Birth control blues

SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
I've been on the Nuva Ring for about 3 months now and I'm starting to hate it. Yes, it's convenient, but I don't know how long I can take these out of control mood swings. My husband is basically hiding from me because of my hair-trigger temper. I've also gained a lot of weight and it's frustrating because I was doing so well with my diet. :(

The NuvaRing claimed to offer less mood swings, so I worry about what I'd be like on the pill if that's really true. :? I'm tired of being happy then crying the next minute over stupid stuff. And my sex drive is basically gone.

I have a gynecologist appointment coming up and I'm probably going to ask for something different... but I don't know if I want to try other oral contraceptives or go for something non-hormonal. The IUD would sound great, except I've heard that it makes your period more painful (that would be really bad in my case).

Have any current or ex NuvaRing users experienced the same thing? And what helped you?
A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I had both those problems while on any form of hormonal contraception (I've used the Ortho-Cyclen, Nuva Ring and the patch). I didn't feel any worse when I was on Nuva Ring, it was about the same. Very moody and no interest in sex.

I also had a doctor recommend the ring for less mood swings, because she said that by getting hormones all day, instead of a daily spike when you take the pill, you will be less moody. It wasn't true for me.

I think the best solution is to try different versions of hormonal contraception and hope you find one that works, or rely on other birth control methods (like IUD or barrier methods). Definitely talk to your gynecologist about your concerns.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I hated the dryness and libido issues I had from hormonal contraception. In my middle 20's, I stopped using them altogether and just used barrier methods, and never looked back. The diaphragm is a very effective barrier when used properly. I used it for 20 years and never had an accident.
  • ManthaJayManthaJay Posts: 32Registered Users
    I had libido issues with the pill, and I finally went to an IUD and I absolutely love it. I had some mild cramping that Advil took care of for the first couple months until my body got used to it, but I haven't had any severe cramping or other side effects for over 4 years. I have the copper T, but there is another version that has a low hormone dose to eliminate the side effects if that is your primary concern.
  • aptheislandgirlaptheislandgirl Posts: 636Registered Users
    I hated the dryness and libido issues I had from hormonal contraception. In my middle 20's, I stopped using them altogether and just used barrier methods, and never looked back. The diaphragm is a very effective barrier when used properly. I used it for 20 years and never had an accident.

Is the diaphram still around? Wasn't it discontinued or something? Or am I just thinking of the Seinfeld episode... :?
  • avataravatar Posts: 454Registered Users
    Is the diaphram still around? Wasn't it discontinued or something? Or am I just thinking of the Seinfeld episode... :?

You're thinking of the Sponge, which was discontinued in the U.S. for a while, but is now back on shelves.
    "A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself." --- Abraham Maslow
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    ManthaJay wrote:
    I had libido issues with the pill, and I finally went to an IUD and I absolutely love it. I had some mild cramping that Advil took care of for the first couple months until my body got used to it, but I haven't had any severe cramping or other side effects for over 4 years. I have the copper T, but there is another version that has a low hormone dose to eliminate the side effects if that is your primary concern.

I'm thinking of going with the new version with the low hormone dose after the baby is born. It' seems like such an easy way to go about birth contorl
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    How badly do you want/need to prevent pregnancy?

I think FAM/NFP is an awesome method for a married couple - cheap, easy, no hassles... and no mood swings!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:

I think FAM/NFP is an awesome method for a married couple - cheap, easy, no hassles... and no mood swings!

Amneris, if you don't mind my asking, how many days a month on average did you have to abstain from sex?
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    iris427 wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

Amneris, if you don't mind my asking, how many days a month on average did you have to abstain from sex?

Maybe a week and a half every 5 weeks or so?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote:

OK, I know I'm being stupid, but what does FAM/NFP stand for? :oops:
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

OK, I know I'm being stupid, but what does FAM/NFP stand for? :oops:

Fertility Awareness Method/Natural Family Planning
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I have the Mirena IUD right now. It has a hormone to decrease bleeding in women with heavy periods. I barely get one anymore and when I get cramps they're no worse than they used to be (which they were really bad!). I am really pleased with it as it made my life easier by not having such bad periods.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    before getting pregnant with my first the pill was a great birth control method because I was such a total hormonal hag there was no way I felt like having sex. :evil:

Then I started trying to conceive and using NFP/FAM and haven't looked back since. I'm so much more aware of my entire cycle, fertile days, etc. that even though I'm not temping now I can tell which days are the days to abstain.
  • heavengirl410heavengirl410 Posts: 821Registered Users
    I used the DEPO shot for 3 years (one period like every six months), it took 1 year and a half to get pregnant after I took the last shot. After I had my first baby, when she was only 3 months old I got pregnant again, so my kids are 11 months apart. I now have the IUD and love it soo much. I don't get periods at all, light spotting like every 2 months, not even enough to wear a pantyliner.
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
    Amneris wrote:

Not getting pregnant is my main concern... I'm a junior in college and I want a few free years to get my career going.

