Adult? PAP came back high abnormal..

SoLastSunday152SoLastSunday152 Posts: 428Registered Users
and I'm completely freaking out. What does this mean? I need to get a referral from my clinic and get some test done. Anyone ever had this?
Lindsey
BKT'ed
becks.jpg

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    What test are you having done? Did they tell you what they meant by "abnormal"?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SoLastSunday152SoLastSunday152 Posts: 428Registered Users
    I need to have a colposcopy done. The nurse just told me there are several different levels of results, normal, etc. and mine came out the highest.
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I had this done a couple years ago and my sis in law just had it done last month.

PM me if you would like.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
  • SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    You should have another pap done. They need to verify that you have abnormal cell tissue on the cervix. They might also take a biopsy which is a bigger cell sample.

How old are you? (just give me an age bracket like 20-35!)
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    My SIL had an abnormal pap smear come back when she was 17 or 18. She had a biopsy done and it turned out that nothing was wrong. It's fairly common for pap smears to come back ambiguous, where they can't tell if there's a lesion or not, and need further testing.

I'm sure you will have nothing to worry about.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    I'm freaking out that it's HPV.
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • lauraloolauraloo Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    When a pap comes back abnormal they usually classify it as being positive or negative for HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) (sp?). It is a strain that can cause cervical cancer, so if it's negative for HPV then it's usually nothing. Even simple changes in hormone levels/stress/other things can cause an "abnormal" pap. (My very first pap came back abnormal... talk about freaking out!) If the pap is positive for HPV you should probably have a tissue sample taken to be tested. A positive HPV pap has been explained to me as being possibly pre pre-cancerous.

ETA I worked with a woman who had pre-cancerous cells removed from her cervix. She explained that they put her under and literally just scraped the pre-cancerous cells out. She has to follow up with lots of pap smears regularly, but they expect good outcomes from that type of surgery.

Since your pap came back as the highest level of abnormal I'm sure your doctors will give you the tests that you need to have, so try to relax and keep us posted.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users

Oh don't freak out!

Even if you have HPV, only a small amount of people with HPV ever get cancer. Remember that most sexually active people are estimated to have been exposed to HPV. Usually your body just clears it out.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    A friend of mine had several abnormal PAPs but everything was fine. She had a couple of biopsies to make sure, but it was all OK.
    A girl that I am friends with just had a pap come back with the same results.. and the kicker is we were both with the same guy within a few months of each other. HPV here I come?
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The last time I went in for my annual, they gave me an HPV test and a pap at the same time. It used to be, you couldn't be sure if an abnormal test meant HPV. Now you can know for sure. Ask your doctor if the HPV test is also available.

I also thought they wait until you get more than one test to order a colposcopy (they put vinegar on the cervix and see if any abnormal cells show up, at least when I did it) or biopsy (taking cells from the cervix).

I had an abnormal pap and colposcopy once years ago and eventually it turned up clear on its own. So in my experience it is possible to get an abnormal pap and not have HPV. Good luck!
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    don't freak out! this is a fairly common thing.

15 years ago, i had an abnormal pap smear and then had a colposcopy. i haven't had an abnormal pap smear since. feel free to pm me.

(i was very scared when i got the diagnosis. but, really, it was not a big deal. many, many, many sexually active women have hpv and don't know it. back then, if i recall correctly, there was no real way to know if you had it for sure or not.)

hang in there....
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • bouncebounce Posts: 297Registered Users
    It's important to understand that a pap is a screening test and a colop is a diagnostic test. So the pap says there's something abnormal here but we don't know what, and the colop determines the "what."

If you are regular with your paps and get them every year, it's likely that whatever issue is going on right now will be easy to resolve.

I know it's hard to stay calm, but just try really hard. This is very common.
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had that happen at my 6 wk postpartum for my last baby(15 yrs ago!)
    I had the colposcopy,and went back every other mo for a while,then every 3 mo,then back to yearly.
    Whatever it was-it went away.
    My ob/gyn said sometimes a virus(other than HPV)can cause the abnormal results.
    Anyway-everything came back cancer free and I have had normal paps ever since.
    I know it is scary,though!!
    Hang in there!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • juvjoyjuvjoy Posts: 670Registered Users
    this happened to me a while back. I was freaked about HPV to but the colposcopy came back fine :) :) Don't worry to much!
    Kim
    It's important to understand that a pap is a screening test and a colop is a diagnostic test. So the pap says there's something abnormal here but we don't know what, and the colop determines the "what."

bounce is right--i forgot that i had the colposcopy first; then cryosurgery to freeze the abnormal cells. the cryosurgery wasn't fun, but wasn't awful, either. and as i said, i never had another problem with abnormal paps after that.
    dp
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    it's fairly common, I've had an abnormal ones myself. You might have to do repeat paps every few months, they do have a simple test for HPV nowadays that can save alot of trouble and stress.

Mine ended up being because of a common bacterial infection caused by taking antibotics, messed up the balance in there or something like that. Just had to take some supplements for 2 weeks and everything was fine.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ETA I worked with a woman who had pre-cancerous cells removed from her cervix. She explained that they put her under and literally just scraped the pre-cancerous cells out. She has to follow up with lots of pap smears regularly, but they expect good outcomes from that type of surgery.

