Kinky curly vs. Shea moisture?

Hey everyone :-) my husband is going to buy me two hair products and I am having a bit of a hard time choosing the second one. I already own the Shea moisture styling milk and like it over my gel...but I do not like using it alone.

So I was wondering should I get the Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie to use with the styling milk?

I am for sure purchasing the Kinky curly knot today because I need it for detangling purposes and have heard great things about it! :-) But now I am considering getting the kinky curly curling custard instead to go along with the knot today. Please help me decide which one I should get for my long 3b/3a curls.

I wish I could get both haha but that's too pricey. Thank you so much for reading! As always your answers will be very much appreciated :-)
3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
*Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
*Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
*Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:

Comments

• LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    Oh I know the feeling! My boyfriend visited the US recently and I suddenly had to decide what he should bring. In the end, I decided to try KCKT and KCCC, simply because I've always been curious about both of them. They're incredibly expensive to get over here so it's a great opportunity to try them. So far, these are my experiences with KCCC (as you already know about KCKT):

I love the consistency. I'm used to FSG so KCCC was a huge surprise for me. It's rather sticky and I like that because I hated the way FSG constantly fell off my hand.

Once the product has penetrated my low porosity hair, it makes my curls look natural, as if I don't use any product at all.

I don't need to use other styling products with it. For me, it has enough hold and defines my curls just the way I like it.

It's lightweight and it doesn't build-up or weigh down my hair.

I don't need much which is a big plus as well.

So far, I'm really liking it, and I've been using it for just a week so still experimenting. From what I've understood is that KCCC has a learning curve, so you should bear that in mind.

Personally, I wouldn't get Shea Moisture because my hair gets weighed down so easily and it contains quite some heavy ingredients.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    With your properties and since you're getting KCKT I would recommend the KCCC. It didn't work out for me but it does work out for many people with properties similar to yours. The only reason I would say to stay away from KCCC is if you live in a very humid/high dew climate; KCCC doesn't perform well in humidity from my experience it was frizz city.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IMHO, KCCC is a product everyone should try or you'll always wonder.

My hair didn't care for any of the Shea M Coconut and Hibiscus line. They were just too heavy and sat on my low porosity hair. I had to wash them out.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    DEFINITELY get the KCCC! It works so well with the KCKT. It's the best "gel" type product I have ever used. It doesn't ever leave my hair feeling sticky or crunchy. It gives me great definition, bounce, & hold. You do have to learn how much to use for your hair. I only use about the size of a quarter but your hair is a lot longer so you'll prob need more. If you get it & don't love it the first time, keep trying b/c it's definitely a learning trial & error experience with the amount. Also, make sure your hair is pretty damp when applying both products. Good luck! Let me know what you think of the KK products. I adore them!

PS I live in Florida where it is very humid and I think the KCCC works really well and helps with frizz.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you get KCCC let me know what's it's like as I'm really interested to try this (and KCKT) too!
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Lauraimes I have never tried FSG but have heard good things about it. I have been so curious about KCKT and KCCC so I am very excited to finally try them. When I first saw them at my local target I was intrigued but thought the KCCC was a little pricey. But many reviewers say it is a good product so I am taking the plunge! Does it take longer to dry?

Thank you everyone :-) I am going for KCCC! I'm excited lol I'm so obsessed with making my curls look good! I love how gel keeps my formation in place and is easy for me to crunch out the crunch when dry. I will do a review in the product section and also on my beauty channel :-)

Mix of 3b and 3a curls.
    Low Porosity
    High Density
    Long Length
    Medium Width

Product loves:
    Co wash- V05 kiwi & lime clarifying conditioner.
    Detangler and leave in- Tresseme Naturals silicone free conditioner.
    Stylers- Ouidad botanical boost moisture infusing & refreshing spray.
    L.A Looks Sport Gel.
    Shea moisture styling milk.
    Frizz tamer- Almond oil.
    T-shirt for scrunching and plopping.
    Curl refresher- Lavender spray.
    Satin pillow cases.
    Satin Scrunchies.

*Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk

Scrunch out the crunch*

Mix of 3b and 3a curls.
    Low Porosity
    High Density
    Long Length
    Medium Width

Product loves:
    Co wash- V05 kiwi & lime clarifying conditioner.
    Detangler and leave in- Tresseme Naturals silicone free conditioner.
    Stylers- Ouidad botanical boost moisture infusing & refreshing spray.
    L.A Looks Sport Gel.
    Shea moisture styling milk.
    Frizz tamer- Almond oil.
    T-shirt for scrunching and plopping.
    Curl refresher- Lavender spray.
    Satin pillow cases.
    Satin Scrunchies.

• KiraSavannahKiraSavannah Posts: 423Registered Users
    KC says sometimes their products don't mix well with other products. And I would not use the curl enhancing smoothie with it , it worked on my 3b hair but it weighed down my 3c hair. I would recommend that you use the kinky curly custard, I would also recommend that you try Shea Moisture extra moisture detangler which is similar to kinky curly knot today, except people say that it feels more moisturizing than kinky curly, probably because sm has water in it lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
    CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly:)
    Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
    Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
    Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
    Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
    Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
    Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
    Ok thank you 😊 KCCC it is! I'll get KCKT this time around and try Shea moisture another time. Thank you for the reccomendation!

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Posts: 876Registered Users
    I love KCCC. If I really had to, I could get by with just conditioner and KCCC. However, I'm just starting to try out the SM Smoothie and so far having really good results with it, using very small amounts. So I'd say try KCCC first, and then maybe later try the smoothie. I can see the smoothie lasting a really long time, because I use such small amounts.

BTW, I know people sometimes have problems with KCCC not working well with other products, but personally I seem to be able to put it over anything. I think there was one thing I tried mixing it with (in my hand) that created white balls, but I can't remember what it was. Maybe Ecostyler. I've never had any issues with layering it over conditioners or curl creams.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Posts: 317Registered Users
    I love KCCC; the Shea moisture products didn't agree with my hair. I use a lot of LI and a lot of KCCC and a lot of gel (sometimes) and have not had an increase in my drying time. If I don't use a lot of LI, my hair does take longer to dry with the KCCC / gel combo mix and my hair feels a little tacky once it does dry. I've tried going without gel, but I need the extra hold.
  • SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    KCCC is the first holy grail product I've found for my hair .... I feel like once I started using it I began to really love my hair again. Sometimes I top it with DC light defining gel and SOTC after ... looks perfect after that!
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
    Woohoo I just ordered KCCC and KCKT I can't wait to receive my order and try them!

• LauraimesLauraimes Posts: 882Registered Users Curl Novice
    For me it doesn't take longer to dry but depending on the weather etc my hair already takes 7 to 9 hours until completely dry. The joys of low porosity hair, haha.

I had an incredibly good hair day yesterday and I'm liking KCKT and KCCC better every day I use them. I just love the consistency of both products, the smell, the way they apply and what they do to my hair. For the first time in my life, I used a leave-in yesterday! Initially I used KCKT only as a detangler because my hair hates layering and is weighed down easily, but none of that with KCKT. This morning when I re-wet my hair in the shower, I expected to rinse out the LI, but I discovered it has slowly absorbed. Great products.
    F - LP - HD - L/NE
    Fine, low porosity, high density, low/normal elasticity
    Hairtype 2c

Low poo: SheaMoisture Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Shampoo
    Detangler/RO: KCKT with 
    Colorful Neutral Protein Filler
    Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
    Ok thank you Lauraimes 😊 I'm excited to try them!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file