Once I want to have kids, I think that would be a good way to go.
    A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. ~Thomas Jefferson
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    SpinCycle wrote:
    I've been on the Nuva Ring for about 3 months now and I'm starting to hate it. Yes, it's convenient, but I don't know how long I can take these out of control mood swings. My husband is basically hiding from me because of my hair-trigger temper. I've also gained a lot of weight and it's frustrating because I was doing so well with my diet. :(

The NuvaRing claimed to offer less mood swings, so I worry about what I'd be like on the pill if that's really true. :? I'm tired of being happy then crying the next minute over stupid stuff. And my sex drive is basically gone.

I have a gynecologist appointment coming up and I'm probably going to ask for something different... but I don't know if I want to try other oral contraceptives or go for something non-hormonal. The IUD would sound great, except I've heard that it makes your period more painful (that would be really bad in my case).

Have any current or ex NuvaRing users experienced the same thing? And what helped you?

I had horrible HORRIBLE mood swings on nuvaring, I only lasted a month with it. I have to be on bc for my ovarian cysts, I switched over to seasonale and have never looked back.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've had Mirena for a year and if I had it to do all over again, I don't know if I would do it. My PMS now is the same as before and my cramps are the same to worse. I am finally now at the point where my period is much lighter, but the first three to four months were (TMI alert) almost constant bleeding. My cramps the first three months were unbearable. I was doubled over. For three months after that, I had bleeding ranging from almost all the time to about half the time. (It got lighter as time went by.)

Now that I'm a year into it, I'm fine with it. If I could go back in time, I would take BC pills for the first few months of having Mirena, just to keep the bleeding under control. The doctor said a lot of women do that.

I will say this: it is convenient and it's great not having to worry about BC. It's also great not getting the migraines I used to get with the pill.

If you consider Mirena, I suggest you consider how long you want to wait to have kids. If it's three years, it may not be worth it. If it's the full five years, the benefits probably do outweigh a lot of the pain.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also have a horrible reaction to hormone therapy birth control. Some pills have lower doses, and I'm a little crazy, and then some have higher doses, and I'm certifiable. Even the ones who are supposed to have a lower risk of mood swings makes me crazy.

After I had my daughter I tried going on a progesterone only pill - and those were supposed to have no mood swings - I was crazy within a week of taking them.

I've given up, and I stick by working with my cycle - which has worked fine for the 4 years dh and I have been together.

Being that you're so young, and DO NOT want to risk pregnancy, I would strongly advise you to make sure you're using condoms as well, combined with anything else you're doing. But you should always be using condoms anyway - no matter how much you trust somebody, you can never really trust them, ya know.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    babywavy wrote:
    I also have a horrible reaction to hormone therapy birth control. Some pills have lower doses, and I'm a little crazy, and then some have higher doses, and I'm certifiable. Even the ones who are supposed to have a lower risk of mood swings makes me crazy.

After I had my daughter I tried going on a progesterone only pill - and those were supposed to have no mood swings - I was crazy within a week of taking them.

I've given up, and I stick by working with my cycle - which has worked fine for the 4 years dh and I have been together.

Being that you're so young, and DO NOT want to risk pregnancy, I would strongly advise you to make sure you're using condoms as well, combined with anything else you're doing. But you should always be using condoms anyway - no matter how much you trust somebody, you can never really trust them, ya know.
    Umm...this is one of the rudest things I've read all day. :? Are you serious?
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:

Do you use condoms with your husband, always?

I have the copper IUD. The cramps were worse for several months (pretty bad) and the bleeding was heavier and almost constant. It's all back to normal now. I am still happy with it, though. I did not want hormones. We had a diaphragm and it worked great as birth control because just the very thought of getting it out killed my desire, so that was not so much what we wanted.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    babywavy wrote:

Say what? How do people get pregnant, then? If a marriage is so shaky that the partners feel they have to worry about disease and using condoms and not trusting one another, they probably shouldn't be married.

.png

534Pm5.png

I'm with Amneris 100%. That's why I was so :shock:.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    I am going to hope that she skimmed over the post and missed the part where SpinCycle is married.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
  • SpinCycleSpinCycle Posts: 724Registered Users
    babywavy wrote:

We'll use condoms when mess may be a factor... I'm kind of a neat freak. But as for "not really knowing," we were both virgins when we started dating. And you could definitely tell. :lol:

The IUD was a consideration, but before I was on BC, I had HORRIBLE periods. So bad that I could barely walk. The thought of making them worse doesn't really appeal. Another strike against it was that my mom got preggers with the IUD... and dad said he could feel the string. :lol: But since my husband doesn't mind using condoms every now and again, the pregnancy risk shouldn't be too big of a factor.