This happened to my sister. It was several years ago, and she has a pap done every three or six months. The only other one that came back suspect was due to a contaminated sample. They retested and she's fine.[/code]
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have been diagnosed with mild to moderate dysplasia on and off for several years now. They test for HPV at every smear (3-6 mos) and they have NEVER found HPV. I have had several colpos (piece of cake) and 3 LEEP proceedures, which basically took out most of my cervix. :shock: All of the proceedures were done awake, just numbed the cervical area. It is very scary but it's not that bad.

Just don't freak out and assume it's HPV, and even if it is, it's not that big of a deal with regular paps to check for changes. :) And you can get cancer without HPV, so they are not always tied together.

Good luck with the colpo and (((HUGS))). :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • Sweetie83Sweetie83 Posts: 110Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:

Oh don't freak out!

Even if you have HPV, only a small amount of people with HPV ever get cancer. Remember that most sexually active people are estimated to have been exposed to HPV. Usually your body just clears it out.

Yep-- I had HPV when I was 18, and I tested negative for it about 6 months after the diagnosis. Seriously - MOST sexually active women will get HPV at some point. I also had a colposcopy done, and it wasn't bad at all. A little uncomfortable, but not painful. They just pinch a tiny piece of tissue from your cervix. A cone biopsy is a little more invasive, though.
    Hair Type: 3c/4a

"I love to see a young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels. Life's a b****. You've got to go out and kick a$$." Maya Angelou
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Mar wrote:
    My ob/gyn said sometimes a virus(other than HPV)can cause the abnormal results.

This is kinda what happened to me. I had just had a bacterial infection, and literally had taken my last antibiotic the day I went for the pap. My gyno knew about the infection, but still did the test. Well, it came back abnormal (what a surprise!), but I had a follow up and all was well. So, perhaps if you've had any kind of infection recently it could throw off the results.

Sending good vibes your way! :)
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
    http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• CurlyMireyaCurlyMireya Banned Posts: 956Banned Users
    Sending good vibes your way!

Ditto that - take a deep breath. Try not to worry too much. I should practice what I preach because I always have a fear that my PAPs will come out abnormal for some reason. Are all strains of HPV detectable on a PAP, or rather, will it come up abnormal if any strains of it are present? I'm pretty sure I have it (my SO has a wart which I guess is a symptom of low-risk HPV), but it didn't show up at my last PAP and may not for awhile. It bothers me for some reason, though.

Anyway, to SLS, it's good that you're getting your PAPs done because prevention is the key. Good luck with your next appointment!
    "I'm half Hispanic, half white, and look like an Indian." - Bill Richardson
  • Aries_jbAries_jb Posts: 1,556Registered Users
    Sending good vibes your way!

Ditto that - take a deep breath. Try not to worry too much. I should practice what I preach because I always have a fear that my PAPs will come out abnormal for some reason. Are all strains of HPV detectable on a PAP, or rather, will it come up abnormal if any strains of it are present? I'm pretty sure I have it (my SO has a wart which I guess is a symptom of low-risk HPV), but it didn't show up at my last PAP and may not for awhile. It bothers me for some reason, though.

Anyway, to SLS, it's good that you're getting your PAPs done because prevention is the key. Good luck with your next appointment!

HPV that causes warts are not detectable on a PAP, so your last PAP smear shows that you are in the clear for the type of strains that can cause cervical cancer.
    www.myspace.com/littlemonkey0403
    3B that is no longer CG, but still endeavors to have healthy hair by not using sulfates.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte

It may be - but that doesn't mean that you're going to get cervical cancer! I know that commercial makes it sound like HPV = cancer, but that's not the case. And as some people have said, it's very common for a woman to get HPV at some point during her lifetime.

The reason why they're suddenly focusing on it the way that they are is because for so long doctors have kept quiet about it and not given people the information they need. For the longest time doctors would only tell women that HPV was a common virus, and wouldn't even mention that it was contracted sexually!

I KNOW of at least 2 girl friends of mine who did have HPV - really, don't get too scared about it. Good luck!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    Aries_jb wrote:
    HPV that causes warts are not detectable on a PAP, so your last PAP smear shows that you are in the clear for the type of strains that can cause cervical cancer.

Is this true? It's the first I've heard of it.
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aries_jb wrote:

Well, yes, some types of HPV can cause genital warts - and unfortunately I think they can "pop up" (for lack of a better phrase) sometime after the HPV diagnosis.

babywavy wrote:
    Aries_jb wrote:

Well, yes, some types of HPV can cause genital warts - and unfortunately I think they can "pop up" (for lack of a better phrase) sometime after the HPV diagnosis.

I actually already knew about the warts, but I had never heard that the strains that cause warts don't show up and make your PAP irregular.
    Lindsey
    BKT'ed
    becks.jpg
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    The numbers for women 18-25 are ridiculously high who have or will likely get HPV. I read in a newspaper a few years ago that it's in the high 80% range. And a SMALL percentage of HPV causes cancer. Just like Babywavy said, those commercials are throwing everything our of proportion.
    babywavy wrote:
    Aries_jb wrote:

I actually already knew about the warts, but I had never heard that the strains that cause warts don't show up and make your PAP irregular.

Oh, I see what you're saying. If I'm reading it correctly, I don't think it's true. I had a friend who had abnormal paps, had to have a biopsy, and it ended up being HPV. This was probably around 2002, and she ended up breaking out in warts like, last year or something. So hers ended up causing warts, and it did show up as an irregular PAP.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file