Hair length and age.

iaprilabiaprilab Registered Users Posts: 14
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1382747754.397665.jpg
I will be 45 soon.
Thought on hair length and age. I think age doesn't matter, but I am curious as to what others think.

Comments

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    I think women should do what they want to do as they age. Haven't we earned the right to make our own rules? At 51 I decided to grow my hair long, because I'd never had it past about mid-back. I grew it past hip in about three and half years. Then this summer I decided I wanted to go full CG and cut back to about shoulder. Not because I'm supposed to have shorter hair, but because I wanted to. And if I feel like growing it out again, I'll do that, too! :thumright:
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Registered Users Posts: 400 Curl Neophyte
    I have never understood why "they" [whoever "they" are], say that as women get older, they should wear shorter hair unless it is to make them look more "mannish" due to menopause.

I am going to grow my hair as long as I can and have long, curly, sensuous hair to go with this new liberation and sexuality I feel as being an older woman.

Changing my outfits as well, more flowing dresses, and skirts...colors and exotic styles.

Blessings!
    My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
    3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
    Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
    Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
    Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
    Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
    Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
    Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Registered Users Posts: 3,750 Curl Neophyte
    None of anyone's business but yours and possibly your employers (within reason, in terms of colour and neatness, not length) how you wear your hair.

I am 40+ and intend to keep dying my hair unnatural colours and grow to waist. Once I am all white I'd like a pastel rainbow.

Most laws and many rules are based in logic, to maintain society, to stop us hurting one another. 'Growing old gracefully' doesn't fit in with that at all - it is nothing more than a whim of fashion since women have worn their hair long into old age for thousands of years. Sikhs don't cut their hair, the bible calls it a woman's glory IIRC.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • KauaiMareCurlKauaiMareCurl Registered Users Posts: 317
    I quit going to a hairdresser because while she styled my hair FABULOUSLY, she always took off too much length and told me that once I hit a certain age, I would have to go shorter. Used her pre-CG and she did wonders for my waves/curls (although with silicone products and I couldn't reproduce the results at home). I quit going to her while still pre-CG, when I had let the time between trims elapse to about 3 months (oh horrors of horrors in her estimation) and she cut off two inches off my length (I didn't and still don't have split ends) while saying this is what my hair "needed" since I had gone so long between trims.

Since going CG in January 2013, I've realized I don't need a trim every six weeks (my hair is very healthy). l had a trim recently, after about six months and the Ouidad trained stylist took off a MINISCULE amount thus preserving my length at just past BSL. I am fairly certain that if I'd stayed with my pre-CG hairdresser, my hair would be shoulder length by now because in December I will be 50 and that would qualify as her definition of a certain age.
    Now that I really look at it, it's quite a bit past BSL. Around my face, I have a fair amount of "natural" highlights, as I don't dye my hair (way too lazy). This is second day hair, too
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1382892826.212981.jpg
  • Always@night[email protected] Registered Users Posts: 566 Curl Neophyte
    I think hair should be worn as a woman pleases at any age.
    I don't believe that once you become a mother you have to get the typical mom cut and sport shorter hair. (Unless that is what is desired). I see nothing wrong with women of any age sporting highlights, and longer lengths. I especially love seeing older women (+70) with long gray hair, I think it looks beautiful and majestic.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a cranky 56 year old woman and will never let someone else decide what I should or shouldn't do with my hair, or what clothes I should wear, or what color lipstick I should wear. I do/wear what makes me happy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    iaprilab wrote: »
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1382747754.397665.jpg
    I will be 45 soon.
    Thought on hair length and age. I think age doesn't matter, but I am curious as to what others think.

Which one are you? The longer lighter hair or the shorter darker hair?

I used to think when I turned 40, I would wack my hair off to shoulder length or shorter but now that I am 40, I just don't want to.:p

I see women on tv and IRL who are over 40 w/ long hair or long weaves and they look great. So I don't think it's a rule everyone needs to stick to.

I do personally think that once a woman's face (facial skin) starts sagging, a lot of long, flat, vertical hair will only pull it down further, visually. But some women's faces don't sag or they just don't care.

