Strapless wedding dresses

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
For so long it seemed everyone went strapless. I'm not even sure if it's still the really current look but would like to know what the case is. No offense to anyone who had a strapless one (I've seen many I'd consider gorgeous) but it got really bland after a while to see bride after bride in that style.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    I'm a wedding planner and if I recall correctly, we only had two brides last year who didn't go strapless. My own gown was strapless as well. The neckline is flattering on a lot of body types, so that's probably why it's so popular. It also gives you more options for jewelry.
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    bushyhead wrote:
    The neckline is flattering on a lot of body types, so that's probably why it's so popular. It also gives you more options for jewelry.

Ah, I didn't think about that.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Guilty... but mine wasn't boring b/c it had colored embroidery on it. It rocked- I'm not gonna lie! :D
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    People get what they like. I don't think the entertainment level of a single guest is really going to factor in. I know I wasn't thinking, "I really like this neckline, but has Aunt Martha already seen too many?" :wink:

For the record, I didn't go strapless, nor do I have an Aunt Martha.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    shelli wrote:
    Guilty... but mine wasn't boring b/c it had colored embroidery on it. It rocked- I'm not gonna lie! :D

you're dress was really cool.. if i was going to go strapless i would have wanted one like yours.. it was unique! :)

however, for myself i insisted i have straps.. it was crazy looking for one that had straps like i wanted, not spaghetti straps but more of a caplet.. i found it!

but yeah it's still mainly strapless out there..
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
    shelli wrote:

Heh, when I typed out how some are gorgeous yours was one of the ones I was thinking about. I remember it :wink:

CGNYC wrote:
    People get what they like. I don't think the entertainment level of a single guest is really going to factor in. I know I wasn't thinking, "I really like this neckline, but has Aunt Martha already seen too many?" :wink:

For the record, I didn't go strapless, nor do I have an Aunt Martha.

Wouldn't expect it to.

Aww guys! Y'all really remember my wedding dress?!?! I must have a sucky memory b/c I can barely remember what my best friend's wedding dresses looked like!!! :oops: I suck! :oops:

shelli wrote:
    Aww guys! Y'all really remember my wedding dress?!?! I must have a sucky memory b/c I can barely remember what my best friend's wedding dresses looked like!!! :oops: I suck! :oops:

The color embroidery made it unique looking and those colors went really well with your hair, it made for this pretty cheerful look.

I was browsing wedding dresses for the heck of it (not getting married) and found a dress I actually like a lot...it happens to be strapless :lol:

dress

What brought wedding dresses to mind was watching the last episode of The OC on youtube and I love the dress Rachel Bilson's character wore in the wedding. Not much of it can be seen here but it gives an idea.

reallyprettydressvc1.png

Oooh- LOVE the top!!

• mazeymazey Posts: 709Registered Users
    How many weddings do you people go to a year? Even in the most active year I only had three weddings, certainly not enough for me to determine what was trendy or not. Hmmm, all of those heffas did wear white. When is that trend going to go away?

:lol:
    Madonna getting upset with her daughter for dressing too slutty is like Mr. T getting upset with his son for pitying too many fools.
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    Ugh, I find the strapless a-line dresses soooooo boring. It's so been done. Same with the colored sashes. But I think they're pretty much totally out now....which means they'll still be around for a few more years, the way all trends stick around for awhile once they're "out"! I haven't been paying too much attention lately, but I think the new wedding dress trends are going closer to what Rachel Bilson wore in the OC: more satin, less volume in the skirt, layers of fabric, white's that aren't blindingly white, and wider "straps" (halter or otherwise).

I've been going to a few weddings a year, and I also watch a fair amount of wedding stuff on TV (like Bridezillas, etc.). And I LOVE fashion, so I jsut generally follow what the trends are.

Note: I have no intention of offending anyone....and honestly, I hope what some random person says on a message board about wedding dresses wouldn't offend anyone anyway!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I didn't want a strapless originally, but it was the most flattering neckline for me. I have broad shoulders so it was basically strapless or halter for me, and there just weren't any halters around that I liked.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    mazey wrote:
    How many weddings do you people go to a year? Even in the most active year I only had three weddings, certainly not enough for me to determine what was trendy or not. Hmmm, all of those heffas did wear white. When is that trend going to go away?

:lol:

I go to LOTS of weddings! But I don't care about how many people are wearing strapless or whatever.

My gown was strapless, but not A-line - a strapless satin ball gown with a cinched in corset/bodice and then a SLIGHTLY pouffy mermaid-type skirt with ruching in the back. It was a silhouette you didn't see much at that time at least. And like Shelli it had some colour - it had pink and cream. I didn't want to do plain white.

The shape of the dress suited my figure because I have an hour glass type shape and the strapless, cinched bodice emphasized where I have curves and where I am small. My shoulders are very tiny and so is my back compared to my breasts and rib cage, so a lot of other styles needed a lot of alterations whereas the strapless style bypassed the whole shoulder issue, and the corset ties up the back allowed me to tighten it as necessary up the back.

And I didn't go strapless in the church, as that is not allowed - I had a long mantilla style veil covering me the whole time.

