Redhaired folks: What does your skin look like?

slinky1slinky1 BannedPosts: 1,612Banned Users
I'm 26 and I have red hair and blue eyes. I am cool toned, and NOT an autumn, and my skin looks ruddy a lot. I hate that. I'm not sure if it is from having sun damage or acne in past years (or from having sensitive skin), but when I eat something like tomatoes or chili, my face gets pink. Exercise makes my face pink.

I probably have rosacea. I'm not sure all redheads have skin like me.

What is your skin like?
;)

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    My skin is white w/ some freckles and gets temporary red splotches easily (sun, heat, nervousness, anger, drinking,etc). I can tan decently though when I try.

Lightest shade:
    47sjzpc.jpg
    Tannest on my compter...I can get darker though:
    2u8ym4p.jpg
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    You're very pretty Shelli and I think you're hair is gorgeous!! Do you have green eyes?
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    You're very pretty Shelli and I think you're hair is gorgeous!! Do you have green eyes?

ITA very pretty and I love your hair.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    Just pale, pale, pale. :lol:

I blush easily, and I sunburn VERY easily. I can't tan. I don't have freckles on my face, but I have some on my forearms, shoulders, etc.

Silver jewelry looks better on me than gold, which I think makes me a cool...?

ETA: Shelli! I am jealous of your color. :P
    :oops: Thanks guys- yes they are green.

Does your redness only occur on your face or do you get red on your arms & chest too? When I get red, it is mainly on my chest and then I will have one splotch on my arm and some on my face.

Red splotches on chest:
    2cqbts1.jpg

• slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    Yes, very pretty picture.

So no one gets red from eating tomato sauce or sausage and peppers...and no one has any broken capillaries or anything?

ETA: I don't really pay attention to my arms and chest most of the time. When I get warm, I DO get blotches elsewhere. When I was younger and outside a while in the summer , I would get so red and people would think that it was a burn...until the next day when everything looked normal.
    ;)
  • CGECGE Posts: 1,911Registered Users
    I'm not a red head, just lots of red highlights and my face gets red when I eat hot things.

I'm very pale, too.
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
    CGE wrote:
    I'm not a totaly red head, just lots of red highlights and my face gets red when I eat hot things.

Do you think that this ever did any permanent damage to your face? I read some derm things on the 'net that said that frequent flushing can cause blood vessel damage (permanent damage). That freaked me out a little. I don't know what other people's skin is like compared to mine, though.
    ;)
    Lord I hope not! I can't control it!!! If someone puts me on the spot or I get embarrassed or basically any emotion whatsoever: BAM! Here comes the redness!

It's possible. You really don't always know what's going on back there to make you blush and get red.

I'm also very freckled. If I'm out in the sun too long or tanning bed (shut up Scarlet) I sometimes look like one big freckle. The next day they are gone and my skin looks normal again.

What are you worried that has happened?
    I used to have a signature but it disappeared and I just couldn't be bothered writing another so please feel free to ingore this.
    I don't know if I have rosacea, or if I just have sun damage and past acne damage...or if I'm just normal for a redhead. The doctors really can't say yet, either, because they only see me once in a while, and I'm young yet (the damage from rosacea is progressive, so...).

I look at my skin right now, and it looks pretty red. I can't tell if I have acne breakouts, or rosacea breakouts...or blotchiness from bcp...I do seem to react a lot to different foods...like dairy...which scares me. But I do have broken caps...so...

When I stay away from certain foods, my skin doesn't get as red. I really don't want to have rosacea, but maybe I do... :? I don't want to ruin my skin anymore, but I don't want to avoid the sixty million things you should avoid if you have rosacea...
    ;)
    So your skin is red ALL the time- not just that it turns red when you get flushed or something? Hmmm...

I can understand that. My brother and sister both have red hair, well he did before he went bald, anyway, they have really reddish toned skin and no rosacea. I think it's just one of those things that goes with having red hair. But it doesn't necessarily mean that it's rosacea.

