Full highlights ruined my hair..help.

MCoons91MCoons91 Posts: 70Registered Users
OK so back in April I got full, all over blonde highlights so I could grow out my natural blonde hair without the two toned look. I also haven't had a haircut since April and its October.
Anyway, since bleaching my hair all the work from the past 4 months of the cg method (before bleaching) was wiped out because my hair lost almost all of its wave on the top layer. My hair underneath curls now where my natural colors grown in but everywhere else is a limp frizzy barely there wave. My hair has felt like straw since bleaching. The ends are incredibly dry and have been breaking. My hair also gets pretty weighed down and oily now with the Shea moisture products I was using prior to bleaching. So I have gone back to a pantene sulfate shampoo with the Shea moisture raw Shea conditioner. I have tried protein. It worked ok once and then my hair decided it hates the protein treatment. I have tried the Shea moisture raw deep treatment numerous times and my hair almost feels a little worse after that. Also I've been having to vigorously comb huge knots out after my shower. Which was never an issue before bleaching. I'm not sure what to do with my hair other than get a few inches cut off. If any one has any product and treatment recommendations I could really use them!! I've heard olive oil can be a good one but want advice before trying. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
Mostly 2B with 2C elements and quite a few random 3A corkscrews in my underneath layer. Re-tested my hair porosity and it is now low. I have fairly dense, medium thick hair.

Use: Shea Moisture Raw shampoo and conditioner, co-wash w/ suave naturals coconut, aussie ausome volume mousse and Herbal essence totally twisted gel.

Comments

• frankie88frankie88 Posts: 106Registered Users
    I bleached my naturally dark hair platinum over the summer. It took about five bleachings to get it light enough. I found that deep conditioning every three days really helped my dryness. I take v05 and mix some olive and some coconut oil and leave it on for a few hours. My hair always feels brand new after using this treatment. About two months ago I dyed it back to brown and now just deep condition weekly. My hair really has no damage, a few split ends but nothing out of the ordinary. Oh and my last trim was probably about three months ago.
    2a/2b, Medium Porosity, Medium Density, Lower Back Length, Growing out highlights.
    Shampoo: SMMR Conditioner: SMMR or Organix Keratin Oil Leave In: Organix Shea Butter DC: Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba oil mixed all together with v05 conditioner.
    “Imperfection is beauty.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
  • MCoons91MCoons91 Posts: 70Registered Users
    Thanks! I actually tried olive oil, honey, mixed with my Shea moisture raw Shea conditioner today. I've got to say my hair hasn't been this shiny, healthy and soft in a loooong time! It helped my waves a bit too. I think I'll keep trying once or twice a week and see if it continues. Thanks for the advice.

Mostly 2B with 2C elements and quite a few random 3A corkscrews in my underneath layer. Re-tested my hair porosity and it is now low. I have fairly dense, medium thick hair.

Use: Shea Moisture Raw shampoo and conditioner, co-wash w/ suave naturals coconut, aussie ausome volume mousse and Herbal essence totally twisted gel.
  • wavydazewavydaze Curl Novice Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think you're overdosing on the shea. Shea butter is more of a sealer than a conditioner or moisturizer. Firstly you've gone back to sulfates but I don't think it's necessary. It's very likely that your hair wasn't liking the SM shampoo bc of the shea OD-ing. There are many low-poos available that are shea-free but still gentle. A drugstore one that I like is YTCucumbers (new sulfate-free formulation). Another one I'm testing and loving so far is Original Sprout Natural shampoo. The Giovanni poos aren't bad either. I know people also love the CJ low-poo... there are others, just to give you some options.

So I'd recommend getting a different conditioner. Look for fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants and emollients high on the list. Some hydrolised protein should be good for bleached hair. I'd recommend EO Keratin, Nature's Gate Herbal or Giovanni Smooth as Silk (these all have protein to various degrees). A simple one could be Cure Care or Suave Naturals Coconut (maybe try as a LI). Curl Junkie has a lot of well-loved conditioners that are low or no protein (CJ Strengthening for low protein, others non-protein). Look at She Scent It & Komaza Care conditioners as well. I'm sure there are drugstore ones as well but I'm not the best source on protein-free drugstore conditioners.

What kind of protein treatment did you do? Protein is good for bleached/porous/damaged hair. You'll have to have a balance though bw moisture & protein. IAgirl's gelatin PT is very good. CJ Repair me is touted as a PT and DT in one. SSI Okra reconstructor is a very nice, light PT, also multitasking can be used as an LI or RO. Another option is to buy a low or no-protein conditioner and also buy Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's). Then you can mix it in your RO as you wish until you've achieved a balance. DTs to restore moisture is a good idea, think about taking a simple conditioner and adding coconut oil and honey.

