3A product suggestions

Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
Hey everyone! I am new here and was just wondering some of the products that work well for fellow 3a curlies. Like many of you I am all about finding a great routine and beloved holy grail products. I have fine hair with medium/normal porosity. My hair does tend to get frizzy if I am not using good products, especially now that I live in FL with awful humidity. Just curious about everyone's holy grails. Thanks!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Someone will say this sooner or later, so I'll say it now :)

Curl pattern really isn't a great way to pick hair products. Your other properties (texture/width, porosity, density, elasticity) are really what determine what sorts of ingredients/products will work best for your hair. There is some info for figuring out your other properties on NaturallyCurly.com, but LiveCurlyLiveFree.com has a more thorough explanation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Brigettelowe521Brigettelowe521 Posts: 94Registered Users
    Ah yes, I forgot to mention that my hair is fine and medium/normal porosity :-)
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    A good starting point would be to find someone on the board with your hair properties and look at their products in their signature. Our hair is similar, so you can see which products I love and how I use them. I'm beginning to think my hair is more fine than medium. Purchased a hair analysis, so we will see.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    Thanks for the tip. I'm using the app and it doesn't show signatures so I guess I will have to get on the forums from the website...unless there is an option I am missing that will show the signatures on the app. I'm not 100% sure on my porosity especially because of the "floating in water" test is unreliable. My hair doesn't dry fast, but it doesn't take an extremely long time like some of my friends. Product doesn't really "sit on my hair" and I think it absorbs it pretty well (depending on the product), but doesn't suck it up to where I have to use a lot...so I'm thinking I have medium/normal porosity? Thanks for everyone's help. I've learned so much from the NC community!
    It sounds like we have the same properties. My hair is fine in texture, thick in density, with normal porosity and elasticity. My hair is very protein craving, so pretty much everything I use now has protein in it. I have tried to over-protein my hair and have never been able to. My current favorites are as follows (I'm about due to update my signature, so this doesn't match exactly):
    Cleansers: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea conditioner (co-wash, my one and only protein-free product), DevaCARE No-Poo and Low-Poo. I also had good results with Curl Junkie Daily Fix and Gentle Cleansing Shampoo (low-poo), but I get similar results with Deva, which is readily available on the ground for me.
    Conditioners: Spiral Solutions Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner, DevaCARE One Condition, Regis Olive Oil Conditioner (available at the salon in Walmart). I also liked Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner. I typically use my regular conditioner as my leave-in, but I also regularly use Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Treatment as a leave-in (was not kidding about protein floozy hair).
    Styling Products: Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel and B'Leave-In (especially using Scott Musgrave's MAP technique- it's not just for wavies), Curl Junkie Curl Queen Gel, CHS Curl Keeper (rare for me protein-free product), AG Re:Coil

