace them here lately. I used to have curls closer to the end of the 3 spectrum, but years of heat damage and fluctuating hormones have worked in tandem to give me looser, fuzzy waves and curls that range anywhere from 2B to 3A. My hair is still a work in progress; it's going to take a while to recover from all the abuse, but the advice I've taken from this forum has been life-changing. :toothy5:

One issue I have encountered, which you may be able to see evidence of in my profile pic, is that I have this weird halo of frizz surrounding my head. Whether I air dry or use the diffuser, regardless of the product I use or how much of it I put in, and whether I put it in with my hair dripping wet or after it's been allowed to dry on its own a bit first, this is what happens. Do any of you have that problem? If so, how do you handle it?

Currently, I'm using Wen Fig cleansing conditioner (I love it except for the smell) and Moroccan Oil curl defining cream. I co-wash using the conditioner I already had on hand (Alterna Caviar conditioner), but I'm looking for others to try. I perused the product reviews yesterday and bought a container of Kinky-Curly Curling Custard. I used it immediately after washing this morning. My hair is in a plop right now, so I'll let you know how it turns out after I dry it.

Looking forward to reading more from each of you!
Straightening iron-free since 10/23/13, brand-new to CG!

2c/3a, fine, highly porous, no elasticity, medium-to-low density.

Current product rotation (still figuring this out!):
Co-Wash: Devacurl No-Poo
Clarify: Kinky-Curly Come Clean
Conditioner: Devacurl One Condition (also used as LI)
DT: Devacurl Heaven In Hair
Oil: Carol's Daughter Tui oil (ends only)
Styling: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Not a huge fan of plopping with product in my hair. Diffusing > air drying.

Comments

• dlcooper77dlcooper77 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Something weird is going on with my profile at the moment, so I'm putting the picture here for posterity's sake:

Photo on 11-5-13 at 10.59 AM #2.jpg

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I think the right products are essential for frizz prevention so I'm interested to see how you get on with KCCC. Especially since frizz is a huge pet peeve of mine and I've been wanting to try out KCCC for some time :D

Do you have a good leave-in to apply before your styler? This can really help frizz. Your also may want to look into the LOC method (adjusting it to suit your hair, so it's not too heavy).
    Oh and I've found baptism rinses work a treat for preventing frizz, or at least minimising it. In case you don't know, a baptism rinse is where you don't fully rinse out your conditioner. This is more moisturising than a leave-in and saves you having to apply one.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Holy frizz reduction, Batman!

Photo on 11-6-13 at 10.31 AM #2.jpg

I'm working on a project at the moment, so I lost track of time and inadvertently plopped for an hour and a half. Huge mistake. I can't leave the house with my hair looking like this.

BUT.

The KCCC feels AMAZING in my hair, and it cut down on the frizz tremendously. I seriously don't think my hair has ever been this free of frizz. Although the extended plop left me with wonky hair, it feels incredibly bouncy and unbelievably soft. There's a mild bit of crunch in the parts that I'm allowing to air dry, but it's easily scrunched out. I'll know for sure if I'm ready to commit to KCCC for good after I manage to get a good style out of it, but I am in love with the results thus far!

I have a whole cabinet full of leave-in products, none of which have delivered on the frizz reduction front. Here lately, I've just been following the instructions on the bottle of Wen, so I reapply a pump or two after I've rinsed it from my hair. The baptism rinse makes a lot of sense, though, so I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice! :D

I'm so glad you had such a good experience, dude! Ahhh this has made me so excited to try KCCC :D I also need to try my hand at plopping one of these days ...

Let me know how you get on with the baptism rinse!

DC:

I did the baptism rinse with my co-wash today! Seems to have worked quite nicely, and I am still in love with the KCCC. It feels so awesome to finally have some sort of routine that pampers my hair rather than tortures it! Thank you again for the advice!

One thing I'm not loving so much is plopping. My hair is rather short right now (chin length with curls), so perhaps I should wait until it's longer. It seems like plopping is stretching my curls out a bit, making my hair appear less curly than it is if I air dry or diffuse immediately after I shower. This is the second time I've emerged from a plop with what amounts to a bird's nest of hair on my head (albeit a sleeker, less frizzy one than I'm used to). So I think I'm going to skip that tomorrow and see how it goes.

Oooh I see! I'm wary about things elongated my curls - I like to have some spring. My hair's around the same length as yours (sits on my shoulders when curly), so if you're not getting on well with it then I probably won't either lol. Maybe it's more for long-haired folks!

Quick question about the KCCC - what is the texture like? Is it quite thick or more of a jelly? As thicker gels tend t weigh my curls down.

DC:

I'd say it feels kind of like a hair gel. In fact, when I first applied the product, I was afraid it would make my hair stiff and crunchy like a gel because it felt so much like one. It appears thicker than it actually is, too. It felt more like egg whites as I applied it to my hair.

• chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is about your length, and I can only plop for 10 mins max, or I get wonky curls. To me, your halo frizz just looks like you're not getting enough product there, I always a apply extra on the back canopy to make sure it's all covered.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    Just so you know, you're using products with cones in them (the Wen Fig Cleansing Conditioner, and the Moroccan Oil Curl Defining Cream), so you'll want to make sure you use a cleanser which will remove them.

You can plop just fine with short hair. My hair was considerably shorter than yours when I started out, and it worked fine for me. Just think of it as holding the scrunch in place with a towel or T-shirt. So scrunch the hair close to your head, and bring the towel around to hold that in place. It can take a little more dexterity, but you'll also have better results with plopping when your hair gets longer if you get in the habit of doing this.

BTW, I love KCCC too. Great choice!
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Registered Users Posts: 317
    I love KCCC and have finally been getting consistent multi day hair day results. I have almost waist length hair, medium/low density and I use a LOT of KCCC. I also use a LOT of LI; I use so much LI, that when I comb it after my shower, it leaves residue on my wide toothed comb. For me, using a lot of LI and KCCC and a hard hold gel is what allows me to have multi day hair
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1384129161.649046.jpg
    (Third day hair with a LOT of ups and downs in a scrunchie)
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Registered Users Posts: 317
    I love KCCC and have finally been getting consistent multi day hair results. I have almost waist length hair, medium/low density and I use a LOT of KCCC. I also use a LOT of LI; I use so much LI, that when I comb it after my shower, it leaves residue on my wide toothed comb. For me, using a lot of LI and KCCC and a hard hold gel is what allows me to have multi day hair
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1384129161.649046.jpg
    (Third day hair with a LOT of ups and downs in a scrunchie)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file