New to CG, question about towel and products in hair...

typeo_girltypeo_girl Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone, I am new to CG and so excited. I found a salon near me to get me a devacut too, to help with the curl in my hair!

I just have quick question about the towel, when your hair is wet and you put the product in, then wrap your head in it again....doesn't the product get all over the towel? Does it gunk the towel up? I can see using an old t-shirt, just throw it in the wash and clean it, but I don't want to ruin my new special towels.

Also, isn't the stuff that we wash our laundry in also full of chemicals and who knows what? Dryer sheets, softeners, etc. all leave an invisible film behind, would't that affect our hair in some way? I have ruined some clothing with dryer sheets, they don't react that well with certain fabrics, it leaves a weird greasy oily stain of some sort. Anyway, I guess the answer is to just use wool-lite and dry?

Thanks everyone! :icon_smile:

Comments

• chloe92uschloe92us Registered Users Posts: 1,203 Curl Neophyte
    I wash my hair turbans once a week. By the end of the week, parts of them sometimes feel a little stiff from the dried gel. You could just wash them more often if you want to.
    2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
    Cleanse: AIA cowash, TJ Tea Tree Condish
    Condish: JC Too Shea, Tresemme Botanique
    Stylers: flax/okra gel or KCCC + CJ PP or JC Spiralicious
    Experimenting with Got2B Ultra gel and loving it so far!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    You don't have to plop. I can't plop because it will make my hair straight so I let my hair air dry. It works perfectly. You can also you use paper towels to get out the excess water & product.
  • typeo_girltypeo_girl Registered Users Posts: 3
    So that begs the question, aren't you removing products even with paper towel?

Or is the amount of product removed really not worth worrying about?
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I wouldn't worry about how much product is removed by the towels. If it becomes an issue, you can always use a little more to start (personally, I can't add product after I start the drying process.)

In the instructions for washing the CLU cloths, it says not to put them in the dryer (or at least, no fabric softener.) I just let them air dry. Fabric softener coats them and makes them absorb less.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    My flour sack towels get gunked up with gel and excess hair dye that is pulled out, I don't see that as a problem since my bathroom is not a showroom and I simply wash the towels regularly. Your products should be water soluble, or at least would wash out with laundry powder.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    I have Deva towels I love. I throw them in with woolite and air dry. Yeah they gunk up. I may use them twice before washing. Flour sacks I just throw in all the time in a plain water cycle. Seems to work fine. Those I even dry. I will say those are probably my favorite towels.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    It really depends how much product you use on your hair. I don't use a whole lot and don't have a problem with gunky towels, or too much product coming off of my hair. I reuse mine all week with no issues. The products wash out fine. What detergent are you using that leaves residue behind? That would be a sure sign for me to switch up my detergent or buy a new washer. Also, I've heard of people lightly rubbing drier sheets on their hair to avoid static in the wintertime, so I can't imagine it would have too horrible of an effect on the hair. If you're worried, keep a towel separate just for your hair towel.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • typeo_girltypeo_girl Registered Users Posts: 3
    thanks everyone for all your advice and comments! :)
  • HtBlackHtBlack Registered Users Posts: 292
    I found that the less my hair sees towels, the happier it seems to be. After I'm done washing it I take the excess water out, then scrunch my hair upside-down with the hood of my microfiber bathrobe until it's not dripping wet, just wet.
    I scrunch in my leave-in, then gel, then argan oil, then diffuse upside-down and it's done. (: I don't even need to scrunch the crunch of the gel out because diffusing softens up the curls already.

If your towel feels dirty to you, wash it. Maybe use delicate detergents for your hair towels, and low temperature settings and so on if it makes you feel better, but you shouldn't have any film residue left on them!

OR, if it makes you feel even better, use an old t-shirt for when you need to scrunch the products in and keep the towels just for right after the shower to squeeze the water out when you haven't put any leave-in yet.
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I use my towel to just scrunch my ends before I put product in, so my hair isn't dripping-down-my-back and getting me soaking kind of wet. I don't tend to touch my hair once it has product in, so none of that gets on the towel.

Although I am experimenting with plopping now, but for that I just use an old t-shirt and will wash that after a couple of times.

If you're worried about harsh detergents and stuff wrecking your towel, you can always hand wash.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list