I'm not too familiar with Mirena, but I don't know if I want to deal with more hormones. I'll have to look into it.

The only thing that would stop me from getting a diaphragm would be the pre-planning... we're both somewhat spontaneous and I like being able to just go for it and not think about grabbing a prophylactic.
  • CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    I don't see why using condoms is such controversial advice. Condoms are never a bad idea. Even if you're married, you never know. Cheating is prevalent in our society. People think it's never going to happen in their relationship, then it does. Marriages change, things happen. I'm not saying don't trust your partner because I could never marry someone that I didn't have a great trust and confidence in, but cheating happens to unsuspecting people. All it takes is your partner sleeping with another, then sleeping with you to contract something harmful. HPV, STDs and cancer have me freaked out now with all the commercials lately. I'm considering getting the HPV vaccine despite having concerns with it. I do trust my SO, but I'd like to have the shot and get into the habit of using condoms all the time because down the road who knows what will happen and if I'll ever be with other people - I'm still young.

My SO and I use condoms all the time. They're our main form of birth control (w/spermacidal gels). No babies yet. I want to start taking the pill though. We had the baby talk and agreed that we would both be there for one another and the baby no matter what if the bc fails. We're both financially responsible and equipped to take that on. However, we went through a tumble in our relationship and I missed a period right then... I'm looking into the pill now - low dose pills like Yasmin and Loestrin. I don't want the hormonal side effects. Anyone use either of those? Even when on the pill, I want him to use condoms. It's good to have double the ammunition and plus, I prefer them now, much to my SO's chagrin.
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
    Another strike against it was that my mom got preggers with the IUD... and dad said he could feel the string. But since my husband doesn't mind using condoms every now and again, the pregnancy risk shouldn't be too big of a factor.

I'm not too familiar with Mirena, but I don't know if I want to deal with more hormones. I'll have to look into it.

Since you haven't had an pregnancies, an IUD probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. They're more intended for women who have had at least one full-term pregnancy. An inexperienced uterus is more likely to expel an IUD.
    I don't see why using condoms is such controversial advice. Condoms are never a bad idea. Even if you're married, you never know. Cheating is prevalent in our society. People think it's never going to happen in their relationship, then it does. Marriages change, things happen. I'm not saying don't trust your partner because I could never marry someone that I didn't have a great trust and confidence in, but cheating happens to unsuspecting people. All it takes is your partner sleeping with another, then sleeping with you to contract something harmful. HPV, STDs and cancer have me freaked out now with all the commercials lately. I'm considering getting the HPV vaccine despite having concerns with it. I do trust my SO, but I'd like to have the shot and get into the habit of using condoms all the time because down the road who knows what will happen and if I'll ever be with other people - I'm still young.

My SO and I use condoms all the time. They're our main form of birth control (w/spermacidal gels). No babies yet. I want to start taking the pill though. We had the baby talk and agreed that we would both be there for one another and the baby no matter what if the bc fails. We're both financially responsible and equipped to take that on. However, we went through a tumble in our relationship and I missed a period right then... I'm looking into the pill now - low dose pills like Yasmin and Loestrin. I don't want the hormonal side effects. Anyone use either of those? Even when on the pill, I want him to use condoms. It's good to have double the ammunition and plus, I prefer them now, much to my SO's chagrin.

There's a BIG difference in people dating and having premarital sex and a married couple. Even bigger difference if neither of the married people has had another partner.

.png

534Pm5.png

Another strike against it was that my mom got preggers with the IUD... and dad said he could feel the string. But since my husband doesn't mind using condoms every now and again, the pregnancy risk shouldn't be too big of a factor.

Since you haven't had an pregnancies, an IUD probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway. They're more intended for women who have had at least one full-term pregnancy. An inexperienced uterus is more likely to expel an IUD.
    Maybe more likely, but not common.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

True...there are other reasons why IUD's are not widely prescribed for nulliparous women too...including the fact that they often have more painful periods and cramping than multiparous women and IUD's can increase those problems, and because IUD's can increase the risk of infections that may affect future fertility. I personally wouldn't use an IUD as a nullip, and doctors that I have worked with tended not to want to use them in nullips either.

True...there are other reasons why IUD's are not widely prescribed for nulliparous women too...including the fact that they often have more painful periods and cramping than multiparous women and IUD's can increase those problems, and because IUD's can increase the risk of infections that may affect future fertility. I personally wouldn't use an IUD as a nullip, and doctors that I have worked with tended not to want to use them in nullips either.
    They won't put one in someone who is not in a 100% monogamous, long-term relationship. If you're not married, you need to say that you are committed. If you are married, you have to be certain your husband is faithful. Of course it's the honor system, but it's not something that doctors take lightly.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file