CurlTalk

Stay CG or switch back to shampoo?

Curlee'smomCurlee'smom Posts: 81Registered Users
I know this doesn't sound like a good idea, but I want you input.

I was CG and had a great routine that worked well for me. Then the hair began falling out. I have lost at least half of my hair. I don't have any blatant bald spots...yet. It has been an all over hair loss.

I saw my gp and he said that my tsh was within range (barely) and didn't do any other tests. He said in the letter that he could refer me to a derm....if it is persistent and bothers me. :banghead: Ha!! Yes. It is persistent (since June) and bothers me....that's why I saw him!!! So...I see my new endo in Nov. And am weighing the derm. I think I'll call for a referral, but I don't know when they'll fit me in.

The problem is...my hair is stringy and lame. I had been thinking that the change in seasons was doing a number on my hair, but then I realized that it was due to hairloss. So I tried washing with a regular old shampoo sample yesterday followed by my As I am co-wash and then Shea Moisture Milk. This worked pretty well. But I am afraid to do this consistently. I don't want to cause more damage or stress. I just don't know what to do with it. I used to have nice clumps. Now I have a stringy mess.

BTW...I'm 2C/3A if it helps. Although, I am leaning more towards the 2 end due to hair loss.
I REALLY need a smilie that is crying a river of tears here...

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    From what I've seen, many of the people who experienced hair loss with co-washing did fine with sulfate-free shampoos, which are still CG friendly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    I know this doesn't sound like a good idea, but I want you input.

I was CG and had a great routine that worked well for me. Then the hair began falling out. I have lost at least half of my hair. I don't have any blatant bald spots...yet. It has been an all over hair loss.

I saw my gp and he said that my tsh was within range (barely) and didn't do any other tests. He said in the letter that he could refer me to a derm....if it is persistent and bothers me. :banghead: Ha!! Yes. It is persistent (since June) and bothers me....that's why I saw him!!! So...I see my new endo in Nov. And am weighing the derm. I think I'll call for a referral, but I don't know when they'll fit me in.

The problem is...my hair is stringy and lame. I had been thinking that the change in seasons was doing a number on my hair, but then I realized that it was due to hairloss. So I tried washing with a regular old shampoo sample yesterday followed by my As I am co-wash and then Shea Moisture Milk. This worked pretty well. But I am afraid to do this consistently. I don't want to cause more damage or stress. I just don't know what to do with it. I used to have nice clumps. Now I have a stringy mess.

BTW...I'm 2C/3A if it helps. Although, I am leaning more towards the 2 end due to hair loss.
    I REALLY need a smilie that is crying a river of tears here...

Sorry to hear you are struggling with shedding and don't yet have a diagnosis. You don't have to conditioner only wash to follow Curly Girl, gentle sulphate free shampoos are within the method. Harsh surfactants can be detrimental in many scalp complaints, nothing stopping you using a betaine if you want effective cleansing with much reduce likelihood of irritancy to your scalp.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't co-wash and I'm still CG :) I just use a 'low poo' (the one in my signature) and it works a treat. Leaves my hair really soft and silky but also very clean - not stripping at all
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users
    G
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users
    I still use a sulfate free shampoo that doesn't strip my hair & I'm still cg. I'm afraid to cowash exclusively. I feel it's always good to 'reset' the hair. It makes the curls come back to life.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    You won't damage your hair using a gentle low-poo. I use them regularly. Sorry to hear about the hair loss, definitely seek a derm!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646