You are probably fine, just extra prone to blushing, etc because of your skin tone.

I sometimes wish I had redder hair to go along with my pale skin. It would look better than brunette. But I guess that's normal because to some extent we all want something we don't have.
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    My skin is pale pale pale! It actually looks blueish in direct sunlight. I don't tan at all – I burn, peel, and go back to pale. Although I do freckle a lot as well.

I don't get red blotches, really, but I do bruise VERY easily, and my bruises take forever to fade. I used to be a baton twirler, and I pretty much always looked like I'd been in a fight. :oops:

Hot food doesn't seem to affect my skin, although my face gets really hot and red if I drink wine.

(And shelli, you're gorgeous!)
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Read this book called, The Skin Type Solution. Has lots of interesting stuff in it about skin types and what to use/not use fi you have fair, sensitive, dry, etc skin.
    :rambo:
    Not all the time...but a lot of the time. Especially when I'm stressed, when I haven't gotten enough sleep, or have eaten the wrong things.

My skin is damaged, though...and I have acne-like marks. It isn't the whole thing that gets red most of the time, just the damage and the acne-type stuff...it gets more noticeable.

Argh. My skin is probably the number one thing that bugs me in my life. It is like the root of all annoyances. Maybe I should just get one of those 2 grand treatments at the plastic surgeon's office and be done with it. I hate spending 20+ minutes every day carefully layering on the mineral makeup to cover this crap.
    ;)
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Why don't you go to a dermatologist? Only they can really tell yuo what options you have for acne scars and rosacea.
    :rambo:
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Shelli-You have my dream hair!
    Well, whatever you do, don't waste your money on this:
    AntiRednessGel[/url]

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Why don't you go to a dermatologist? Only they can really tell yuo what options you have for acne scars and rosacea.

Agreed.

Layering on upteen million products and layers of makeup will probably only make your skin freak out more.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    M2LR & Co. wrote:
    Read this book called, The Skin Type Solution. Has lots of interesting stuff in it about skin types and what to use/not use fi you have fair, sensitive, dry, etc skin.

ITA with this! WHile an enhanced redhead, I'm ruddy and my face can be red all of the time. I inherited my redehaded father's redheaded face.

This book has helped a ton! Sulfur masks help me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry to guano - I'm not a redhead - but shelli my hair looks just likes yours now but a little thicker(and it used to be a lot thicker and curlier )- I chopped off 7 inches and hated it at first and have been hating my hair lately, but after seeing your pic, I think it looks great!
    I've been to a couple. My original one sent me to this plastic surgeon who gave me this whole sales run-down on an expensive set of peels and laser treatments costing 1500 to 2500. The former was for having a non-board certified person do the laser work...Incidentally, while I was at the check-out desk, some girl was insisting that she DID NOT want another appointment with that non-board certified guy. So, I was like :shock: . He would have done a few spots for 550, but that was still high compared to other places. My main concern with all of that was the recovery time. It is hard enough for me to cover what I have every day, and I couldn't imagine going around with ravaged skin for three months during the treatment period.

My original derm also gave me Retin-A and an endless supply of antibiotics. I was a chicken about the Retin-A because of the whole sunscreen and breakouts issue. And the dryness/possibly going with no makeup issue. Actually, using Retin-A in my teens without sunscreen is probably what damaged my skin in the first place.

The second derm I went to gave me a scrip for Differin and Soladyn (sp?). That was like $700 worth of 'scrips that aren't covered by anyone's insurance. Do I look wealthy? I asked for a generic of the antibiotic, and I got the most annoying, itchy rash near my rectum. I stopped, and restarted...the rash went away...and then came back. That was a couple of weeks ago, so I haven't dealt with that yet. This derm will do a couple of my bad capillary spots for...250 + 12 for each pulse. She only does this one day every other month, so I'm waiting for the next opportunity. Still worried about the two weeks of bruising, though. We didn't talk about peels, so...I'd still have other issues.

