Moisture Right Now Please

curlydogrunscurlydogruns Posts: 7Registered Users
I am brand new to being naturally curly. I have high porous type 3b curly hair, maybe course. I am mid 40's, so I also color my hair, although I have no idea what products my hairdresser uses to to that. My hair is still very dry. I get all over frizz, from the crown down the length of my hair.

I do not shampoo my hair. I have been doing water rinses only for a few weeks, and LOC, using leave in conditioner Elucence, coconut oil, and Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus smoothie. For gels, I am using As I am smoothingj jelly. I get good curl action, but tons of frizz.

I am really kind of lost. I think I need more moisture. My hair feels really dry. Help!

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried butters for sealing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    first you need to try to understand your hair's properties. livecurlylivefree.com has a menu across the top with info on hair basics which will help with that. texture and porosity are important in finding products with ingredients that our hair needs. btw, it is possible but unlikely that your hair is coarse as 3b curls and most curlies are fine or medium texture.
    i am not familiar with the products you use, so i can't comment on them. however, doing only water washes for weeks sounds like you might have some buildup??? i'd do a cowash at least once a week, really massaging your scalp. maybe also start with a low poo. see if that helps.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bliss611bliss611 Posts: 238Registered Users
    Your hair sounds very similar to mine except my hair's naturally high porosity not from coloring.

A few things - using all the heavy emoilients and doing only water washes is probably causing build up. You need to do a lo'poo or at least start co-washing.

Also the glycerin in the As I Am Jelly may be a problem. What are the dew points like where you live? In low dews, glycerin and other strong humectants can cause highly porous hair to dry out. I have been experiencing that a lot lately with fall weather starting.
    3B curls
    Medium texture
    Normal elasticity
    High porosity
  • GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It seems like you have quite a bit of build-up, and need to clarify your hair. Once you've clarified, deep conditioner your hair. Then see how it looks and feels to determine if you need a leave-in.

Sometimes using too many products (even good ones) can cause dry hair due to build-up. Try using two (after deep conditioning) at the most: a leave-in and a styling product. If your hair is slightly dry afterward, a light conditioning spritz can be sprayed on to add just the right amount of moisture without being heavy.

I think the LOC is wonderful, especially for the winter. You may need to customize it, though, for your hair to see what works, i.e. perhaps leave out the oil or the cream. There are times that I will just use the leave-in and a dry oil.

As a side note: coconut oil or any product with the oil in the first 10-12 ingredients makes my hair dry and hard, unless it's used as pre-treatment or a rinse-out only. I saw that you use coconut oil, and Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus smoothie and As I am smoothing jelly, so I'm wondering if your dryness is due to coconut overload. Just a thought...

Bliss611 is right about the glycerin. Unless the product with glycerin also contains a moisturizer within the first 5 ingredients on the list, it can dry out your hair in the winter.

Don't worry--we'll help you find the right solution for your hair! :)
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am brand new to being naturally curly. I have high porous type 3b curly hair, maybe course. I am mid 40's, so I also color my hair, although I have no idea what products my hairdresser uses to to that. My hair is still very dry. I get all over frizz, from the crown down the length of my hair.

I do not shampoo my hair. I have been doing water rinses only for a few weeks, and LOC, using leave in conditioner Elucence, coconut oil, and Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus smoothie. For gels, I am using As I am smoothingj jelly. I get good curl action, but tons of frizz.

I am really kind of lost. I think I need more moisture. My hair feels really dry. Help!

Welcome!

Porous hair actually takes up plenty of moisture (water), too much in fact, and this causes hair to swell frizz and ultimately become more damaged (hygral fatigue). Sounds more like your hair is either damaged or suffering build up or both than actually needing more water.

IMO that routine is asking for build up, you need to shampoo or co-wash if you use anything that is not water soluble such as oils and butters.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged or porous hair include coconut oil (overnight prewash on dry hair), hydrolysed protein (caution is coarse hair), ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Try using more leave in conditioner rich in fatty alcohols to get clumping, frizz control and help moderate the amount of water the hair holds.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • curlydogrunscurlydogruns Posts: 7Registered Users
    I am learning so very much. I think I will try a clarifying shampoo as suggested. What are some that are CG approved and would be good for my hair? Is clarifying the same as a lo-poo?

Also, I am now concerned about the As I am Gel because certainly dew points are falling in Illinois as we head into the windy winter. What gels would recommended?
    Curlydogruns,

The following is CG:

Clarifying shampoo is not the same as low poo. Low poo is a non-sulfate shampoo, while a clarifying shampoo will have a natural astringent (such as fruit acid, witch hazel) in it to remove excess build-up. One example is Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo.

For clarifying, CURLS clarifying shampoo or Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo are examples. I've even used baking soda on my hair as a clarifier. You can use a low poo such as DevaCurl Low Poo. However, since it seems that you have a lot of build-up, it may be best to clarify.

After clarifying, you will need to deep condition your hair (DC), or if your hair is left soft, just use a moisturizing leave-in conditioner.

Using gels in the winter or when it's windy will depend on your hair's response. Sometimes the same stylers that worked in the summer and fall, will not work in the dry (and windy, depending where you live) winter because of the high content of glycerin and protein. I tend to go towards stylers (gels or creams) that have no glycerin or protein (or those ingredients are towards the end of the list), or if there is another moisturizing ingredient after water on the ingredients' list.

Here are a few examples of gels/creams: AG Hair Cosmetics Recoil, CJ Curls in a Bottle, Mop Top gels, Curly Kinks Coil Jam.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am learning so very much. I think I will try a clarifying shampoo as suggested. What are some that are CG approved and would be good for my hair? Is clarifying the same as a lo-poo?

Also, I am now concerned about the As I am Gel because certainly dew points are falling in Illinois as we head into the windy winter. What gels would recommended?

Sorry but I don't agree with Greatcurls, acids chelate (remove mineral build up) they do not clarify, astringency is related to skin not hair.

A clarifying shampoo will be rich in either sulphate surfactants or cocoamidopropyl betaine, these are proven to shift product build up including fairly substantive agents that 'stick' to hair well. It will also NOT be conditioning, you don't want anything to 'get in the way' of effective cleansing. It will usually be clear in colour.

Many low-poos (sulphate free) are conditioning so are not clarifying, however it is possible to have both - I occasionally use a clear shampoo 'base' that is rich in cocoamidopropyl betaine but no oils, silicones or suchlike.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hey, I live in IL too!

I haven't been using any stylers, just a leave in and maybe a dime size or less of an oil over the ends and top once dried. Seems to work pretty well. I'm in search of a styler too, especially on those stupid windy days we get up here.

I use Neutrogena Anti-Residue clarifying shampoo and love it! Definitely refreshes my curls and starts me off clean. Sometimes I'll do two washes in one session, depending on the level of buildup.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • curlydogrunscurlydogruns Posts: 7Registered Users
    About how often do you use a clarifying shampoo? Would this be like a weekly thing? And I understand that I must do a DT right afterwards.
    Curlydogruns:

It will depend on how your hair feels, and the amount of build-up. Another indicator is when your staple products no longer work on your hair or not the way they used to. Sometimes if you only have a small amount of build-up, all you need is a low-poo. If the low-poo doesn't work, then you will need to clarify.

When the humidity (and dew points) is high, I will clarify about every 3-4 weeks. When the humidity (and dew points) is low, about every 6-7 weeks.

HTH :icon_smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji