Hair styling rut

nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
I'm in a hair styling rut! My hair is just a little bit above shoulder length (unstretched) and is a combination of mostly 3C with some 3B around my nape and ears and 4A on my top layers towards the back. I like to co-wash or wet my hair every day because my second day is frizzy/undefined/tangled no matter what I do.

I've been looking at Youtube videos but almost all the hairstyles are on second day hair or stretched out hair. I'm not really interested in stretching out my hair either or doing twist outs. And a lot of them are just not very practical for everyday styles because I'd rather not spend more than 10-15 minutes styling my hair in the morning.

I've been wearing my hair mostly in high ponytails (like a pineapple), high buns, and high afro puffs. I often accessorize with a headband.

I prefer to keep my hair out of my face and I don't like wearing it out/down very often because it annoys me. But I still want to show off my curls.

What simple-ish styles do you curlies wear? I feel like my hair looks the same every day. Even my co-worker told me that my hair never changes.
Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    instead of putting your hair up, what about letting it down and putting a clip to keep the front part off your face? you know, a side part and a small clip?
    that would both show off your curls and keep your hair off your face.
    are there any particular styles you would like to have?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    How about leaving it down and flat twisting or braiding the front sections back to behind your ear?

Look up sdecordovaxxx on YouTube. She has some super cute hairstyle videos for shorter hair, and they seem pretty simple to do.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I second the idea of braids and twists, and agree with the others when they suggest you could let your hair down more.

Do you have layers or all one length?
  • lori.mattoxlori.mattox Posts: 210Registered Users
    I have the same problems only my curly hair isn't long enough for a ponytail so what I have found to work the best for me is a faux hawk where I pin the sides up towards the middle, rewetting only requires the middle part, and I just have to smooth the sides. Sometimes I will also just smooth the one side for a sort of fake sideswept look. Hope that helps!
    3C/4A Fine texture, low porosity, low/medium density? Trying CG since Dec. 2013
    Shampoo: Curl's Creamy Curl Cleanser or clarifying shampoo when needed.
    Co-wash: Curl's coconut curlada
    Deep Condition: Experimenting in the kitchen
    oil: flaxseed and coconut for treatments
    Styler: Tresemme conditioner, alone or mixed together with aloe vera gel
    Sealer: aloe vera juice
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same hair length issue. I'll try that faux hawk. Sounds cute!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    instead of putting your hair up, what about letting it down and putting a clip to keep the front part off your face? you know, a side part and a small clip?
    that would both show off your curls and keep your hair off your face.
    are there any particular styles you would like to have?

I like half up and half down styles sometimes but I can't find clips that will hold my hair! I have to to use a bunch of bobby pins, which isn't so bad, but it's sometimes not the quickest hairstyle. I also have to make sure my detangled and sometimes I don't have time in the morning to detangle.
    sixelamy wrote:
    How about leaving it down and flat twisting or braiding the front sections back to behind your ear?

Look up sdecordovaxxx on YouTube. She has some super cute hairstyle videos for shorter hair, and they seem pretty simple to do.

I don't know how to flat twist or flat braid but I could learn.

That girl has some interesting styles and I've subscribed to her videos. My hair is a bit longer than hers or perhaps, it looks a bit looser.
    Korkscrew wrote:
    Do you have layers or all one length?

I have layers all over. My hair stylist has a cutting technique where he twirls my hair and then snips the ends of the twirls, resulting in a variety of layers. It looks really pretty when I wear my hair out (my hair has a shape rather than looking like a triangle) but it can make certain techniques difficult because my hair is going in all different directions.
    ori.mattox wrote:
    I have the same problems only my curly hair isn't long enough for a ponytail so what I have found to work the best for me is a faux hawk where I pin the sides up towards the middle, rewetting only requires the middle part, and I just have to smooth the sides. Sometimes I will also just smooth the one side for a sort of fake sideswept look. Hope that helps!

Unfortunately, my hair is too long and in too many layers to do a faux hawk. I've tried it but you couldn't even tell I did a faux hawk.

Another "problem" of mine: I have a birth mark on my head, near my hair line/near the front of my hair. It's about the size of a quarter and it's raised and red. Fortunately my mass of hair covers it but I still have to be careful when I'm making any side parts or when I try to slick my front of my hair back.

I have been attempting to try new things with my hair and this is what I've tried so far:
    • Half up half down in faux twists (I liked it but I had just freshly detangled my hair so it worked out. I got a few compliments. But as my hair dried, my hair got really poofy and my bobby pins moved places, lol)
    • Low, loose bun with curly tendrils coming out (it was okay)
    • 80's style side pony (I personally thought this was fun but no one said anything about it)
    • A really bad attempt at doing a side braid (my hair kept sticking out of the braid and you couldn't even tell my hair was in a braid, it just looked like a huge dread loc) with a slouchy beany and tendrils coming out (I got a few compliments on how cute my hair looked but I think it was the hat rather than the actual hair style)
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

• tabby90tabby90 Posts: 3Registered Users
    I often wear my hair in an easy messy bun low on the back of my head but on days when I want it down and my curls are looking good I use 2 bobby pins on each side to loosely pull back just a small piece from the top front of each side (above temples). This keeps it out of my face and doesn't give the weird triangular shape in back that pulling back the top half of my hair does.
    nana_banana; I hope that breaking out of your rut is going well, and kudos to you for trying new things! I have been on a similar mission unsuccessfully, because I'm still rocking pretty much only wash-n-go's and few protective/updo styles unless you count sprtizing my hair for 3-4 days instead of starting over each day.

How do you do the faux twists that you tried? I'm assuming it wasn't too hard, and would love to add it to my list of know how.

I saw that you said you didn't know how to braid in response to another poster. To flat twist take a section of hair, split into two pieces just like you are doing a two strand twist.
    Step 2: I usually twist 2-3 times, then use my fingers to slide through a section of hair perpendicular to the twist, and add it to one side.
    Step 3: Do the same thing, only add that perpendicular section to the other piece of twisted hair, and keep alternating until you don't have anymore hair and you can just two-strand twist to the end of your hair. With the extra hair you can put it on flexirods or perm rods, pincurl them, or put them into a bantu knot to have lots of curl at the ends. Sleep on it and take it out in the morning or after a few days, but I think to really have definition you would need to add whatever holding product you like for your hair.

Braiding is the same concept with 3 strands instead of two; alternating pulling hair in from two sides instead of one. Step 1: Split a section of hair into 3 equal parts; let's label them piece 1 for the left, piece 2 for the middle, and piece 3 for the right.
    Step 2: Take piece 3 and cross it over top, or underneath piece 2.
    Step 3: Take piece 1 and cross over top or underneath piece 3. This is the start of a plait or a french braid (over top) or a cornrow (dutch/underneath).
    Step 4: To make it a braid, make a perpendicular hair section on the right side of your head and add it to piece 2 (which is in the position that piece 3 started in on the outside, right), then cross it over/under piece 1 which got crossed into the middle.
    Step 5: Make a perpendicular hair section on the left side of your head and add it to piece 3 (which is where piece 1 started on the outside, left). Continue down the length of hair, adding hair until you have no more to add; then just continue the crossing action. Again, roller set, pin, or bantu knot the ends to make the ends look nice when you take them out.
    Good luck!
    Oh geez- I just realized what I read on your hairstyles you had tried! A side braid- man it really helps to pay attention. I'm sorry for unhelpfulness of that. (I am however still very curious about the faux twists)
    For the braid- try adding smaller sections into the braid because it makes for a more defined braid. I've also noticed smaller sections do much better on the back parts of my hair where I have layers too. Same thing goes for my flat twists. Plus- braiding just takes practice- it took me a few years to really get it right.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I don't know how to explain the faux twists. I am trying to find the video I used years ago, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I have no idea how to explain it other than I take a section of hair and start rolling it back (or sideways), picking up sections of hair as I go along. I then pin it into place.

Thanks for explaining how to do braids, but I probably still won't get the hang of it. I have this problem where my hands never want to cooperate with what my brain wants to do. I understand the theory of how braids and twists work, but I can't seem to figure out how to actually do it (and make it look good).

I guess I could practice more, but I don't really care that much, so I'll just be braidless.

Haha- that is so refreshingly honest of you to say that about braiding. I know exactly what you're talking about with the faux twists. I went. Through a phase in high school where I would do them in the front part of my hair and leave the back out to get my hair out of my face.
    Thank you for responding- I'm going to have to bring that hairstyle back.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file