Hope this helps.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    Definitely can attest to the protein treatment. My curls were looking a little limp the other day and I had my hair bleached to go blonde back in April. So I decided to mix up my own at home. Used some mayo, an egg, honey, olive oil, and a couple shots of Shea Moisture Shea Butter Conditioner and sat under a plastic cap for an hour and a half. Washed it out, cowashed and now my curls are all lively and lush and happy looking.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • LISA LISALISA LISA Posts: 566Registered Users
    I've recently bleached my tailbone length, dyed- black hair blonde. 6 full bleaching treatments in 30 days! My hair was in *perfect* condition before I did this, but now the texture has changed and I have a whole new learning curve to deal with. Here are some things I've figured out so far:

It is very easy for bleached hair to become overconditioned and get "Hygral Fatigue". This is the stretchy mushy feeling when wet. I've found that NOT leaving conditioner on too long in the shower helps. I just CO, rinse & keep rinsing.

It is also easy to over protein and get brittle breakage. It is essential to learn the proper balance between moisture & protein for your bleached hair. I use a heavy protein product only twice a week.

Detangling fragile bleached hair takes practice, patience & technique. My Tailbone hair needs a few steps: Before shower, I detangle with my Tangle Teezer to remove the shed hair & tangles. After the shower I do not flip my hair over & wrap in a towel - I keep it straight down my back when I wrap in a towel. Then I gently detangle with a wide tooth comb as much as I dare. Then rake & scrunch in products & thats it.

I also find that a quick ACV rinse (1 part ACV, 2 parts water) once every 2 weeks (usually after my root touch up) will close the cuticle on my hair and it will behave awesomely.

I sleep in a satin bonnet and air dry every day. Hope some of this is useful for you & good luck!
    Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
    Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75884&dateline=1412004981
    Yes I do agree that the Shea is just not working for my hair right now. It worked great for months before highlights. Tomorrow I am getting a hair cut and I think that will help a lot. My hair is half way down my back so a good few inches cut off will definitely help.
    I haven't done the olive oil treatment any more but the one time I did helped a lot. After the hair cut I will try the GVC protein treatment one more time (what I've been using). However my hair has never really liked protein.
    I do plan on switching my products out. About a month ago I did use the yes to carrots lo-poo and the leave-in along with Tresemme naturals conditioner. I did not like those products. So now I'm going to give Giovanni a try since I've never used that line. I'll update again soon on how the new products are working out.
    I know using a sulfate shampoo is making the issue worse but nothing CG that I had was working either and money has been kind of tight. So I'll get my hair cut tomorrow and start back on the CG method this weekend.
    Thanks ya'll for all the advice! It does help.

• Firefox7275Firefox7275 Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Any fried hair - split, breaking - needs to be cut off. You hair is now much more porous, less elastic, generally weakened with damage to the protective cuticle that needs patch repairing.

Proven beneficial ingredients for bleach damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Follow protein with a deep conditioner if it feels dry or rough.

Try conditioner only washing and avoid all ingredients that easily build up like shea butter or waxes like cetyl esters. As Wavydaze says focus on the major emollients/ conditioning agents, the cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols. Consider the pH of your products, damaged hair needs a lower pH for the cuticle to lay flat (isoelectric point).

Hygral fatigue (cumulative water damage) is an issue but that has nothing to do with bleached hair feeling mushy or with over conditioning. Best way to reduce hygral fatigue is to limit water exposure, do regular coconut oil soaks on dry hair to reduce porosity, avoid harsh surfactants like the sulphates, olefin sulfonates, alkaline soaps.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • GlamourCurlsGlamourCurls Posts: 194Registered Users
    Been there...done that, it's horrid. Lost all my spiral curls. I was in tears. I ended up coloring it over with brown dye and nursing it back to health
    Fine 3B/C curls.
    Currently growing out damage caused by straightening and coloring.
    Well just so everyone knows a couple inches off my ends, a protein treatment at the salon and switching to the Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo and conditioner did wonders for my hair. Its much wavier, less frizzy and shinier. Thanks for all the advice. Oh and I bought TIGI catwalk curl amplifier and love it. I also realized it was the first curly haired product I ever tried. I just didn't recognize it until I saw it next to the older bottle in target. I love this product too =) hopefully my hair will continue to get healthier and not in worse shape.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file