What do you love about your Curly Hair?

Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
Well, Ladies...

What do you love about your curly hair now that you have gone natural?

- I love that I don't put heat on my hair anymore, [no flat irons or curling irons]. I used to burn my ears all the time and once I burned the side of my face...smh! I never could become an expert, [my mom set our hair on rollers when we were young]...so glad I don't have to go through that anymore.

- I can walk in the rain and not worry about messing up my hair.

- It doesn't take long to do my hair anymore.

- My hair is so healthy and soft.

- My hair feels so "luscious" and looks so beautiful.

- I feel so sexy with my curly hair...especially as it gets longer.

I will add some more later. :angel7:
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
Hydration - SM CH
Curl & Style Milk
LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Comments

• sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I love that I don't have to straighten my hair everyday, especially on rainy days.

I love the volume I have. I've always hated my dense hair.

I love that my hair is the healthiest it's ever been, and is finally shiny for the first time in my life.

ETA: I also love that I don't have to worry how my hair looks when it dries after being at the pool/beach!!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Registered Users Posts: 317
    I love how soft my hair feels. I'm constantly touching it and it doesn't frizz up because of it.
  • NeirelleNeirelle Registered Users Posts: 126
    I love how my hair smells good and i dont have to worry about it smelling burnt

I also love that a lot more people compliment my curly hair than straighten hair

I dnt have to worry about the frizz because its normal for curly hair to have one

I dont have to brush my hair

And a lot moree

I honestly use to think curly hair is a curse but its actually a blessing it makes me feel more myself and unique
  • bobbybobby Registered Users Posts: 785 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, Ladies...

What do you love about your curly hair now that you have gone natural?

Well, as a guy I guess I have to throw a monkey wrench into this post. Sorry, Lady Creole. Could resist. All kidding aside:

--I love that I finally came around to accepting that I have curly hair. That was no small accomplishment.

--I love that my curls have a lot more moisture after become a co-washer.

--I rarely have to brush my hair. I only use a pic.

--I used to think curly hair was a curse, I actually see it as a blessing.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    Yep, as Bobby likes to say, "Curls aren't just for girls" (they're for boys too ... and women and men).

Anyway, some of the things I love about my curly hair:

I love my curl pattern/s. Not talking about curl "type" here. Talking more to the actual shape of my curls. They're an interesting combo of ringlets, spirals and waves. Hard to imagine I ever used to choose straightening over this natural look. Not that there's anything wrong w/straight hair, I just love what I have.

I love how easy it is to manage and it's super-simple to comb through or just finger comb. It does what it does and all I have to do is step to the side and watch. OK, I need to buy proper products and give it a little TLC but that's about it.

I love how shiny my hair is, but I also love it when it isn't so shiny in places and I think it's off-n-on frizz gives it character. I love that it's a mane more than a head of hair. It's more dramatic because of its unusual fullness and the sheer amount of it. I love that my 2nd, 3rd and 4th day hair look even better than my 1st.

I feel like I won the hair lottery :love5:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I love that it attracts attention, makes me stand out in a crowd.
    I love that it's wild and crazy and never the same.
    I love that I never worry about rain or humidity or going swimming or going to the gym.
    I love that it makes me 'me'.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • okyouwinokyouwin Registered Users Posts: 157
    I loved the surprised responses from everyone when I finally let my curls out including my surprised mom! I love how my SIL Still doesn't accept that my curls are natural and asks me how I curl my hair to get it like this!:happy3:
    I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
    fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
    Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
    Microfiber towel/diffuse
    Trying KKCC
    I love that on day three hair, my CG hair is less frizzy than day one pre-CG hair
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
    I love that I don't need anymore:

-combs
    -brushes
    -shampoos
    -flat irons
    -curling irons
    -roller
    -perms
    -expensive hair stylist appts. [time and money].

And most of all...

When I get married [again] my husband doesn't have to deal with all that stuff either. He can just touch my hair all night long...LOL! [I will still sleep on a satin pillow case, though...] :angel10:
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    What I love about my curly hair is what I don't need:
    Combs
    Flat irons
    Blow dryers
    I love that I can go out in the rain & not worry about my hair. I'm the wash & go queen so styling is a breeze. Just finger styling. How doesn't love that? People compliment me more now that my hair is curly than when I was straight. My mom still doesn't like my hair but granny loves it. Big accomplishment. I'm really more liberated now that I'm a cg.
    I love that I got a compliment on day four hair, and it's the first time since going CG in January that I got day four hair!