The only time I really don't like to see a strapless gown is on a larger women with untoned/flabby arms because it really emphasizes that, or on flat women. I think to wear strapless you need nice, toned arms and a beautiful decolletage. I also don't like strapless A-line because it tends to widen a lot of people. But of course, people should wear what they love on their big day!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    I originally didn't want strapless just becuase it seemed like that's what everyone was doing, but it was really hard to find a dress that wasn't strapless.

Maybe if the trend is changing there will be more out there to choose from, but it really is a flattering style on most people so I can see alot of people not even caring about what's 'in' and going with what looks good on them.

I did end up with a strapless dress, but I loved it, so in the end it all worked out.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know why but I just don't like strapless tops in general, especially with dresses. They do look good to me sometimes(dress and body) but I've always liked some kind of straps(usually thin, not halter). It just looks more complete and feminine/dressy to me.
    Josephine wrote:
    I don't know why but I just don't like strapless tops in general, especially with dresses. They do look good to me sometimes(dress and body) but I've always liked some kind of straps(usually thin, not halter). It just looks more complete and feminine/dressy to me.

I love spaghetti straps, but I ALWAYS have to cut and sew them on me and it gets annoying. I also like the front halter straps, but again, same issue. My favourite recital gown has those little off the shoulder straps shaped like flowers and a scooped neckline and it is the most gorgeous, feminine thing I own, but it took a LOT of fittings to get it to look right.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I agree - I see an abundance of strapless gowns. But I'm having mine made and it will not be strapless. Besides, I anticipate having too much backfat post-baby to make a strapless look remotely good.

I'm also a bit on the conservative side and prefer not to have bare shoulders in a church.
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    I agree - I see an abundance of strapless gowns. But I'm having mine made and it will not be strapless. Besides, I anticipate having too much backfat post-baby to make a strapless look remotely good.
    I'm also a bit on the conservative side and prefer not to have bare shoulders in a church.

lmfao :lol:
    Now I think of it, what I have seen the most in the past couple of years are white (not cream or ivory) A-line satin gowns with spaghetti straps, silver beading on the front, short train, sometimes a slit down the front of the skirt or sometimes that Grecian wrapping style up the front. I haven't seen that many strapless gowns, though I have seen some.

.png

534Pm5.png

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:
    My favourite recital gown has those little off the shoulder straps shaped like flowers and a scooped neckline and it is the most gorgeous, feminine thing I own, but it took a LOT of fittings to get it to look right.

I love that look. Unfortunately, with my build, those make my look like a linebacker.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • MissJMissJ Posts: 196Registered Users
    As far as I'm concerned, it's the bride's day, so she can wear whatever makes her happy. Personally, I love the look of a strapless wedding dress. To each her own.
    3c
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    I love the strapless look, but I am too top heavy to carry it off comfortably :cry:
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote:

My favourite recital gown has those little off the shoulder straps shaped like flowers and a scooped neckline and it is the most gorgeous, feminine thing I own, but it took a LOT of fittings to get it to look right.

OH, that sounds really nice, feminine and flowery. I used to have some shirts like that but I kind of slouch and don't wear them well..also need to lose the tummy.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't know that wedding dresses had particular styles that were trendy at a given time. My dress was strapless. I chose it because that style looked best on me. I really wanted halter but halter looked hideous on me. Someone upthread said that strapless seems to be flattering for most people. I would guess that accounts for the popularity.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote:
    I didn't know that wedding dresses had particular styles that were trendy at a given time.

I'm sure if you thought about it you would....

205front.jpg
    203front.jpg
    139front.jpg
    209front.jpg
    146front.jpg
    billblasswhiteballgownsm.jpg
    DC5700.jpg
    DC5455.jpg

I think all these dresses were totally 'in" at one time or another.

This website is also pretty cool: http://www.fancyephemera.com/bridepage.html
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • bushyheadbushyhead Posts: 1,676Registered Users
    This one's always good for a laugh:

http://www.uglydress.com/ugweddec.html
    tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    WhoMe? I get that those dresses were fashionable at one time but I really did not know that a particular neckline could be termed trendy in regards to wedding dresses or really any other type of dress. I never sat around with my friends and thought "Well, I will nevah wear a sweetheart neckline because that is so last year." Maybe I am not fashion forward enough.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Oh, yeah. Just think of the pouffy sleeves back in the 80s.
    DarkAngel wrote:
    WhoMe? I get that those dresses were fashionable at one time but I really did not know that a particular neckline could be termed trendy in regards to wedding dresses or really any other type of dress. I never sat around with my friends and thought "Well, I will nevah wear a sweetheart neckline because that is so last year." Maybe I am not fashion forward enough.

I would say that isn't being fashion forward, but being what is called a "fashion slave." I love fashion - I read a zillion magazines, watch fashion TV, have a ton of clothes, etc. etc. but fashion to me is about getting ideas so you can indulge your own creativity in adapting things to your own body and lifestyle. It's juvenile to me to treat fashion as "this was in last year so I CAN'T wear it, and this is in this year so I HAVE to wear it." To me, that shows insecurity. A really fashionable person knows what looks good on them and how to wear it and wears it confidently with their own little twist.

There is so much variety in a neckline. One strapless dress can look completely different from another and be accented totally differently. Focussing on "that neckline is so last year" is not seeing the forest for the trees.

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file