Anyone listen to music from India?

joplindeejoplindee Posts: 4Registered Users
I was riding with my girfriend Mayah and she popped in a cd "Introducing Nitin Sawhney" it's like a blend of Indian music and hip hop. I'm telling you its like the best music I ever heard!!! Now I cant get enough of it! I highly recommend it as well as a guy named DJ Cheb Sabbah and Talvin Singh, now my boyfriend thinks i'm going weird because i'm listening to foreign music now..but its way better than some of the crap that's out these days.

Comments

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    joplindee wrote:
    I was riding with my girfriend Mayah and she popped in a cd "Introducing Nitin Sawhney" it's like a blend of Indian music and hip hop. I'm telling you its like the best music I ever heard!!! Now I cant get enough of it! I highly recommend it as well as a guy named DJ Cheb Sabbah and Talvin Singh, now my boyfriend thinks i'm going weird because i'm listening to foreign music now..but its way better than some of the crap that's out these days.

Yea I do here and there, since a few of my friends are indian but I couldn't tell you the names of any of them except Punjabi MC which most pple already heard of(I met him and his brother actually in Miami once, interesting experience).
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    You've just named my husband's favorites there, although I haven't heard anything new from any of them in a while (maybe I'm just out of the loop).

Also check out Karsh Kale and Tabla Beat Science and Mideival Punditz.
  • gemidevigemidevi Posts: 510Registered Users
    Also check out Stereo Nation. They are a group out of Calgary and their music is mainly done in Hindi, but the beats are fun!
    *disclaimer* spelling, grammatical and psychological errors are for your enjoyment. :)
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the style of traditional Indian music fused with hip hop is called bhangra. My school's South Asian Society puts on a dance competition/gathering called Midwest Masala where dance groups from other schools come to compete in fusion dance. It's so cool! They wear jazzed up saris and blend traditional Indian dances with hiphop and it's just so awesome! Maybe google bhangra or search on youtube and you can find some recordings of the fusion dances.

I love this music too! Luckily I have a friend in the SAS who burned me a CD full of songs. One of my favorites is a 50 cent song gone bhangra.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • O d d i s y~O d d i s y~ Posts: 1,042Registered Users
    Nitin Sahwney is Fantastic!
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the style of traditional Indian music fused with hip hop is called bhangra.

Bhangra is actually is a lively form of folk music and dance that originates from Punjab

Bhangra music is really good.. listen to Punjabi MC.
    Loovee itttt!
    And the end of the day , all you've got is yourself..:headbang:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I like Talvin Singh too, also Sheila Chandra. And Susheela Raman.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Bhangra is actually very traditional punjabi folk music and the dance that goes with it. Its gotten a big makeover in the last decade and has been mixed with modern beats and hip hop and rap and totally taken off as the music for us "desis" who are born or living abroad.

My MIL (DH is Punjabi) listens to traditional Bhangra music and my toddler just loves it. She's taught him to dance and everything - its so cute!

I've been to few Bhangra competitions and they really are amazing!
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Yea I love watching the men dance. It's almost like gymnastics sometimes with good dance music and clothes.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Bhangra is actually very traditional punjabi folk music and the dance that goes with it. Its gotten a big makeover in the last decade and has been mixed with modern beats and hip hop and rap and totally taken off as the music for us "desis" who are born or living abroad.

My MIL (DH is Punjabi) listens to traditional Bhangra music and my toddler just loves it. She's taught him to dance and everything - its so cute!

I love bhangra! One of my best friends is Sikh and her brother does bhangra competitions. I go to the jams and they are so much fun. I do have some mix CDs but I have no idea who most of the artists are. One from back in the day is Punjabi MC.

For more traditional sounding Indian music, there is a Indo-Canadian woman named Kiran Ahluwalia who is really good. I've been to see her live.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I took your tip and checked out Kiran, I am sure I would like her music! I just ordered one of her CDs.

Amneris, have you heard of Azam Ali, who is the vocalist for the group Vas and has also recorded solo work? She also integrates Indian and Middle Eastern material and is an awesome musician.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file