Can't handle the frizz and poof

anonymous_102187anonymous_102187 Posts: 30Registered Users
I've recently tried to use more natural products and stay away from gels, mousse and hair spray. However I'm not satisfied with the end product. I think im a 3b and I'm use to the crunchy wet look. Any suggestions on products I could use to help tame my hair but that is healthy? I'm also looking for suggestions for any regimes. I currently have to wet my hair everyday in order to get my desired look/style. Here is a picture of what my hair looks like today, I had streaks put in about a year ago that I've just been letting grow out and I'm not too excited about my layers. I'm wondering if maybe I need to cut it but im scared that I won't like it.

y9u4ejub.jpg
3b
Porosity: normal (i think)
Density: high
Width: medium
Length: long

Fav Products
AIA Cowash
AIA CCS
AIA LI
SMECS
SMCS
KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• anonymous_102187anonymous_102187 Posts: 30Registered Users
    I guess I should've mentioned what I use in my hair. I typically shampoo once a week (still in search of a good shampoo). The rest of the week I wet it in the shower and put in conditioner. To style I've been using Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I've wanted to try the gel soufflé.
    3b

Fav Products
    AIA Cowash
    AIA CCS
    AIA LI
    SMECS
    SMCS
    KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curl enhancing smoothie is a styler not a true conditioner. Shea butter can build up and cause frizz or weigh hair down, if you are not shampooing regularly you would be best sticking to mostly water soluble ingredients
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I agree with Firefox about potential build up. There is a type of natural gel that agrees w/a lot of folks who don't typically like commercial gel and it's called flax seed gel, or FSG. Some use it with some BRHG on top. BRHG isn't natural, but as ingredients go, it's a lot less problematic as part of a cone-free routine than a lot of other commercial gels IMO.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Curly Hair Basics | Live Curly Live Free Once you determine your properties, you can look for others with similar hair and see what they use. It's a good place to start.

You have beautiful hair, but it looks really dry. Could be the cause of the frizz and poof. You need to add more moisture into your regime (and possibly protein.) My fine/low porosity hair doesn't care for the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line. Products just sit on my hair and have to be washed out.

My hair prefers the more natural products. I stay away from a lot of chemicals, especially polyquats. For me, they coat the hair and need a sulfate shampoo to get rid of them. Some shampoos have polyquat 7--it causes problems for me. I use a leave in AND/OR curl enhancer (depending on the dewpoint) always followed by a jelly product (gelatinous consistency without the chemicals.)

Last of all, I do think you could use a good cut. Your hair needs to be shaped and have appropriate layering.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    I would suggest using a deep conditioner once a week to help with moisturize & frizz. I love the Dermorganic Masque. Also, a good leave in is vital for me when it comes to moisture & taming frizz. I love As I Am Leave in & Kinky Curly Knot Today. The Shea Moisture products were too heavy for my hair and dried my hair out. My current favorite styling product is the Kinky Curly Curling Custard. It doesn't weigh my hair down, dry it out, or make it crunchy (you have to experiment to find out what amount is right for you). It leaves my curls bouncy and defined. I also make sure my hair is pretty damp when I apply my leave in and styling product. I think if you deep condition & use a good leave in you'll see a big difference.
    I just bought the AIA LI and I love it. I've also started co washing and I've used the AIA CCS once (I'll probably use it as needed). I haven't found a good DC (I've tried mixed chicks DC but I'm not sure it makes much of a difference in my hair). I've wanted to do a PT but there are so many, I didn't know which one to buy.
    3b

Fav Products
    AIA Cowash
    AIA CCS
    AIA LI
    SMECS
    SMCS
    KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Two PTs tend to rise to the top: Aphogee and Joico K-pak. Either or those are excellent.
    Korkscrew wrote: »
    Two PTs tend to rise to the top: Aphogee and Joico K-pak. Either or those are excellent.

Thanks! Does Sally's carry them?
    3b

Fav Products
    AIA Cowash
    AIA CCS
    AIA LI
    SMECS
    SMCS
    KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Not sure but many reasonably sized beauty supply stores sell the Joico line.
  • Tive76Tive76 Posts: 17Registered Users
    You can find the generic brand of k-Pac at Sally 's it's the generic value products brand,same as Joico but much cheaper.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    2/C -3A I think ???
    No clue what type of hair I have. Waiting on hair analysis results.

Low-poo : Giovanni TTTT
    Co-wash : Vo5 Herbal Escapes
    RO : GVP Conditioning Balm , Vo5 Herbal Escapes
    Leave in : Vo5 Herbal Escapes
    Styler : SM Curling Gel Souffle, Aquage Defining Gel (not CG)
    PT : GVP K-Pak
    DT : GVP Conditioning Balm

New to all this, trying to find the best products for me. Soo confusing, soo many products and soo little time :tweety:
    Tive, thanks for bringing this up. I never knew about this, so you may have just helped 2 people :)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    K-Pak contains mineral oil. So, if that's a problem for you (it is for me), you want to do something else. You can buy Colorful Products - Colorful Neutral Protein Filler 1.2 oz. and add it to a really moisturizing conditioner for a PT that may not need to be followed by a DT.

IMHO, CJ Repair Me is the best PT (but it's not available on the ground most places.) The SS Protein Repair is also great.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Good point, but I will say this: I'm generally sensitive to high mineral oil content but K-pak has always worked just fine for me.
  • SortaRicanSortaRican Posts: 310Registered Users
    Tive76 wrote: »
    You can find the generic brand of k-Pac at Sally 's it's the generic value products brand,same as Joico but much cheaper.

Thanks for the information! I found it at Sally's, I asked the lady for help but she looked more confused than I did and I ended up finding it myself.
    Good point, but I will say this: I'm generally sensitive to high mineral oil content but K-pak has always worked just fine for me.

I love the way it made my hair feel afterwards! I'm wondering how often I can use it. I've only tried it once and that was after I used AIA clarifying shampoo. I need to find a good low-poo to maybe use it more often with.

I also bought the Aphogee but I haven't used it yet. The package looks familiar so I'm thinking I've used it before maybe a couple of years ago.
    3b/3c
    Fine, Long, High Density, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Products
    CoWash: YTC Nourishing Conditioner/AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI: GDLI
    Styler: KCCC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have normal porosity hair, I use the k-Pac once in a while when I feel that my curls need a little boost.

2/C -3A I think ???

New to all this, trying to find the best products for me. Soo confusing, soo many products and soo little time :tweety:
    SortaRican, honestly I think how often you can use it depends on how your hair responds. Along the lines of what Tive just said: I only use it maybe twice a year or so (whenever my hair feels very over-conditioned and I need a serious protein boost). It's a heavy shot of protein so I try not to use it too often. But I do leave it on my hair past the recommended 5 minutes or so - usually for about 15-30 minutes.
    I have normal porosity hair, I use the k-Pac once in a while when I feel that my curls need a little boost.

I feel like my curls ALWAYS need a boost. Esepcially lately...I have a cloud of frizz hovering over my head and I have no idea what is causing it! :confused2:
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    First, I'd check to see if it's more than just a "frizz halo" - I'd see if the frizz stands out as much in other places too, but you just happen to have focused more on the halo. If the frizz really is mostly just a prominent halo, you may have hair breakage due to some sort of tension. If not, that may just be the way your hair is, or the way it is in humid conditions (if that applies).

The breakage I'm referring to likely comes from mechanical tension. For example, I recall having a frizz halo from tension when I used to tie my hair back a lot. I'm certain that made hair break off just a little, here and there, which created a frizz halo, which I find to look a lot different that general frizz. It can also happen from handling or combing the hair too roughly. If any of your frizz halo is caused from tension, you can adjust your routine (ease up) and everything should be much better as the broken hair grows out.

