Second day hair

AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
I have 3b/3c hair, and I'm having trouble getting good second day hair. I use the "crunch method" (gelling hair before bed) and I sleep on a silk pillow case, but it's still not good enough. Any second day hair tips?

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you pineapple your hair at night? That might help.
  • AnsleyBirch13AnsleyBirch13 Posts: 180Registered Users
    How exactly do I do that? I put my hair up in a high "fan bun". Some people say they sleep in a silk cap, but I don't know where to get one
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    AnsleyBirch13 ...

I put my hair up in a pineapple, tie with a silk scarf and sleep on a satin pillowcase.

When I wake up, I take my hair down, spritz with a mixture water with pure aloe vera juice, [1 part to 4 parts water], which I keep in the refrigerator, shake, scrunch, and go.

I think it is the products you are using that is keeping you from getting 2nd day hair. What are you using?
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
    I use Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, SM smoothie, and Eco Styler gel. I want to try wrapping it in something silk
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What characteristics do you want your second day hair to have vs. what you are getting?
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    I use Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner, SM smoothie, and Eco Styler gel. I want to try wrapping it in something silk

You might want to drop the shampoo and co-wash.

Also, after co-washing my hair, I started a new regimen...I section my hair and apply the SM Milk to each section liberally. Then I apply the SM Smoothie on each section liberally as well. It looks almost white from so much product however when it dries the only thing left is curls defined, the shine and soft, bouncy hair that last a few days. :cheers:

You might want to try it in the evenings when you are not going anywhere so your hair can dry and you can see if you like it.

PS...the only "gel" I ever put in my hair is the homemade flaxseed gel. I think gel dries out the hair, but that's just me.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    Maybe I'm not using enough curling smoothie. I'll definitely try that! Thanks!:)
    Maybe I'm not using enough curling smoothie. I'll definitely try that! Thanks!:)

Yeah, because I am finally getting second day hair WITHOUT having to spritz it at all! My hair looked great today and I better as the day went on. :toothy7:

I will see how it looks tomorrow...3rd day hair.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk

Yeah, because I am finally getting second day hair WITHOUT having to spritz it at all! My hair looked great today and I better as the day went on. :toothy7:

I will see how it looks tomorrow...3rd day hair.

How does your hair look after using both the SM milk and smoothie? Do they do the same thing or what?
    [QUOTE=AnsleyBirch13;2219618

:toothy7:
    How does your hair look after using both the SM milk and smoothie? Do they do the same thing or what?[/QUOTE]

I use the SM Milk as a leave in because it is thinner, [people say use it sparingly but when I did, I didn't like it so I just "wet" my hair with it].

Then I section my hair and put on the SM Smoothie, [a lot]. I let it dry and it looks great!

I tie my hair up with a silk scarf, [bend over and let my hair fall forward-tie scarf around my hair with bow in front]. Sleep on a silk pillowcase.

When I up in the morning, remove scarf, shake, scrunge and style...good to go! :hello2:

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    Update...

So I got 3rd day hair with it however I had to co-wash after that. Still love it and will continue with this regimen.

Oh, I am adding KC Curling Custard to my "styler" step, [with the SM Smoothie] for the shine and the Aloe Vera ingredient and a few others which are very good for curly hair.

I will let you know how it goes, right now it looks excellent!

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    What are your hair properties (curl type, porosity, texture)? I just want to know to see if these products will work for me. I want to try the KCCC because I need a new gel .
    What are your hair properties (curl type, porosity, texture)? I just want to know to see if these products will work for me. I want to try the KCCC because I need a new gel .

Hi, look at my signature and all that info is there.

Also, the KC Curling Custard worked wonderful!!! I sectioned and put it on last, [not too much]. Today is second day hair and I just spritzed a little with Aloe Vera Water combo and it was good to go, [dried before I left the house].

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
  • anonymous_102187anonymous_102187 Posts: 30Registered Users

How does your hair look after using both the SM milk and smoothie? Do they do the same thing or what?

I use the SM Milk as a leave in because it is thinner, [people say use it sparingly but when I did, I didn't like it so I just "wet" my hair with it].

Then I section my hair and put on the SM Smoothie, [a lot]. I let it dry and it looks great!

I tie my hair up with a silk scarf, [bend over and let my hair fall forward-tie scarf around my hair with bow in front]. Sleep on a silk pillowcase.

When I up in the morning, remove scarf, shake, scrunge and style...good to go! :hello2:[/QUOTE]

How long is your hair? I've tried pineappling mine at night to achieve 2nd day hair (unsuccessfully), it just doesn't seem to work. I say this b/c I think my hair is too long to pineapple.
    I hate the way the back of my head gets. I'm not sure if using a silk pillowcase will even make a difference as it gets so matted and knotted just throughout the day.
    3b
    Porosity: normal (i think)
    Density: high
    Width: medium
    Length: long

Fav Products
    AIA Cowash
    AIA CCS
    AIA LI
    SMECS
    SMCS
    KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KellyofCurlsKellyofCurls Posts: 67Registered Users
    I'm super new to this CG stuff, but today I used my aloe vera juice/tea tree oil spritz on my 2nd day hair & then plopped. It worked great. I haven't read anything about plopping 2nd day hair, but it worked great for me.
    3A, Fine, Unsure of porosity
    Curly Girl since 11/10/13 - Still figuring out what works best for my hair!
    lopoo 1x per week with - Organix Tea Tree Mint Shampoo
    Conditioners: Sauve Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Sports Gel
    Curl Refresher - water. Still looking for something
    PT: IAGirl's Protein Treatment
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sorry I didn't see your post before this.

