Are you smarter than a 5th grader?

kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
Did anyone watch this? It was hysterical! My husband, brother and I.... yeah, we're all not smarter than 5th graders. :oops:
2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.

Comments

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I think that was one of the funniest shows I've seen in a long time. I got quite a few of the questions right but my husband didn't. We'll most likely be watching it again. Although I did think Jeff Foxworthy talked too much I was like just shut up and let them think, that and I think they could of gotten a few more questions in then they did.
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    I thought it was cute. I knew all of the questions except which month Columbus Day was. SO did pretty well too--he missed the one about Andrew Johnson but got the rest right.

I agree Jeff Foxworthy didn't really let the contestants stop and think. The question about the area of a triangle--I got it right at home but if I was a contestant, in the spotlight with him yammering away next to me, I probably would have gotten it wrong too. Maybe it's a strategy so they don't have to give away as much money.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • LadyCurlyLocksLadyCurlyLocks Posts: 341Registered Users
    Maybe it's a strategy so they don't have to give away as much money.

I think they staged it a bit to make the adults look like they really didn't know as much as the 5th graders.
    3B Corkscrew... I'm back on the boards now! Just got The Big Chop on Monday, pics coming soon.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    Oh, I forgot to watch it, but I really wanted to. It looked pretty funny. :)

Sarah

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
    Maybe it's a strategy so they don't have to give away as much money.

I think they staged it a bit to make the adults look like they really didn't know as much as the 5th graders.

Agreed. And I'm sure they screen contestants before hand to make sure they get a lot of people who won't do well.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • kimmyckimmyc Posts: 551Registered Users
    I got most of them right, the triangle one I just guessed and actually got it right. I didn't know when Columbus day was either and DH and I both missed the Andrew Johnson question.

I thought they could have gotten more questions in too if Jeff Foxworthy stopped yammering.

I don't think it's so much that they're smarter than the adults than that the info is fresh to them. It was really funny though. I think we'll be watching it again too. :lol:
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i saw it towards the end.. the the impeachment question and then the lady..

i agree jeff foxworthy was just yammering away.. but what was up with that girl not knowing what rem stands for.. and she seemed so unsure about the mayflower..

the kids were kinda funny.. there was one, i think alana (?), she was laughing at everything said.. they obviously didn't get all the humor but they would laugh if the audience did :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    ok I was riveted. I want to go on the show. but then again maybe I shouldn't because I'm still disputing the Triangle question. I think the answer should be 2.

HxL=V right? If the L was 8 and the V was 16 then the H should be 2 right? am I showing how bad at math I am right now?
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

FreeCurls wrote:
    ok I was riveted. I want to go on the show. but then again maybe I shouldn't because I'm still disputing the Triangle question. I think the answer should be 2.

HxL=V right? If the L was 8 and the V was 16 then the H should be 2 right? am I showing how bad at math I am right now?

What is V? The area? Does anyone remember the question on the show? I remember thinking 4 was the right answer, but now I can't remember what they were asking.

:lol:
  • KCLKCL Posts: 1,663Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote:

The area of a triangle is 1/2 (base x height).

The area of squares and rectanges is (length) x width

volume is a 3 dimensional property and for a cube would be length x width x height
    If there were more people on earth who desired their own happiness more than the unhappiness of others we would have a paradise ~ Bertrand Russell
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    a-HA! thanks KCL. and yes I meant V to equal Area. see how far removed I am from school? This is why I shouldn't be on that show. LOL
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    FreeCurls wrote:

What is V? The area? Does anyone remember the question on the show? I remember thinking 4 was the right answer, but now I can't remember what they were asking.

:lol:

The formula for the area of a triangle is "area equals one half base times height" or a=(1/2)bh. The question said the area was 16, and the base was 8, and wanted to know the height. So if you plug those in you get 16=(1/2)(8)(h), so the height is 4.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    I watched it too, and the only one I missed was the impeachment question (Andrew Johnson). I couldn't believe the other questions were missed, especially the triangle! Kind of sad and scary at the same time. :?
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif
    lushaholic wrote:
    I watched it too, and the only one I missed was the impeachment question (Andrew Johnson). I couldn't believe the other questions were missed, especially the triangle! Kind of sad and scary at the same time. :?

I couldn't believe that the guy who majored in American history missed the question about Andrew Johnson.
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    I just saw a couple minutes of it. I had watched the previews and laughed at the idea. I knew the questions I heard (impeachment, and the prime number one on the commercials) but my first thought was, "uh-oh, they're showing little kids that some of this crap you really *don't* need to know in the 'real world.' KWIM? There are a lot of things in school that I learned, and while it's good I know them, I have never ONCE used in my daily life out in the "real world." Maybe I'm just a smartass, but if I was a kid on that show, that would be my first thought :lol:
    DPTFm5.png
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    I knew the questions I heard (impeachment, and the prime number one on the commercials) but my first thought was, "uh-oh, they're showing little kids that some of this crap you really *don't* need to know in the 'real world.' KWIM? There are a lot of things in school that I learned, and while it's good I know them, I have never ONCE used in my daily life out in the "real world." Maybe I'm just a smartass, but if I was a kid on that show, that would be my first thought :lol:

Oh my word, that is so true!
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    I just saw a couple minutes of it. I had watched the previews and laughed at the idea. I knew the questions I heard (impeachment, and the prime number one on the commercials) but my first thought was, "uh-oh, they're showing little kids that some of this crap you really *don't* need to know in the 'real world.' KWIM? There are a lot of things in school that I learned, and while it's good I know them, I have never ONCE used in my daily life out in the "real world." Maybe I'm just a smartass, but if I was a kid on that show, that would be my first thought :lol:

While I agree that most people never need to use a lot of what they learned in primary or secondary school, I still think it's important to get a good education. Elementary school education is a good foundation for life and I do think it's kind of upsetting how little some of these adults know. I know I'll get some of the questions on the show wrong too but I least I know the answers to many others.

I mean, maybe if people were better educated and had better critical thinking skills, or country wouldn't be in some of the positions it is right now, KWIM?
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    iris427 wrote:
    Rheanna83 wrote:

While I agree that most people never need to use a lot of what they learned in primary or secondary school, I still think it's important to get a good education. Elementary school education is a good foundation for life and I do think it's kind of upsetting how little some of these adults know. I know I'll get some of the questions on the show wrong too but I least I know the answers to many others.

I mean, maybe if people were better educated and had better critical thinking skills, or country wouldn't be in some of the positions it is right now, KWIM?

Yep, I agree 110% and overall, it is very important that we know these things. I was being a little silly really. Just for example - geometry. Hated it with a passion, went home every day and told my mom, "I'll never use this crap again!" and I haven't. So I don't really remember it. But that's just me. I'm aware that lots of people do use it.
    DPTFm5.png
    Rheanna83 wrote:
    iris427 wrote:
    Rheanna83 wrote:

Yep, I agree 110% and overall, it is very important that we know these things. I was being a little silly really. Just for example - geometry. Hated it with a passion, went home every day and told my mom, "I'll never use this crap again!" and I haven't. So I don't really remember it. But that's just me. I'm aware that lots of people do use it.

I understand. I know there's no way I could pass my high school math classes now, and it hasn't been that long. But I do find it alarming that people don't know very basic things from subjects like math, US history, etc.
    By the way, did anyone find it amusing that they called biology "animal science?" I bet all those smart kids were like "excuse me, it's called biology."

Animal science is a real discipline, and the questions on this show (like about penguins and polar bears) do not apply to real animal science.
    iris427 wrote:
    By the way, did anyone find it amusing that they called biology "animal science?" I bet all those smart kids were like "excuse me, it's called biology."

Hehe, yeah I caught that too. First I thought they had just changed the name in order to interest more kids, but then I realized it was probably for the benefit of the adults. :lol:
  • melloweermelloweer Posts: 2,308Registered Users
    It's actually called Animal Science in 1st through 4th grade here too, same thing just not on the same level. I love this show. Too bad its only 3 nights. My son is in 5th grade and he thinks it's the coolest show ever. Major ego boost he got from the first guy who missed all the q's, while my son got it right. He's done really good and only missed one which was the president and he actually said Andrew Jackson instead of Johnson. His class actually talked about it today at school, the teachers were asking the kids if they had watched the show, he said most of them did hehehe.
    I can't believe she actually thought Mexico had the longest border with the U.S??? Please tell me she was being that dumb on purpose just because she knew the kid would have the right answer. And not knowing how many decades in a millenium?? I guess they're not trying to pick the smarter people though or there wouldn't be any point to the game. :?
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    does anyone know if the kids get some type of prize for being on the show?

also, this should be an hour show...30 minutes is not enough time.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I missed the last question both nights. . . Andrew Jackson and Andrew Johnson. . . can never keep them straight. I knew measurements would throw me. I got a century and a millenia mixed up when trying to figure that question out.
    3b/c
    i like this show, but i don't like jeff as the host.

as some other curlies mentioned, he talks way too much. at least regis used to let the people think for a minute.
    melloweer wrote:
    It's actually called Animal Science in 1st through 4th grade here too, same thing just not on the same level. I love this show. Too bad its only 3 nights. My son is in 5th grade and he thinks it's the coolest show ever. Major ego boost he got from the first guy who missed all the q's, while my son got it right. He's done really good and only missed one which was the president and he actually said Andrew Jackson instead of Johnson. His class actually talked about it today at school, the teachers were asking the kids if they had watched the show, he said most of them did hehehe.

Ah, I didn't know that. That seems pretty silly to me--like assuming kids can't learn the word biology so they have to dumb it down for them.

And the question they asked on the show was not real Animal Science, which studies domesticated animals, not polar bears and penguins.
    iris427 wrote:
    melloweer wrote:

Ah, I didn't know that. That seems pretty silly to me--like assuming kids can't learn the word biology so they have to dumb it down for them.

And the question they asked on the show was not real Animal Science, which studies domesticated animals, not polar bears and penguins.

when i was in grade school...well, i don't remember what it was called. what people now consider jr. high, we had earth science and something else...i can't recall. in high school it was biology.

off the of my head, i don't recall having animal science.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file