... Or it's something else.
    First, I'd check to see if it's more than just a "frizz halo" - I'd see if the frizz stands out as much in other places too, but you just happen to have focused more on the halo. If the frizz really is mostly just a prominent halo, you may have hair breakage due to some sort of tension. If not, that may just be the way your hair is, or the way it is in humid conditions (if that applies).

The breakage I'm referring to likely comes from mechanical tension. For example, I recall having a frizz halo from tension when I used to tie my hair back a lot. I'm certain that made hair break off just a little, here and there, which created a frizz halo, which I find to look a lot different that general frizz. It can also happen from handling or combing the hair too roughly. If any of your frizz halo is caused from tension, you can adjust your routine (ease up) and everything should be much better as the broken hair grows out.

... Or it's something else.

Well once my hair begins to drive me crazy (closer to the end of the day) I will throw it up in a high ponytail which might be causing some breakage. I haven't tried much pineappling just yet (haven't found the benefit for me since I can't seem to get 2nd day here even when I have tried it).

I may have found the frizz culprit.....I attempted finger detangling for a couple of weeks but these last couple of days I went back to using my wide-tooth comb to detangle and distribute my products....the frizz has been much more manageable :thumbright:.
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    SortaRican wrote: »

Well once my hair begins to drive me crazy (closer to the end of the day) I will throw it up in a high ponytail which might be causing some breakage. I haven't tried much pineappling just yet (haven't found the benefit for me since I can't seem to get 2nd day here even when I have tried it).

I may have found the frizz culprit.....I attempted finger detangling for a couple of weeks but these last couple of days I went back to using my wide-tooth comb to detangle and distribute my products....the frizz has been much more manageable :thumbright:.

When I attempted finger detangling, I had the same problem! My hair was way frizzier than normal and it drove me crazy to the point where I was putting in a ponytail by the end of the day. I'm starting to think you're my hair twin, only yours is a lot longer. :toothy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

DaniGirl88 wrote: »

When I attempted finger detangling, I had the same problem! My hair was way frizzier than normal and it drove me crazy to the point where I was putting in a ponytail by the end of the day. I'm starting to think you're my hair twin, only yours is a lot longer. :toothy10:

It sure does sound like it! Not to mention I have tried most if not all of the products on your signature ;-). I'm still trying out others until I find something I absolutely love and cannot live without (My expectations might be too high).
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »

It sure does sound like it! Not to mention I have tried most if not all of the products on your signature ;-). I'm still trying out others until I find something I absolutely love and cannot live without (My expectations might be too high).

Lol! I'm doing the exact same thing! I didn't want to keep buying products but it looks like that's what happened. I think I'm getting closer though, which is so exciting. I think my problem is that I have been using heavy products and my hair and it needs the lighter ones. Trial and error I guess!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

I got tired of buying products and not getting the results I wanted. I just stopped using gels etc and started conditioner only styling,and my hair as never looked better. My hg right now is GVB Conditioning Balm from Sally's.

2/C -3A I think ???

I got tired of buying products and not getting the results I wanted. I just stopped using gels etc and started conditioner only styling,and my hair as never looked better. My hg right now is GVB Conditioning Balm from Sally's.

I've tried conditioner only styling and my hair looks a hot mess (maybe I'm not using the right conditioner) but for now I've decided that I must use some type of gel to get the look I'm going for. At one point my look was wet and crunchy. Now it's more natural with a little control (I don't want to look like I hopped out of bed and didn't even make an effort lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3b/3c

Products
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Takes a little time for hair to adjust to conditioner only styling. And its probably not for everyone. I know my hair looks healthier and frizz free. And I actually get second and third day hair now without having to do anything to it.

2/C -3A I think ???

Completely agree. May have to experiment to get the right conditioner.

Plus, even a few years after starting conditioner-only I found myself enjoying the variety of looks I got from adding gels, creams or oils to my curls. But there are still times I'll do co only.

Even if co-only works at one point in time, unfortunately doesn't mean it will yield the same results forever. Hair properties, despite what certain people advertise, can and do change over time. Even climactic changes can make a move toward an gel or oil helpful for some folks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file