It's probably buried a few pages back, but there's an awesome thread in the 2s forum called Share Your Hair Biography, which will give you one-stop browsing for people with similar properties without needing to read signatures (I do most of my posts from my phone, so I never see signatures, either).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Thanks so much for the advice! I'm not sure if my hair loves or hates proteins. Is it our type of hair that loves them or should I be investigating other properties of my hair to find out if it needs protein? There are a lot of products on your list that I've been wanting to try. I did try the Regis olive oil shampoo, conditioner, & leave in but had horrible results. The lady at the salon told me the shampoo was sulfate free & I trusted her w/o reading the ingredients & it totally stripped my hair. I didn't like either of the conditioners either & was so disappointed bc I have heard they were great. I have been super curious about the curl keeper but I keep seeing mixed reviews on it. Also, some say it's a gel & some say it's a primer/definer so I'm all sorts of confused lol. Have you tried any of the Ouidad or Kinky Curly products? I'm using both now and am really liking them so far.
    I am a (somewhat) recovering product junkie. At one point I had around 120 different hair products crammed into my tiny bathroom (creative storage doesn't even begin to describe it). I've tried a lot. Two other things I like to explain whenever I give any product recommendations or reviews: first, my hair tends to be very agreeable to most products/ingredients. There have been very few products that I can say I hated, or even disliked. I have an unusually high tolerance for protein, even for someone with fine hair. My hair is tolerant of glycerin and other humectants in dew points far outside of the accepted ranges that work for most people. The other thing is that I'm not strict CG. I use CG friendly products about 85-90% of the time, but have no problem with the occasional silicone or gentle sulfate.
    In general, fine hair does do well with protein, so it's worth looking into. I've used a few Kinky Curly products, but none of them made the final stash killing cut :) Knot Today was a great detangler for me, but since I cut my hair in January I haven't had any issues with tangles. Curling Custard was an average product for me. I never experienced the learning curve that some people seem to have with it, but I can't say it ever really wowed me either. Come Clean was one of those rare dislike products- my current sulfate shampoo leaves my hair feeling softer and less stripped than this did.
    From Ouidad, I've tried Curl Co-Wash (decent, but no better than other cleansing conditioners), Tress Effect Gel (also decent, especially since I prefer thinner consistency gels), can't remember the exact name, but a curl defining cream-gel, which really did nothing for me, and Climate Control shampoo (eh), conditioner (not so much- don't like cones in conditioners), and gel (love- one of my high humidity HG products).
    As far as Curl Keeper, both observations are kind of true. I primarily use as a frizz-reducer layered in between curl cream and gel. However, on days that I want to be a bit more relaxed in my routine, I use Curl Keeper alone over a generous amount of conditioner. It gives nice definition and a light hold that I can't get from regular conditioner-only styling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    I can totally relate on the product junkie thing! I'm not totally CG either...my hair doesn't seem to mind silicones. Some "frizz reducing" serums do weigh my hair down because it is fine, but I have found a couple I do like. I never really knew how much my hair didn't like sulfates until I stopped using them. However, the sulfates in joico moisture shampoo never seemed to harm my hair, & some sulfate free ones really dried my hair out & made it feel like straw. I am liking the Ouidad climate control shampoo & conditioner, but I'm wondering if there is something better. I was tempted to try KK Come Clean bc I like the knot today & curling custard, but the reviews swayed me against it. Thanks for the advice about curl keeper! I was so curious as to wether it had any hold or not. I hate when I buy a curl cream thinking it provides definition & hold but only provides a little definition. It seems like some trick you in their descriptions lol.
    A lot really still comes down to trial and error. I've become much more picky about what I'm even willing to try at this point, and I set a goal of keeping my stash under 40 products (that allows for trying one or two new things and allows enough variety to rotate products since I generally cleanse daily). I also found that as my hair got healthier (and I became better at understanding my hair), I have altered products and techniques. What used to work when my hair was damaged stopped working so well when my hair was healthy, and vice versa. But I think the constant adventure is one of the really cool things about having curly hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    It sounds like we have the same properties. My hair is fine in texture, thick in density, with normal porosity and elasticity. My hair is very protein craving, so pretty much everything I use now has protein in it. I have tried to over-protein my hair and have never been able to. My current favorites are as follows (I'm about due to update my signature, so this doesn't match exactly):
    Cleansers: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea conditioner (co-wash, my one and only protein-free product), DevaCARE No-Poo and Low-Poo. I also had good results with Curl Junkie Daily Fix and Gentle Cleansing Shampoo (low-poo), but I get similar results with Deva, which is readily available on the ground for me.
    Conditioners: Spiral Solutions Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner, DevaCARE One Condition, Regis Olive Oil Conditioner (available at the salon in Walmart). I also liked Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner. I typically use my regular conditioner as my leave-in, but I also regularly use Spiral Solutions Repairing Protein Treatment as a leave-in (was not kidding about protein floozy hair).
    Styling Products: Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel, Deva Ultra Defining Gel and B'Leave-In (especially using Scott Musgrave's MAP technique- it's not just for wavies), Curl Junkie Curl Queen Gel, CHS Curl Keeper (rare for me protein-free product), AG Re:Coil

It's probably buried a few pages back, but there's an awesome thread in the 2s forum called Share Your Hair Biography, which will give you one-stop browsing for people with similar properties without needing to read signatures (I do most of my posts from my phone, so I never see signatures, either).

This has been a great help for me thank you!
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file