Neither one of them were sure about what exactly I had...rosacea or acne/damage.
    ;)
    Maybe you should just stop putting stuff on your face for awhile. Treatments I mean, not necessarily make up. Your skin may just need a breather.
    PartyHair wrote:
    M2LR & Co. wrote:

Agreed.

Layering on upteen million products and layers of makeup will probably only make your skin freak out more.

I hardly use anything on my skin. Cetaphil, tepid water, oil-free Neutrogena moisturizer, BE. None of those make me red. Actually, even though I'm not totally pleased with the BE, it doesn't irritate my skin like the True Match I was using. I just hate that look and the time it takes to apply (due to my issues). I am doing it the best way possible for my particular skin issues though. Throwing sunscreen and Retin-A or Differin into the mix is going to make my anxiety worse. Plus, the $$ plastic surgeon said those products wouldn't do anything for me. Wasn't sure if that was a sales pitch or not.

The only thing that seems to be able to affect my skin is diet. If I don't eat the rosacea trigger foods, I'm better. But, the rosacea site says you can't eat tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, dairy (except for cottage cheese), vinegar, citrus, marinated meats, spicy foods, paprika, chick peas...it goes on and on. Basically, you can't consume anything that isn't bland and tasteless. You can't take hot showers, run, walk...It is pretty depressing.

I don't really want to eliminate all that, and I want to assume that I don't have rosacea.

After reading all of this, I should just go to the surgeon. I might be a lot happier once it is done.
    ;)
  • sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    Wait - they can't give you a diagnosis, but they're putting you through thousands of dollars worth of potentially damaging treatments? That's not OK.

I would take some time off from all the treatments, switch to as many organic/hypoallergenic products as you possibly can, and find a new dermatologist.
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
    http://a-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com/
    Skin problems seems to be so poorly understood. My mom has just developed some sort of chronic skin rash, and she has gone to three doctors who aren't sure what it is...and they all gave her different things that didn't work at all.

I remember having a couple of skin rashes as a teen, and it was the same bs.
    ;)
    I would definitely buy the book that M2 suggested.

I seriously wouldn't stress too much about it though. It sounds like it could be something out of your control.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    slinky1 wrote:
    Yes, very pretty picture.

So no one gets red from eating tomato sauce or sausage and peppers...and no one has any broken capillaries or anything?

ETA: I don't really pay attention to my arms and chest most of the time. When I get warm, I DO get blotches elsewhere. When I was younger and outside a while in the summer , I would get so red and people would think that it was a burn...until the next day when everything looked normal.

I get red from spicy foods, wine, beer if I overdo it, exercise...

It's funny to see people come up to me and ask me if I'm OK after a run. I get very red.

Along those lines, I just have to avoid those foods or deal with food related redness.

I also have a few broken capillaries around my nose. I may do something about them later, but they do not bother me right now.

I cannot handle Cetaphil or Bare Escentuals foundation as they make me more red - also itchy in the case of the BE, although I can use their eye stuff.

FWIW, I was diagnosed with rosacea if that helps.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm red on the forehead, nose & cheekbones all year, but of course worse in the summer because I'm pale & burn so easy. It doesn't matter if I use zinc or any high SPF block. It practically slides right off, especially on my Rudolph nose.

I blush like Shelli does. Shoot, I could be looking at or replying to something on nc.com & blush!

And starting in January I'd get a severely flushed face that could have stemmed from a recent surgery, a blood clot in my arm, a spike in blood pressure, any of the two medications for the surgery & clot, feverish from sinus & chest virus, being upset or peri-menopause.

I don't know if I have rosacea as my doc's waiting until I'm off elidel for excema-like patches, & oral medications for other problems. She doesn't want me mixing drugs & ending up with a reaction on the face & not being able to figure out what it's coming from.

I get a little sweaty & warm in the face when I eat spicy foods, but I'm not watching myself eat in a mirror to tell if my face actually turns red.

Lastly, I have few scars from previous acne-like outbreaks but I still break out on occasion, though it's usually due to the monthly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file