I think it's a good idea to re-assess your (gy) hairstyle every 5 yrs or so. Not for the sake of age...but bc faces do change and so do dress style, make up, lifestyle, etc.

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I think so much depends on your hair, your face, and your own personal style.

However, I will add that I know a woman over 50 who still dyes her hair black, adds blonde highlights, and buys little lace dresses such as would suit a pre-teen attending a formal dance. She's on her fourth marriage. Frankly, she looks weird. I'm not sure if it's the dresses or the big hair.........she also has a tiny body, so maybe it's the combination of her figure and the great big country music star-style hair. Too much hair; too little face.

Okay, so my answer seems to refer back to my opening statement: whatever suits you matters more than trying to stay young, or impose artificial standards of what's appropriate for one's age.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    ^ And that's it exactly. That woman may look weird or not age appropriate to others, but if she likes the way she looks and it makes her feel good/confident/happy, then more power to her. Age should have nothing to do with it.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    I didn't know that there was an age that you "had to go shorter"?? Do people think this?? Will your hair magically fall off to the specified length if you don't cut it there? I don't get it..

I've seen old ladies with long hair, and I think it's beautiful.

Although I think some ladies go short, because they don't want to have the effort of longer hair anymore. That's what my mom did once she had a few kids.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    No rhyme or reason to that "rule." Who makes up these rules anyway? Maybe the idea is that older women aren't supposed to be sexual - ha ha - and that longer hair is associated with sensuality.

Your hair, your color, your length, your style, your choice! Enjoy.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I never really understood the society aspect to hair in general. Why? !
    Yeah I need to know who decides these things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • frankie88frankie88 Registered Users Posts: 106
    I remember a grade school teacher I had when I was little. She was probably in her later 50's, and had long tail bone length grey hair. It was so thick and healthy it looked like some kind of magic unicorn hair. I thought it was so pretty. I hope mine will be long and magical looking when I am that age.
    2a/2b, Medium Porosity, Medium Density, Lower Back Length, Growing out highlights.
    Shampoo: SMMR Conditioner: SMMR or Organix Keratin Oil Leave In: Organix Shea Butter DC: Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba oil mixed all together with v05 conditioner.
    “Imperfection is beauty.”
    ― Marilyn Monroe
    Isn't it interesting the things that make lifelong impressions on us? I love long pretty grey or white hair.

But I also love a pixie.
    Well now I want magical unicorn hair!
  • abstractcurlsabstractcurls Registered Users Posts: 380
    I think hair should be worn as a woman pleases at any age.
    I don't believe that once you become a mother you have to get the typical mom cut and sport shorter hair. (Unless that is what is desired). I see nothing wrong with women of any age sporting highlights, and longer lengths. I especially love seeing older women (+70) with long gray hair, I think it looks beautiful and majestic.

This... I think long gray hair is beautiful, but I hardly ever see it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    None of anyone's business but yours and possibly your employers (within reason, in terms of colour and neatness, not length) how you wear your hair.

I am 40+ and intend to keep dying my hair unnatural colours and grow to waist. Once I am all white I'd like a pastel rainbow.

Most laws and many rules are based in logic, to maintain society, to stop us hurting one another. 'Growing old gracefully' doesn't fit in with that at all - it is nothing more than a whim of fashion since women have worn their hair long into old age for thousands of years. Sikhs don't cut their hair, the bible calls it a woman's glory IIRC.

Well said Firefox. There's no perfectly good reason for women of any age to crawl up into some sexist fashion cage. ... Now that I think of it, men are also pressured to cut their hair too at an older age IMO, but still, it seems there's a lot less pressure on them to do so. Anyway, no one of either gender should feel pressured this way :sad3:
  • bobbybobby Registered Users Posts: 785 Curl Connoisseur
    Korkscrew wrote: »

Well said Firefox. There's no perfectly good reason for women of any age to crawl up into some sexist fashion cage. ... Now that I think of it, men are also pressured to cut their hair too at an older age IMO, but still, it seems there's a lot less pressure on them to do so. Anyway, no one of either gender should feel pressured this way :sad3:

The whole idea of social norms is areal head scratcher for me. Like "you're supposed to do this, that, X, Y or Z when you are this age." Says who?
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    bobby wrote: »
    Korkscrew wrote: »

The whole idea of social norms is areal head scratcher for me. Like "you're supposed to do this, that, X, Y or Z when you are this age." Says who?

