Minimalist Curlies

ginabean98ginabean98 Posts: 197Registered Users
I recently made a post about returning to basic hair care -I was fed up with lists of products and techniques. I'm going to go out on a limb now though -no products. I like my hair texture natural, and frankly, I couldn't be bothered enough to do these extensive routines. Right now, I'm washing with trader Joe's tea tree tingle conditioner, which cleanses well but is chock full of natural oils, and for only 4 dollars. It helps my flaky scalp as well. Then I'm scrunching with microfibertowel, clipping at the roots (I'm addicted to volume) and air drying. At night I put a dab of coconut oil and pineapple. Simple as can be! Share your thoughts and simple routines or ideas! Shoutout to bringingcurliesback? because I know she feels the same way and made a similar thread to this one.
2c/3a, botticelli/s'wavy, thick hair :queen:
Devacuts 3.5.14, 7.16.15
CG 9.11.14, on & off for years before
:sunny:
GOD really loves you. ∞
HGs: SM Shampoo, SM conditioners (RO), LA Looks Sport gel
*I love scalp scrubs, bangs, clipping roots, and diffusing!*
I wash my hair 1-2 times a week, usually 1
:cat:

Comments

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    This is interesting. I'm curious to see how my hair would dry. Do you find you have any trouble with frizz? That's my main reason for styling.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've been doing this lately as well. I put a product rich with protein as a leave in conditioner, then sometimes do a curl cream and sometimes not. I hate my hair feeling gunky full of product, yuck. Definitely less buildup!
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely feel like less is more sometimes. I feel like my hair gets addicted to product. Or rather I get used to how my hair feels with product now. Where as before I only preferred my hair naked.
    This is a stupid thing to say but something to think about... imagine if something happened and we got stranded on an island or something. On curly haired people island I wonder what would happen with out all our stuff...
    I know certain people's hair would get greasy I and then it would regulate etc. But what else? Could putting all the stuff we put in be causing more issues?
    Idk. Maybe I'm over thinking all this.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • greencup13greencup13 Posts: 596Registered Users
    Ginabean I'd love to see a picture of your "naked" hair. :) I'm a minimalist. My hair hates product and hates stacking things. I'm a one and done curly. I conditioner style only. I'm not brave enough to go naked though. Hmm maybe I should try.
    3A 3B mix
    Colored treated
    Combo Low and High porosity
    Medium coarse texture

Goosefootprints hair analysis
    Co-wash- As I Am Co-wash
    RO-GVPCB[/COLOR
    LI- As I Am leave in,
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Style- la looks sport gel
  • ashkins09ashkins09 Posts: 75Registered Users
    When I was young to my young adulthood only product I leave in was a gel. Didn't get no frizz either. Not sure how the moisture was back then. A lot of times I don't even put any styling products in. Just the LOC method and I'm good to go.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using CurlTalk App
    3B fine & medium, medium density,low/medium porosity, semi protein sensitive
    NP: ACV
    COWASH: Suave Naturals green apple and coconut
    RO/LI: Tresseme Naturals, Oyin hair dew
    PT/DT: Ion repair solutions, my own concoction
    OIL: Coconut, grapeseed & jojoba
    STYLER: LA Looks nutra curl & AVJ spritz

My disabilities don't change who I am.
  • bobbybobby Posts: 737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I definitely feel like less is more sometimes. I feel like my hair gets addicted to product. Or rather I get used to how my hair feels with product now. Where as before I only preferred my hair naked.
    This is a stupid thing to say but something to think about... imagine if something happened and we got stranded on an island or something. On curly haired people island I wonder what would happen with out all our stuff...
    I know certain people's hair would get greasy I and then it would regulate etc. But what else? Could putting all the stuff we put in be causing more issues?
    Idk. Maybe I'm over thinking all this.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App

I have definitely found the "less is more" theory to be true. When I first started wearing my hair longer about eight years ago, I styled my hair using a blow-dryer and a round styling brush. Then occasionally I'd curl it with my wife's curling iron. I did that for about six months. I'd get volume but not necessarily curls.

About a year and a half ago, I decided to go three months between haircuts instead of 6-8 weeks. I shampooed everyday with the 2-in-1 head and shoulders shampoo and conditioner. Used the Garnier Fructis curl shaping gel but found my hair was too crunchy.

The last six months I have switched to co-washing with Suave condition (almond & shea butter). I have since ditched the gel. I just "wash and go" -- or "co wash and go." I towel dry my hair, gently massage my fingers through it to create curls. Then I use Suave hair spray. And occasionally wear the purple pick you see.

I have definitely found that simpler is better. However, I might do a one time experiment. I love my 2b/2c curls but would love to do a day of 3s or 4s. I haven't decided yet but I might do a perm rod set one day, no heat or chemicals though.

As a guy, being confident in wearing my curly locks was half the battle.
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is a stupid thing to say but something to think about... imagine if something happened and we got stranded on an island or something.

At least we'd have plenty of coconut for our hair! ;)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • PuertoricangirlPuertoricangirl Posts: 428Registered Users
    Sometimes I leave my hair naked...but I almost always leave in some conditioner to keep it from getting frizzy. Every once in a while I use stylers like curl cream and gel but I mostly prefer just conditioner as a leave in :) my hair can get build up easily as well as get greasy with too much product. I also just love simplicity :toothy7:
    3A/3B Fine/Medium curly, Low Porosity, Medium density, long length.

*Shampoo & Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and shine
    *Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today and GVP Condtioning Balm
    *Cream Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie, Coconut and hibiscus styling milk
    Gels: L.A Looks Sports Gel, and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    *Serum: Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper

:blob7:
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair responds better to less product too. It is low density & fine so that makes sense. Layering on products makes my hair feel waxy and coated. Ugh. Leave-ins tend to leave my hair frizzy so I'd HAVE to layer something on top of that. No thanks. Now I no-poo, condition & apply either gel or mousse.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file