I never saturate my hair when I'm refreshing my curl, so I've never tried plopping then. However, if it's working well for you, that's all that matters. I'm glad you've succeeded at finding a method that works!
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

When I up in the morning, remove scarf, shake, scrunge and style...good to go! :hello2:

How long is your hair? I've tried pineappling mine at night to achieve 2nd day hair (unsuccessfully), it just doesn't seem to work. I say this b/c I think my hair is too long to pineapple.
    I hate the way the back of my head gets. I'm not sure if using a silk pillowcase will even make a difference as it gets so matted and knotted just throughout the day.[/QUOTE]

My apologies for the delay, sometimes I can't find the threads where I have posted.

My hair is shoulder length [curly] however I don't "pineapple" with the scungie. I lean over, letting my hair fall forward and wrap a silk scarf around it so it is all piled on top of my head.

In the AM, I just finger style in place.

I think if you spritz your hair at night, [4 parts water and 1 part SM HC Curling Milk], divide it into sections, finger comb each section while damp, braid then tie with silk scarf - you won't have tangles. Gently un-braid in the AM, and style out the sections with your fingers.

Silk pillow case, silk scarf, no combing, no heat, no shampoo, and plenty of water will work wonders.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
  • lovebonitalovebonita Posts: 134Registered Users
    I have mid-back length 3b-3c curls and I just got a good 5 days out of my last co-wash. Here's my last routine (still working on it) if you're interested:

So last Friday I pre-pooed with coconut oil for about 2 hours. Then I detangled in 5 sections with Roberto V05 after spritzing it with water (I finger detangle on damp, not wet hair). After that I twist each detangled section and co-washed in the shower using Tresseme Naturals.

Saturday morning I hennaed (4th session for me, let me know if you'd like my mix/routine). After that, I deep conditioned for an hour using Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque. After rinsing, I moisturized using the LOC method: I use Tresseme Naturals watered down in a spray bottle as my leave-in, then extra virgin olive oil, then shea butter on my ends. I always work with my hair in at least 4 sections and rake with my fingers to evenly distribute product. Then I put my hair in a bun for the rest of the weekend. I don't like to leave the house with wet hair so I always do the wash part of my wash and go the night before.

Monday morning I put a little bit of Olive Oil Eco Styler on my hair to encourage and define curl. It was a little dry that day. HERE'S WHERE I FOUND MY NEW BEST THING!!

Normally, I just pineapple my hair every night and throw a satin bonnet over it. I decided to spritz my hair with water, remoisturize, and put a plastic cap over it before placing my bonnet on top. OMG can I tell you I've woken up with perfect curls every day this week!?

The technique is called baggying and it helps keep your hair moisturized overnight. It's slightly damp in the morning, but it's always dry before I leave the house.

I know this is a lot but I didn't wanna leave any steps out because I think everything attributes to it.
  • randi.randlerandi.randle Posts: 5Registered Users
    I'm having the same problem. I posted a thread too. It's called "need better second day routine"
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    lady creole -- to quickly find the threads you posted and have a reply, click on CP (control panel) on the blue horizontal menu in curl talk. it takes you right to the list!

ansleyB-- i have a non-scientific, non-proven, but very personal theory from my hair and others on nc. it seems to me that hair with low elasticity (like mine) have a difficult time getting 2nd day hair. the curl just does not spring back as well as it should. since i've been sealing on a more consistent basis it is better but i am still not at the point where i love it enough not to wash. of course, there are times here and there that i will do 2nd day hair, but that is almost always because i know i need to be somewhere very early.

do you know your hair's elasticity? in any event, try sealing, see if it helps. btw, some seal with oils, some hair prefer butters. and, a little goes a long way!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've tried getting second day hair, but found that with my current routine, it just doesn't happen. When I tried the pineapple method, my hair didn't spring back and was flat and less curly. I've also tried the satin bonnet, but that flattened out my hair as well and spritzing my hair just makes it frizzy. I usually have to do a wash and go (which I don't mind). I would love to get second day hair, but if I put to much product on my hair, it weighs it down.

I came really close the day after I went to the stylist. She only used a leave-in before she put me under a hooded dryer and diffused my ends. I haven't been able to replicate just yet, but am getting closer I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Second day hair today. Spritzed down the length and scrunch and smoothed some leave in on ends and then scrunched in Sweet Curls Elixir Flax seed spray gel and cool diffused. Just another suggestion for people. ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1389886992.649741.jpg
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PS I throw that out there because my boss is 2c/3a and this same thing can work for her.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file