I love that day four hair still looks better than day one pre-CG hair
    --I love it that I have hair that others would pay to get, translation = no need for perms.

--I love it that it makes me stand out.

--I love it that it is actually much easier to take care of than styling.

--I have saved money on shampoo, co-wash and go is my way.

• PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Registered Users Posts: 428
    -I love that my curls are unique, shiny, and bouncy
    -I love my curls so much that I plan and never changing their texture again wights brushes, straighteners, curling irons, highlights, and dye
    -I love the compliments I get on them
    -I love experimenting with different products
    -Seeing my hair look different every day is fun
    -I love taking care of them and seeing them get curlier
    -I love that they can be really curly, curly, or wavy/curly! They are so versatile
    -I love everything about my hair except when I get major frizz...but I have learned to except it and still like it when it's minimal!
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
    --I love it because with longer, curly hair (especially the 'fro kind), I can wear my pick. If I had long straight, hair -- no dice.

--My hair can look beautiful without shampoo.

--I feel much freer in giving compliments to women about their hair.

• Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    I love not having the restrictions and worries I do when I straighten my hair.
    I love being able to get into the shower and not care if my hair get's wet.
    Or going outside in the rain and not worrying if I look like a mad woman when I come inside.
    How I don't constantly have to comb it every few seconds because the slightest movements tangles my straight hair.
    I love my shrinkage, how my hair can curl up to my ears and be past my shoulders, and if I want it to appear somewhere in between i can.
    I love how can make it sleek with uniformed curls if i wish, or big with tons of volume.
    Lastly i love how i don't have to define my curls because regardless if I use product or not. If i towel dry my hair or not, my little springs will always be there.
    Oh and it keeps me entertained when I get bored.
    (Lol i wish there was a thread named "all the reason my curls annoy the heck out of me" because I have an equally long list.)
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I don't have to straighten my hair constantly - so being curly saves me time and effort lol.

My hair looks and feels so much shinier and softer. I love my hair looking and feeling healthy and not dry and undernourished.

My hair is actually GROWING (and quite fast), rather than breaking.

I don't need to worry about the tiniest drop of water giving me random kinks or turning me into an unrecognisable poof-ball.

I feel like I'm now have more pride in my appearance because I look how I want to, not how everyone else does or how people expect me to.

Curly hair suits my personality a lot more and makes me stand out!

I get good volume (no more stuck-to-my-head-straightness).

I don't have to worry about heat-protective products (I used to spend hours looking for the best one).

No more spending half an hour in the shower ripping my hair to shreds, trying to get a comb through it!

I love that every day is different and I get to experiment with my hair.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • jessicacourtneyjessicacourtney Registered Users Posts: 18
    I love the fact that I'm one of 10 natural curlies in my high school. Also when other girls come up to me and ask how I got my hair like that and tell them it's natural, I love their reactions😂 also it's a plus not have to buy straightners/brushes/flat iron spray and weakening up and having a give minute hair routine
  • girlcurlvengedgirlcurlvenged Registered Users Posts: 6
    I like that I don't have to use any kind of heat, I've not been a fan of that since somebody burnt my one ear. I hate blow dryers, and very few stylist appointments (basically just a trim), my hair is soft and doesn't break it's also shiny.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    I love how my hair is crazy. I just love the monster that it is. It sucks up product lol and everything I give it for that matter. If there is anything I've learned especially when it was longer it was that you simply couldn't fight the beast. And now I'm in love with the beast. He's just a little small monster right now but when I decide to grow him out again he'll be his same old self lol.

I also loved the looks on people's faces in highschool and of course the haters.

It is so much more me above all. It sounds silly but my straightened hair really didn't help my quiet personality... and my hair sorta speaks for me. It gives an impression for me and it kind of compliments the rest of me if that makes sense.

I love the curly hair vibe and if my hair was curlier or kinkier I'd love it even more!
    My biggest fear is losing it now. And that is something I thought I'd never say if you had asked me a couple years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    I like how you call your hair "he" lol :) I jokingly named my hair the other day. Her name is Ariel Zemira, or maybe I'll just call her "Boomsheika" :D

Have you named him yet? :toothy10:
    As a guy, I love been one of very few that willingly wears it curly -- and with a few accessories from time-to-time. ;)

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    I love that I can do almost any style with my hair (it has enough bounce and volume to pull of bigger styles but can be tamed and straightened as well).

I love that my hair has natural character.

I love that my hair is thick and looks great with accessories.

I love that my hair is unique and each curl is individual.

I love that even on my worst hair days, others still feel like it is gorgeous.

Lastly, I love that I love my hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    I love that I can do almost any style with my hair (it has enough bounce and volume to pull of bigger styles but can be tamed and straightened as well).

I love that my hair has natural character.

I love that my hair is thick and looks great with accessories.

I love that my hair is unique and each curl is individual.

I love that even on my worst hair days, others still feel like it is gorgeous.

Lastly, I love that I love my hair!

Good points across the board. I especially love your last statement: "I love that I love my hair!"

Who's got it better than us? Nobody!

• lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    I love that it teaches me things about it's properties/likes/dislikes all the time.

I had to cut my mop b/c of my trying to "tame" it in ways that well, it just didn't like. (@bringingcurliesback?, you make me want to name my hair, btw. I do love your posting voice- I'd definitely follow any blog you ever wrote.) Anywho, I tried conditioner only styling yesterday and so far love it. I'm thinking why didn't I think of this before, but then I thought I've only recently truly accepted that I have lo-po hair and may need less product than what I use. (More new teaching, compliments of my hair)

Even on my most defined curl days, I love how relatively full my fine hair looks and how much curl it has. Trying to get curls all over that stay all day, or full looking hair on my relaxed hair was impossible, even with high hold hairspray.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • JulesonlineJulesonline Registered Users Posts: 444
    I love the "wildness"
    I love that it seems to fit my personality ;)
    I love the semi-controlled entropy!
    JulesOnline
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3A/B? A corkicelli mix of ringlets, spirals, helixes & s-shaped curls
    Medium-fine texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Summer: pink; Winter: Blue; Year Round: green
    Lo-Poo:Giovanni SAS sulfate free poo, L'Oreal Evercream CC
    Co-wash: TNRV, VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, TNNM
    RO/LI:
    YTC, Nexxus Hydra-light w/ CNPF GVPCB, Biolage CB, TNNM, Giovanni SAS
    Styler: KCCC FSG, BRHG, LALSG

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    I really need to get into the hang of subscribing to threads!!

Anyways, @lori.mattox Thanks! And really?? I have a "posting voice"? OOOOH:happy2:I need to start a blog and many have told me a youtube... I'm just quite torn and I just would not know where to start. I mean I do not know how all that stuff works and being indian I kind of wanted to make like a funny youtube. But then I don't wear much makeup anymore so I couldn't be a beauty guru either.. SHRUG:confused5:
    Maybe the conditioner styling is awesome because your so highly porous that it allows you to add moisture and then seal. Have you tried remoisturizing and then resealing? Some highly porous curlies do well with that (cough cough:happy3:) I will have to experiment with that but with my hair short too now I like definition more. And conditioner only can leave me fuzzy. I loved it for long, beachy, summer flowy, mermaidy hair though.

@Korkscrew Okay this sounds so silly but whenever I see you post on a thread I kind of smile to myself and follow along. I'm like "Korkscrew has spoken." *skips on over lol

And to answer your question I ended up calling him he because I referred to it as "THE BEAST". But now it seems he was destined to be a guy. I was actually thinking about naming him but it has not come to me yet...

He is crazy, but somehow content lately. It needs to be an appropriate name somehow. I don't want to name him for the sake of naming lol
    How did you come up with Ariel Zemira? I like it but your hair does look like a Boomsheika if I do say so myself. :pr:
    *Current Routine*

:toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Registered Users Posts: 210
    Anyways, @lori.mattox Thanks! And really?? I have a "posting voice"? OOOOH:happy2:I need to start a blog and many have told me a youtube... I'm just quite torn and I just would not know where to start. I mean I do not know how all that stuff works and being indian I kind of wanted to make like a funny youtube. But then I don't wear much makeup anymore so I couldn't be a beauty guru either.. SHRUG:confused5:
    Well maybe it's just the voice I've assigned you as I read posts of yours? As I've started seeing and recognizing names on the forums I've noticed that I give a "voice" to frequent posters. That being said- I totally get what you say about @Korkscrew's posts!
    Maybe the conditioner styling is awesome because your so highly porous that it allows you to add moisture and then seal. Have you tried remoisturizing and then resealing? Some highly porous curlies do well with that (cough cough:happy3:) I will have to experiment with that but with my hair short too now I like definition more. And conditioner only can leave me fuzzy. I loved it for long, beachy, summer flowy, mermaidy hair though.
    I re-moisturize with a mix of conditioner, water, aloe vera juice, and oil. With trying the conditioner only, I didn't use a sealer at all- wanted to start at the conditioning step and proceed one step in the styling process at a time to try to confirm or deny my thoughts that I'm low porous. Usually, I do the LCO method, and my hair is oily to the touch when it dries and then get's super dry feeling and tangly as the oils wear off. One day I'll get it all together, I'm enjoying the ride so it doesn't matter much. =)
    @Korkscrew Okay this sounds so silly but whenever I see you post on a thread I kind of smile to myself and follow along. I'm like "Korkscrew has spoken." *skips on over lol And to answer your question I ended up calling him he because I referred to it as "THE BEAST". But now it seems he was destined to be a guy. I was actually thinking about naming him but it has not come to me yet...He is crazy, but somehow content lately. It needs to be an appropriate name somehow. I don't want to name him for the sake of naming lol. How did you come up with Ariel Zemira? I like it but your hair does look like a Boomsheika if I do say so myself. :pr:
    I'd say "THE BEAST" is definitely a name- I mean look at Beauty and the Beast (s.n. did they ever say his real name?). I know this is not official voting or anything but I can definitely see your hair being a Boomsheika, @Korkscrew.
    Julesonline I love the "wildness" I love that it seems to fit my personality I love the semi-controlled entropy!
    @Julesonline- my inner nerd is loving your use entropy as a descriptor for your hair.
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice

@Korkscrew Okay this sounds so silly but whenever I see you post on a thread I kind of smile to myself and follow along. I'm like "Korkscrew has spoken." *skips on over lol

And to answer your question I ended up calling him he because I referred to it as "THE BEAST". But now it seems he was destined to be a guy. I was actually thinking about naming him but it has not come to me yet...

He is crazy, but somehow content lately. It needs to be an appropriate name somehow. I don't want to name him for the sake of naming lol
    How did you come up with Ariel Zemira? I like it but your hair does look like a Boomsheika if I do say so myself. :pr:

Sweet! Yeah, I love coming here and hearing others' "voices" as well, including yours. People here very often have a thoughtful, stylized ways of "speaking" and it really is entertaining :D

Well, hey, you've determined his gender. It's a start. (I think mine is edging on unisex, but a bit more female.) I like "Beast" because it sounds like an acknowledgement of the wonderful, unpredictable nature of curly hair :) I bet that if you rename him it will be at a time when the name comes to you, rather than you having to think too much about it. On the other hand, I tend to overthink things, so ...

Ariel means "lion of God" in Hebrew. I like "lion" because she really is more of a mane than a typical head of hair because she is so dense. It's traditionally a boy's name, but has been more recently used for girls as well. Also, I like "Ari" for short because it reminds me of Miri Ben Ari - a terrific Israeli hip hop violinist with terrific curly hair (Ben Ari is a surname that literally means "son of Ari"). I added Zamira (Hebrew) mostly because I like how it sounds. It has several meanings, most often: "conscientious", or "song bird". I'm greedy and wanted her to have a full name. I suppose Boomsheika is her middle name then ;) Boomsheika is a miscellaneous name I overheard someone jokingly call someone else eons ago. It has oomph.

I'd say "THE BEAST" is definitely a name- I mean look at Beauty and the Beast (s.n. did they ever say his real name?). I know this is not official voting or anything but I can definitely see your hair being a Boomsheika, @Korkscrew.

Lori LOL ... I'll keep that in mind :D Inquiring minds want to know: does your hair have a name, and if not, why not, and if it did have a name, what ohhh what would it be? :blob7:
    @Korkscrew I think his name came to me yesterday. Something with beast... I was thinking Ben lol but I dunno. Beast for now.
    I love those names. If I ever have kids I want to name them names from different cultures. I don't really like indian names. My siblings and I don't have really traditional indian names. I'm Raveena for example.

Anyway I am glad you like my voice ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*