We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

4 years ago today I had brain surgery

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm here!!! My brain is still working (in a manner of speaking). Despite what one horrible, sarcastic and intimidating dr predicted...

I'm not tripping, falling, and weaving like a drunk, in fact my balance is excellent and I can walk, run, jump.

I don't have a breathing tube in my throat - I breathe just fine thank you.

I am not eating gray mush through a tube in my stomach. Had some pineapple mango salsa, roast chicken and pistachio ice cream today, among other things.

Thank you to the brilliant, compassionate dr. who said "not on my watch - I'm not going to let those things happen to you" and thanks to everyone who helped me recover - including all my nc.com friends who kept me company when I couldn't speak.

To everyone who is suffering, I send the warmest, most heartfelt e-vibes that your situation improves!!!!!

L'Chaim - to life! Have a treat tomorrow - just for me and enjoy - enjoy - enjoy !!!!! :blob8::icescream::thumright::wave::coffee2::sunny::toothy4:
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    Congratulations!!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,739Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Wow, it doesn't seem like it's been 4 years already! Happy anniversary!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks, Jeepy and Eilonwy! The anniversaries of my operation are more important to me than my birthday. The entire experience was the most significant of my life because it changed me so profoundly. I suppose it's like going through a war.

{{{Eilonwy & Jeepy}}}
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 938Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't believe it either! I remember your posts - congratulations on persevering and good health to you in the future!!!

I'm feeling my age in that my daughter went on her first date tonight to her junior year homecoming dance. Viva youth and don't we feel old :)

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
    Thanks, asugirl! I hope your daughter had fun, but you are still in the running! You have a youthful vibe.:sunny:
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Congrats CP!!!
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• reenireeni Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You are an inspiration and role model for all of us. You have such a wonderful attitude about life that you've made me a better person. Thank-you for being you, and congratulations on your fourth birthday:occasion7::angel7:!!
    What a WONDERFUL day!!
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,756Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm another that can't believe it's been four years already. I'm so glad you were able to prove that unpleasant doctor wrong.
    May your good health continue. Congratulations!
    3b in South Australia.
  • SaMmIe10SaMmIe10 Posts: 243Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wow, I am new here so didn't know about this but just wanted to say that you sound like an amazing person. Congratulations!
    Hair Type: Combo of 2A, 2B and 2C ... with a weird straight underlayer :dontknow:
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Low Poo: Yes To Cucumbers Color Protection Shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 Moisture Milks
    Styler: KCCC
    Gel: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel, Tigi Bed Head Creative Genius gel

Started CG 9/10/13
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What a fantastic thing to celebrate! So thankful for your healing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Blessings to you! How time flies 4 whole years. Congratulations ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Posts: 429Registered Users
    Curlypearl, it's also a 4 year anniversary for me. 4 years ago I had back surgery, and despite all of the possible future risks (paralysis, losing screws in my spine, to name a few), I've recovered fully. I'm glad that you've made a full recovery, and wish you the best!!! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • lucyprimroselucyprimrose Posts: 166Registered Users
    Congratulations, and thank you for sharing with us. I was not on the board 4 years ago, but I am so happy you are well and the doomful predictions were not right. It is so interesting that you say the transformation was so great that it is more significant in a way than your birthday.

Glad to hear you came through your op well too Elizabeth Faith. Very very scary stuff.
    UK based wavy :hello2:

Mostly waves, but curls and straight bits too!
    Fine to medium, high porosity, medium density, very low elasticity
    Highlights damage (growing it out), seems to like protein and need lots of moisture.

Cleanse - CJDF, trying out low poos ; Co wash- Uk chemist brands, Urtekram Rose or Aloe, Hairveda Amala Cream Rinse; RO - varies, Tigi Moisture Maniac, Desert Essence Coconut ; Leave in - Keracare natural textures; Sealant - argan oil
    Trying out new things, still looking.
    Oh, these responses brought tears to my eyes. Thank you all so much!!!

I am very touched by what everyone said. :love6:
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CONGRATULATIONS Curlypearl!!! heres to another 40 years :blob8:
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    Congratulations! :blob8:
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • asugirlasugirl Posts: 938Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OBB wrote: »
    CONGRATULATIONS Curlypearl!!! heres to another 40 years :blob8:

OBB - that is one highly creative celebratory image - you are a trip - isn't he Curlypearl? ;)

2c/3a - fine - medium porosity & density
    Yup. OBB is unique. :laughing3:

Oh my goodness, I just clicked on that picture - eeekkk! I'm laughing, and freaked out at the same time.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users
    Congrats, CP! I am glad that I have gotten the chance to know you, and that you had a doctor who said not on my watch!

I know you had a lot to do with it, too. ;) I witnessed a good childhood friend go through a few brain surgeries after a car accident. I heard the dire predictions, and I saw him defy every one of them to the very best of his ability. He had help and guidance along the way, but he did the heavy lifting.

So again, congratulations to you!
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Four years already? Wow. Very glad you're still here with us!
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you, Ms. Pearl, for putting yourself out there and sharing your difficult situation with us. The way you have handled yourself is a true inspiration to me. You are truly a woman of integrity and so very brave! You are the very definition of courage and strength! Thank you - you are my hero!!!! :love7:
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, I can't believe it's been that long! So glad you're still with us. God bless.

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love it when a plan works out!

I'm very glad you're still here and enjoying life so much. :)
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,289Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Like many others, I can't believe it has been 4 years already. We love having you here (at least I do, and since I'm the one typing right now, I've decided I can speak for everyone, so there!). You'll have to let us know when it is "CHEESEBURGER DAY" so we can celebrate with you again!

:love7:
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    I feel honored by all these warm responses! :notworthy:

As for the next "cheeseburger day" on my 5-year anniversary (Next Year) boy are we going to celebrate!!!

Start dieting now because we will all gain 10 lbs that week - (it has to be longer than one day). :love10: :wave::blob5:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,565Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i'm in!!!

just tell me where and when and i'll be there!!!

:D
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,744Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You know I love you, CP, but do I need to gain 10 lbs for you? Happy Celebration!!!! I know it's been very hard for you and you've come a long way. You're a very special person.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,742Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's awesome you've overcome so much, CP!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,565Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lotsawaves wrote: »
    ...do I need to gain 10 lbs for you?

ONE mini cheeseburger - come on, Lotsa... you know you wanna!!!

:laughing5:
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    how about a brain burger. its appropriate and its quite healthy

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file