The meedja.

Fashion mags etc tell us how we are suppose to look.

What's amusing about them is except for very few models most of the people modelling clothes are aiming at a market for people much older than they are.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    I'm planning on a pixie cut soon. But I think people try to weigh you down after hait cuts too. Like when I hacked off my hair last month and people see me their like why it was so pretty? Ny mom is even like don't worry its growing back honey. Lmao

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Kissing 50 :-)

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1384125912.451308.jpg

Color is washed out, but I don't dye either. I want to grow it out to hip length and then cut ten inches off to donate, again
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,031 Curl Connoisseur
    well i will be 64 in a week. i have my yearly haircut scheduled with ana of devachan in 3 days and we keep the length, just cut off the dead stuff and shape it a bit.. its below BSL and gray mostly. i think many women cut their hair bc it gets thin and scraggly looking. we are blessed with curls so we can wear long hair and it looks good. my hair is thin but people think it is thick. its the cotton candy effect...
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • caramix3acaramix3a Registered Users Posts: 462 Curl Neophyte
    I do wear my hair in an inverted bob, because it does work with my type of waves and curls, NOT because I'm older LOL! Phooey on stupid rules by the haircut police, and other so-called fashion and beauty authorities who seem to think we should all tone it down and disappear after a certain age. And yes, there are far too many menopausal women who whack off perfectly beautiful hair where they looked fine before whacking it off, usually way too short. Unless said women have the right shape of head, features and general look, that "no-nonsense" short haircut only serves to neuter them. But on the right older woman, a very short haircut can look beautiful, as on the right older woman, butt-length, beautifully-kept hair of whatever color looks magical and beautiful. Moral of the story, do what makes one feel and look great and makes one happy, like jeepcurlygurl often says.:)
  • CynCurlyQCynCurlyQ Registered Users Posts: 9
    For years I kept it cut shoulder length, but the truth is that it is much easier for me to deal with it longer (it is about halfway down my back now but I have no plans of stopping anytime soon). I don't care what others think, if it is long and I have a bad hair day I can stick it in a ponytail or a barrette and be done with it, that is what matters for me, and it looks nicer longer curly too.
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    My mother's was the generation which started wearing their hair short, and they like to say that long hair looks old. IMO it looks old to them because of their associating it with their mothers' and grandmothers' generations. I also think that hairdressers embraced that slogan because it encourages women to come in for frequent cuts and other services.

Now, young women say that short hair makes you look older, and I think the reason is the same. Their mothers and grandmothers cut their hair short, but long hair was the in thing for their generation, so it looks "younger" to them.

When I tried to grow my hair, I always got sabotaged by hairdressers who wouldn't or couldn't cut my hair so it looked even unless they cut it terminally short. Prior to that, my mother always forced me to have extremely short hair. Now that I've started getting Deva cuts, I've been able to grow it. With all the jump it has, it seems to take forever to grow, but I'm enjoying having it the way I always wanted it, although I'm finding the learning curve harder at this point in my life.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    When I mentioned how cute my young co-workers would look with pixie cuts, one immediately looked panicked, and said, "Guys don't like short hair! Cutting your hair into a pixie is the first nail in the coffin of middle age!"

Sigh.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^Miley Cyrus, Michelle Williams, Mary J. Blige, Keira Knightly, etc. Gee, they look ready for the grave! Sorry if I spelled their names wrong.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Registered Users Posts: 1,834 Curl Neophyte
    When I mentioned how cute my young co-workers would look with pixie cuts, one immediately looked panicked, and said, "Guys don't like short hair! Cutting your hair into a pixie is the first nail in the coffin of middle age!"

Sigh.

Funny, can't recall any guy turning down an attractive woman, saying, "She'd be sexy if it weren't for that pixie cut" :rolleyes:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file